warm day allows progress!

  • Joe Stromski
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009
      Hello all- a beautiful spring-like 58 degree day in SE Wisconsin
      allowed me to mix up a batch of epoxy and glue the buttplate down on one
      of the sides of my AF4 after work. A small step for sure, but you take
      what you can get this time of year. Hopefully I'll get the other side
      butted together tomorrow, and go 3D over the weekend. It'll be a lot of
      fun to see that finally happen after watching the frames sit in my
      garage all winter! Goal is to have it completed and some shake down
      cruises done for the Lake Pepin Messabout. I also need to familiarize
      myself with the '64 Johnson 18hp I purchased in fall, make sure that
      thing's all up to snuff.
      Regards to all
      Joe
    • Chris Feller
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
        Joe,
        Here is a coincidence for you. I am building an AF4 this winter which will hopefully be ready for the Midwest Messabout in June. I also am planning on using a 1964 Evinrude 18 that I bought and got running last fall. I live in the Chicago North West suburbs and also appreciate the 58 degree weather. I do most of my boating in southern Wisconsin. Mostly at Lake Geneva.

        I have made some decent progress the past month. I finished glassing the bottom last weekend and will be sanding and completing the bottom next week.

        I modified the boat is a couple of ways. I have shortened it to 17 feet so that it fits my garage better. Also I built my transom from two layers of 3/4 inch plywood and changed the shape to better accommodate my backup power. Currently I plan on using a 1965 Evinrude lightwin mounted on a bracket. Actually I copied the transom from pictures I saw of Max Wawrzyniak's AF4. I have also thought about modifying the cabin forward to make it easier to go to shore after beaching but haven't decided how to do that yet. I am open to suggestions from anyone. Are you making any modifications?

        Chris Feller

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Joe Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

        > Hello all- a beautiful spring-like 58 degree day in SE Wisconsin
        > allowed me to mix up a batch of epoxy and glue the buttplate down on one
        > of the sides of my AF4 after work. A small step for sure, but you take
        > what you can get this time of year. Hopefully I'll get the other side
        > butted together tomorrow, and go 3D over the weekend. It'll be a lot of
        > fun to see that finally happen after watching the frames sit in my
        > garage all winter! Goal is to have it completed and some shake down
        > cruises done for the Lake Pepin Messabout. I also need to familiarize
        > myself with the '64 Johnson 18hp I purchased in fall, make sure that
        > thing's all up to snuff.
        > Regards to all
        > Joe

      • daschultz2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
          Congrats to you both on your progress.

          Those mid-60s OMC 18s are really nice runners. Should be just right with an AF4.

          Regarding getting ashore, Jim Michalak added a small hatch forward to make the step to shore easier. I remember reading about it in the article series about his replacement of the bottom on his prototype AF4. There are photos and an explanation of his thinking as to why he designed it as he did.

          Don
        • Joe Stromski
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
            Wow- weird....maybe we can have an AF4 Regatta some day, get Rob R/S to
            join us! I'm not planning any major mods to the design, I want to use it
            for a while to determine what, if anything needs to be changed. I am
            however, going to install a basic 12v power system to run nav lights, a
            couple of cigarette lighter sockets, and a stereo. I'll be using the
            3-gang panel from Sea Dog, available at Duckworks. The one with the
            built in battery gauge and lighter socket. I also plan on a swim
            platform off the back, the one on Skiff America looks very elegant.
            There's a very strong possibility I'll do the deck out of cedar strips,
            like a stripper canoe, instead of using plywood. The transition from the
            angled 1/4" deck panels to the flat 1/2" foredeck looks a little clumsy
            to me. Strip style cedar will smooth that out, and look real sharp
            varnished. I gotta see if my patience holds out that long however. The
            weather is supposed to revert back to crap, so my progress was fleeting,
            but the epoxy seems to have cured well, and I'm gonna fire up the space
            heater and get at it this weekend come hell or high water!
            Peace,
            Joe Stromski

            Chris Feller wrote:

            > Joe,
            > Here is a coincidence for you. I am building an AF4 this winter which
            > will hopefully be ready for the Midwest Messabout in June. I also am
            > planning on using a 1964 Evinrude 18 that I bought and got running
            > last fall. I live in the Chicago North West suburbs and also
            > appreciate the 58 degree weather. I do most of my boating in southern
            > Wisconsin. Mostly at Lake Geneva.
            >
            > I have made some decent progress the past month. I finished glassing
            > the bottom last weekend and will be sanding and completing the bottom
            > next week.
            >
            > I modified the boat is a couple of ways. I have shortened it to 17
            > feet so that it fits my garage better. Also I built my transom from
            > two layers of 3/4 inch plywood and changed the shape to better
            > accommodate my backup power. Currently I plan on using a 1965 Evinrude
            > lightwin mounted on a bracket. Actually I copied the transom from
            > pictures I saw of Max Wawrzyniak's AF4. I have also thought about
            > modifying the cabin forward to make it easier to go to shore after
            > beaching but haven't decided how to do that yet. I am open to
            > suggestions from anyone. Are you making any modifications?
            >
            > Chris Feller
            >
            > .

          • Chris Feller
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
              A regatta sounds like fun. I'm sure Rob would be up for it.

              The cedar string deck sounds nice. I thought about just bringing the cabin top all the way forward to the forward frame. That would eliminate the 1/2 in foredeck but then you would have to angel the slot top rails. I'm not sure of what the best way to handle that is.

              One other thing I am planning on doing is putting a small deck inside the anchor well like Jim has in the AF4 Breve. I think that makes the anchor well easier to use and it also gives you a small amount of extra space for storage. That's the way it is done on my Philsboat and I really like the way it works.

              Good luck this weekend. I look forward to hearing your progress.

              Chris

            • Chris Feller
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
                I agree on the OMC's. I had a chance to run my Evinrude last year just before the freeze and man it ran great.

                I saw Jim's modification on the AF4. Maybe I will do it that way. I think I will wait until I get the boat upright and then make a decision.

                Chris

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                > Congrats to you both on your progress.
                >
                > Those mid-60s OMC 18s are really nice runners. Should be just right with an AF4.
                >
                > Regarding getting ashore, Jim Michalak added a small hatch forward to make the step to shore easier. I remember reading about it in the article series about his replacement of the bottom on his prototype AF4. There are photos and an explanation of his thinking as to why he designed it as he did.
                >
                > Don

              • Rob Rohde-Szudy
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
                  Definitely game, I emailed you guys privately to talk locations. ;-)

                  I'm all for the deck in the anchor well, as it also makes it a better step. I'm also all for a bigger anchor well, but that gets to be a lot of modification. (Wait 'till you see what I've done to the AF4B...) I would most certainly make the slot top full length and put in a drop board forward. This makes egress immensely easier.

                  --Rob

                  Re: warm day allows progress!
                      Posted by: "Chris Feller" chrisbfeller@... chrisbfeller