Re: Arthurs Piccup Downunder

  • arthurwade1941
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Kennedy" <brentk@...>
      > Arthur,
      > I enjoy looking at ideas from people who "think outside the box"! Your jinker/trolly idea looks great. I guess it just locks in there on the transom without messy (and occasionally dangerous!)occy-straps. (Do non-aussies call them that...I wonder?). Such a simple idea. Congratulations.
      >
      > By the way - Miles - haven't seen any recent pics from you in the group ;) Hope the Blobster is progressing well.....Brent (Tassy)
      >

      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "arthurwade1941" <mwade@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello all, I have recently completed my Piccup Pram and am about to go off for my first sail. This has been by far the fastest build of all my boats, I started cutting out the ply at Easter and finished the job mid June I had previously made the spars, leeboard, rudder etc then I was crook for a few months and had to take a break. I have posted a few photos that may interest some of you, I have a pretty nifty little jinker for moving these small boats around I have included some photos of this on the Piccup and my grandsons Sherpa. Regards, Arthur.

      Thanks for the comments Brent, I first used this idea when I built the Sherpa but I bolted the wheels on. I have a lot of old boating magazines and the idea of slotting the wheels on in this manner came from one of them so credit must go to whoever that was, but like you I like to see good ideas put forward. Regards,Arthur.
    • arthurwade1941
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "miles_bore" <miles_bore@...> wrote:

        > Hi Arthur
        > Looks like a beautiful job. If you get the chance to post some photos of her sailing at some stage that would be great.
        > Cheers
        > Miles.
        >

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "arthurwade1941" <mwade@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello all, I have recently completed my Piccup Pram and am about to go off for my first sail. This has been by far the fastest build of all my boats, I started cutting out the ply at Easter and finished the job mid June I had previously made the spars, leeboard, rudder etc then I was crook for a few months and had to take a break. I have posted a few photos that may interest some of you, I have a pretty nifty little jinker for moving these small boats around I have included some photos of this on the Piccup and my grandsons Sherpa. Regards, Arthur.

        Thank you Miles, I am very happy with the results of my labour. I used marine ply as I don't trust the construction grade available here in South Australia. I have just returned from my first row and sail, I am a bit of a chicken so I put the sail from the Sherpa on for the first run and nearly turned her over with a crash jibe. My trouble is I have nearly reached three score and ten and I was not quick enough from my seating position on the floor, I will be adding a thwart soon. The small sail pushed her along fine and I am not in a great hurry to get anywhere. The sail I had made for the Piccup is the bigger option and there is no way that is going on the mast when I am in the boat. I tried that same sail on my Welsford Navigator with the Mizzen and no Jib and with myself and a 100kg crew we were doing 9km/hr by the GPS. I also found that the boat rows great. I will post some sailing photos when I go out next. Regards, Arthur.