Re: Balanced Lug Sail Question

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2009
      Hey Brent! Hope the piccup is still doing the job!

      Yeah, I learned about Kilburn's way only a couple years ago, after building the light schooner. interestingly, the schooner CAN be sailed with the same sails rigged as balanced lugs if you leave off the jib and move the sheet horses. I tried it with temporary horses and it worked really nicely. Except the foresail horse ended up in a less-than-convenient position.

      --Rob

      Re: Balanced Lug Sail Question
          Posted by: "brent_wm" bminchey@... brent_wm
          Date: Mon Apr 6, 2009 7:04 pm ((PDT))

      Rob, I just assumed that parrals on both yards was the normal way since all of my balanced lug sailing has been done in your old boat. Forgot to mention that downhaul. Need to have it tied off (but with lots of slack until the sail is set) when you hoist in high winds or the boom can follow the yard right up.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...> wrote:

      > You know, I used that approach, but it can be touchy. Make sure your parrels aren't too tight or you'll end up with the boom and yard making and X rather than laying parallel.

    • Phillip Lea
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
        I used the "halyard to a block on the yard, then around the mast, and finally ending at the lower end of the yard." But found it got too tight and too much friction by the time it neared the mast head--required way too excessive force to get it block-to-block. Did not like that at all. Abandoned that in favor of a 1/4" line with a dozen or so wooden beads from Hobby Lobby looped around mast and halyard which lets the yard rise to the mast head block like butter.

        Phil Lea

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

        > As you've no doubt seen from studying the Storer drawings, he eschews parrel beads and such. I have now built two balanced lug rigs with that type of setup, and am quite happy with the simplicity, adjustability, and nearly foolproof nature. There are all sorts of setups for a balanced lug, any most of them would work just fine... but two of the most respected names in small boat design use this type: Ian Oughtred and Michael Storer. Having sailed our Goat Island Skiff a good bit over the last few years, I can see why.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > David G
        > Harbor Woodworks
        >
        > "When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice"
        >
        > ***********************
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "windgypsy34" <djchase@> wrote:
        > >
        > > As our Mikesboat nears completion, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding handling the balanced lug main. I'm especially concerned about the yard flailing around as the sail is hoisted and lowered. We are planning to use the halyard system as shown on Michael Storer's website that brings the halyard to a block on the yard, then around the mast, and finally ending at the lower end of the yard. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I've sailed larger sloops for 40 years, but this rig is a new venture. Dave

      • gbship
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
          Phil:
          Is your mast round or square? When I used the "big bead parrel" on the Frolic2's old, square wooden mast, it worked pretty well, but did have a lot of friction a couple times. It worked perfectly when I switched to a skinnier, round carbon fiber mast. I've only used the halyard around the mast method with the carbon mast, but my friend Olivier hasn't had any problems that I know using that on his square mast.

          Gary

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Lea" <phillip_lea@...> wrote:

          > I used the "halyard to a block on the yard, then around the mast, and finally ending at the lower end of the yard." But found it got too tight and too much friction by the time it neared the mast head--required way too excessive force to get it block-to-block. Did not like that at all. Abandoned that in favor of a 1/4" line with a dozen or so wooden beads from Hobby Lobby looped around mast and halyard which lets the yard rise to the mast head block like butter.
          >
          > Phil Lea

        • David Cassidy
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 8, 2009
            On my balanced lug halyard, I use the beads, too, but I have a snap on
            the end of the line and a knot a few inches away from the last bead.
            Snapping the shackle beyond the knot keeps a the loop around the mast
            with the beads at a constant length, so there is never any binding.

            This is straight out of Michalak's writings:

            http://www.jimsboats.com/15mar09.htm

            ----------

            On Apr 8, 2009, at 6:18 PM, gbship wrote:

            > Phil:
            > Is your mast round or square? When I used the "big bead parrel" on
            > the Frolic2's old, square wooden mast, it worked pretty well, but
            > did have a lot of friction a couple times. It worked perfectly when
            > I switched to a skinnier, round carbon fiber mast. I've only used
            > the halyard around the mast method with the carbon mast, but my
            > friend Olivier hasn't had any problems that I know using that on his
            > square mast.
            >
            > Gary
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Lea" <phillip_lea@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> I used the "halyard to a block on the yard, then around the mast,
            >> and finally ending at the lower end of the yard." But found it got
            >> too tight and too much friction by the time it neared the mast
            >> head--required way too excessive force to get it block-to-block.
            >> Did not like that at all. Abandoned that in favor of a 1/4" line
            >> with a dozen or so wooden beads from Hobby Lobby looped around mast
            >> and halyard which lets the yard rise to the mast head block like
            >> butter.
            >>
            >> Phil Lea

          • Phillip Lea
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 9, 2009
              Gary,

              Mast and yard are smooth varnished round pine. I think it may have been the type of dacron halyard that I was using. And the boom is heavy. Near the top with the weight of yard, sail and boom, too much friction. (And oh by the way, mine happens to be a standing lug, but of course is the same at the masthead). But the parrel beads work great in all conditions so far.

              Phil

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@...> wrote:

              > Phil:
              > Is your mast round or square? When I used the "big bead parrel" on the Frolic2's old, square wooden mast, it worked pretty well, but did have a lot of friction a couple times. It worked perfectly when I switched to a skinnier, round carbon fiber mast. I've only used the halyard around the mast method with the carbon mast, but my friend Olivier hasn't had any problems that I know using that on his square mast.
              >
              > Gary
              >
              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Lea" <phillip_lea@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I used the "halyard to a block on the yard, then around the mast, and finally ending at the lower end of the yard." But found it got too tight and too much friction by the time it neared the mast head--required way too excessive force to get it block-to-block. Did not like that at all. Abandoned that in favor of a 1/4" line with a dozen or so wooden beads from Hobby Lobby looped around mast and halyard which lets the yard rise to the mast head block like butter.
              > >
              > > Phil Lea

            • David
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2009
                I'd agree. With our Storer-style balanced lug setup on the GIS, our yard doesn't seem to want to spear down at us. Here's a link to our very first day of sailing her - a few years back. You'll see my 10 year old releasing the halyard. He's not pulling down on the luff... just allowing the whole thing to come down as it will.

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/arbordg/3421473739/in/set-72157606036848665/

                Cheers,
                David G

                "It's a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes" -- Douglas Adams