Re: Mikesboat

  • windgypsy34
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2009
      Hi All, I'm a bit late here since I don't check this group as often as I should. We looked long and hard to find a capable boat for our growing family and decided on Mikesboat. Lacking space and skills, we are having it pro built with a mid May launch projected. Another thought would be an open version of Caroline. Dave--- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > Then I guess the ultimate "Brood boat" would have to be Raider:
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/raider/index.htm
      >
      > Nels
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@> wrote:
      > >
      > > David:
      > > Having helped Noel Davis build what I think is the second Wooboto,I
      > can verify it is a very good design. We've only sailed it with my old
      > Piccup sail, which is about 2/3 of the correct size, but it's still goes
      > well. Haven't rowed it yet, but I bet it's better than either Piccup or
      > Frolic2.
      > >
      > > The tradeoff you're facing is that any boat large enough to take the
      > family isn't going to row as well as Wooboto; it's a matter of width
      > more than weight. Phil Bolger says the most important factor for a
      > rowing boat is fine lines and that even a fairly heavy boat with fine
      > lines will row well.
      > >
      > > BTW, if you're looking to carry a brood, have you looked at Mikesboat?
      > Also, Ladybug is a double chine, not a flattie. although it looks like a
      > flattie in picture on the Duckworks site.
      > >
      > > Gary

    • Nels
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2009
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "windgypsy34" <djchase@...> wrote:

        > Hi All, I'm a bit late here since I don't check this group as often as I should. We looked long and hard to find a capable boat for our growing family and decided on Mikesboat. Lacking space and skills, we are having it pro built with a mid May launch projected. Another thought would be an open version of Caroline. Dave---

        Look forward to seeing photos of the launching party!

        Another choice about the same as an open Caroline is Dani Jay.

        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/dani_jay/index.htm

        Could have 2 ft. lopped off the stern and still work with a small motor.

        Nels
      • windgypsy34
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2009
          Hi Nels,
          You are right about Dani Jay. I'm still secong guessing myself at times, but I do believe we made the best choice. Our builder is doing a really nice job on the boat. I'll try to figure out how to post pics to this group.
          Dave
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "windgypsy34" <djchase@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All, I'm a bit late here since I don't check this group as often as I should. We looked long and hard to find a capable boat for our growing family and decided on Mikesboat. Lacking space and skills, we are having it pro built with a mid May launch projected. Another thought would be an open version of Caroline. Dave---
          >
          > Look forward to seeing photos of the launching party!
          >
          > Another choice about the same as an open Caroline is Dani Jay.
          >
          > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/dani_jay/index.htm
          >
          > Could have 2 ft. lopped off the stern and still work with a small motor.
          >
          > Nels

        • Nels
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2009
            Dave,

            I agree you made a great choice. DJ might be OK if one's first choice is
            to motor, but not so sure about sailing it with that motor slot aft.

            Besides MB has already been proven in the Texas 200 and came through
            with flying colors.