Re: Normsboat

  • Chris Feller
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 6 5:56 PM
      No there's no ballast. It is not self righting. It is quite stable
      for an un-ballasted boat though. Go the the bottom of the page on
      this link. It shows a picture of Normsboat on it's side. I built an
      AF3 which is a smaller version. Great sailing boats. Very easy to
      build too.

      http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/2001/0901/index.htm#Normsboat

      Chris Feller

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Loy Seal" <loyseal1@...> wrote:

      > I meant to say the Normsboat design.
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Loy Seal" <loyseal1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > In reading the Duckworks article about the commissioning of the
      > > Duckworks design, one of the requirements was "enough ballast for
      > > single-handing, but without water ballast."
      > > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/02/articles/normsboat/index.htm
      > >
      > > Does Normsboat have ballast and if so how much?
      > >
      > > Loy
      > > Ruston, LA

    • Norm Wolfe
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 7 6:25 AM
        The plans for NormsBoat call for no ballest other than 2 layers of 3/8
        plywood for the bottom. I have not found it necessary to carry ballast
        while sailing her. A second person, movable ballast, is helpful in
        strong winds, but I am usually sailing alone.

        Norm Wolfe

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Loy Seal" <loyseal1@> wrote:

        > > > Does Normsboat have ballast and if so how much?
        > > >
        > > > Loy
        > > > Ruston, LA
      • Jim Tucker
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 9 6:46 PM
          I launched my Normsboat in 2007 and found that 75lbs of lead ballast
          in the bow helps offset the weight of the 4hp outboard we use for
          auxiliary power and keeps her from being 'down at the stern'
          (something we should all avoid). That said, she doesn't need ballast
          for stability under sail and though she is not self-righting, she
          isn't easy to capsize either. My deficiencies as a skipper have given
          her the opportunity but she is too much the lady not to forgive.

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Loy Seal" <loyseal1@...> wrote:

          > I meant to say the Normsboat design.
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Loy Seal" <loyseal1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > In reading the Duckworks article about the commissioning of the
          > > Duckworks design, one of the requirements was "enough ballast for
          > > single-handing, but without water ballast."
          > > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/02/articles/normsboat/index.htm
          > >
          > > Does Normsboat have ballast and if so how much?
          > >
          > > Loy
          > > Ruston, LA

        • tsgosnell
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 18, 2013
            Anyone know of another Normsboat, other than the original?

            Thanks
            Scott
          • tsgosnell
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 19, 2013
              No one....I cant seem to find a record of another, doesnt mean there arent any though. Just wondering if my hull will be number 2. Johnbouy and I should have her 3D and maybe the bottom attatched by the end of January.
              Scott

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:

              > Anyone know of another Normsboat, other than the original?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Scott

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 22, 2013
                Yes Tennessee Normsboat. I saw it at the 2008 Rend Lake Messabout. It was a nice boat. I have not seen it since though.

                Chris

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:

                > Anyone know of another Normsboat, other than the original?
                >
                > Thanks
                > Scott

              • tsgosnell
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 23, 2013
                  Thanks Chris, dont know how I missed it. Good looking boat!
                  Scott

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" wrote:

                  > Yes Tennessee Normsboat. I saw it at the 2008 Rend Lake Messabout. It was a nice boat. I have not seen it since though.

                  > Chris
                  >
                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Anyone know of another Normsboat, other than the original?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Scott

                • puddleduckofdoom
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 21, 2013
                    John Boy,

                    Do you have some pictures or video of your Normsboat posted anywhere? And how did you like it in your 5 days of sailing? How did you like the way it handled compared to your Toon2? I saw a youtube video of someone's recently, but cant' remember who it belonged to.

                    Paul Cook
                    Las Cruces
                  • John Boy
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 21, 2013
                      It's a great boat.  We built the cockpit 6 inches longer and made drop boards so we can sleep in it.  We beached her every night so we would listen to the drumming all night.  I also raised the seats and inch to help see over the cabin.  Even though I'm 6'2", I did find I could see better if I sat on two boat cushions.  The inside of the cabin is 7'2" long and we're planning to build in berths for chilly or rainy weather.  The NB calls for 115 sqft main and I was sailing was 91 sgft with a 15 sgft mizzen.  I've got it set up with just enough weather helm so I can let go of the tiller and it rounds up and heaves to.  Pretty handy if you need to open a beverage, scratch, or adjust something.  I've got a 100 sgft lug hanging up in the barn that I'm going to use until I can sew a new sail.  I'm also contemplating rerigging as a gaffer over the summer.

                      It sails a little stiffer than the Toon.  A multichine boat rolls on it's second chine and stiffens up.  A single chine just starts out stiff.  For the best speed and comfort, the NB needs to be heeled until the windward cabin top is about level, maybe a little more.  Later this summer we're going to do capsize tests and deliberately knock her down under sail.  I think the fastest we went was about 7 mph.  To save time I borrowed the rig off of Looney Toon.  The polytarp main is pretty bagged out from hard sailing so I couldn't sail as close to the wind as I'd have liked.

                      I've posted a bunch of pictures on the FL120 facebook page.  It's kind of a PITA to upload pictures to Yahoo compared to facebook.  Here's a video introducing Happy Adventure.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGT-SOF-ads%c2%a0%c2%a0%c2%a0The FL120 page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/fl120/

                      It's a sharpie so it pounds a little here and there.  Rolls a little with a some beams seas.  Wiggles when it surfs off following seas. With that big old cabin, it blows off a little when sailing to windward.

                      We did cross the Pensacola pass on a falling tide.  Happy Adventure just floated like a cork on 3 to 5 foot rollers on her beam.

                      I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

                      Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                        Heres a video of Johns Normsboat, filmed from my Normsboat

                        http://youtu.be/b5PvhG2t3i4

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 22, 2013
                          Very impressive mods John Boy,

                          Lengthening the cockpit while adding the bridge deck turns Normsboat
                          from what was essentially a solo cruiser or a "squeezer" for 2 close
                          friends into a family boat for four! Also the boom gallows to support a
                          cockpit tent and the mizzen is a great addition. So are you considering
                          a gaff rig to get that mast more forward out of the cabin ? Sure looks
                          good just the way it is!

                          Nels

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 23, 2013
                            I've been thinking of rerigging HA as a gaffer for a few reasons.  First and foremost, we have some friends who have a Horizon Cat and I have serious boat envy.  The idea is to have a poor man's Horizon Cat.  Second, the Normsboat cabin is a cavern.  I've already moved the mast to the center and moving it forward two feet will give me more room for the berths and hiding from squalls.  I'm thinking of either a vee berth or two pipe berths.  I'm also considering adding a balanced jib and I can do that with a gaff rig.  And last but not least, I think a gaff rig looks cool.

                            I'm also thinking of borrowing the tabernacle design from the MusicBox boats to go with the boom gallows.  Amanda and I can rig and launch in 15 minutes, derigging takes longer.  I figure a tabernacle will shave off five minutes at the landing.
                            JB

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 24, 2013
                              Two things considered major NO NO's by most sail boat designers are
                              changing the location of the sail plan and the underwater leeway
                              prevention foils. The sharpie designs of Michalak and Bolger are
                              particularly affected because of their shallow draft and that the
                              designs call for the bow entry to remain above the water surface, for
                              best performance. If the hull goes bow down then the steering becomes
                              erratic as does the ability to tack. A tabernacle also adds considerable
                              weight in what is already a narrow bow.

                              If one has envy for a cat boat and likes the look then one should build
                              a catboat. I think the best choice is to add that sail you already
                              have:-) Or a
                              Schreodinger version of the Chebacco.

                              http://www.chebacco.com/ <http://www.chebacco.com/>

                              Nels

                              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

                              > I've been thinking of rerigging HA as a gaffer for a few reasons. Â
                              First and foremost, we have some friends who have a Horizon Cat and I
                              have serious boat envy. Â The idea is to have a poor man's Horizon
                              Cat. Â Second, the Normsboat cabin is a cavern. Â I've already
                              moved the mast to the center and moving it forward two feet will give me
                              more room for the berths and hiding from squalls.  I'm thinking
                              of either a vee berth or two pipe berths. Â I'm also considering
                              adding a balanced jib and I can do that with a gaff rig. Â And last
                              but not least, I think a gaff rig looks cool.

                              > I'm also thinking of borrowing the tabernacle design from the MusicBox
                              boats to go with the boom gallows. Â Amanda and I can rig and launch
                              in 15 minutes, derigging takes longer. Â I figure a tabernacle will

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 24, 2013
                                Two things considered major NO NO's by most sail boat designers are
                                changing the location of the sail plan and the underwater leeway
                                prevention foils.

                                Jim has the mast locations for rigging the NB as a gaffer or balanced lug on the plans using the same sail.  The position of the sail doesn't change.  Scott and I have successfully added mizzens to both the Toon2 and NB after consulting Jim.  We just copied what Jim did on the Haps Cut.  It's a winner, too.  You can adjust the mizzen to lessen weather helm and ease tiller pressure.  The really cool thing is it gives the boat an "auto-heave to."  Let go of the tiller and she heads up into the wind and parks.  As far as the weight of the tabernacle goes, assuming southern yellow pine weighs 36 pounds per cubic foot, a tabernacle would add around 25 pounds to the total mast weight at a spot two feet ahead of the current mast position.  Anyway, it'd be an experiment and easily undoable if it didn't work.
                                John Boy

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 24, 2013
                                  John,
                                  Guess I missed where Jim had already offered the gaff plan as an option
                                  - which of course no longer makes it a No No. A mizzen can be added to
                                  most of his designs as it doesn't affect the balance much if at all, and
                                  helps when tacking. I was thinking more the jib and the fact you found
                                  the cabin to be a cave. So the suggestion of the pilothouse Cat yawl
                                  Chebacco, which has a jib option.

                                  I am sure it would look really great with the jib which might require a
                                  bowsprit as well. And offers the added option of dropping the main and
                                  sailing with jib and jigger as the Brits say.

                                  Nels

                                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

                                  > Two things considered major NO NO's by most sail boat designers are
                                  > changing the location of the sail plan and the underwater leeway
                                  > prevention foils.
                                  >

                                  > Jim has the mast locations for rigging the NB as a gaffer or balanced
                                  lug on the plans using the same sail. Â The position of the sail
                                  doesn't change. Â Scott and I have successfully added mizzens to both
                                  the Toon2 and NB after consulting Jim. Â We just copied what Jim did
                                  on the Haps Cut. Â It's a winner, too. Â You can adjust the mizzen
                                  to lessen weather helm and ease tiller pressure. Â The really cool
                                  thing is it gives the boat an "auto-heave to." Â Let go of the tiller
                                  and she heads up into the wind and parks. Â As far as the weight of
                                  the tabernacle goes, assuming southern yellow pine weighs 36 pounds per
                                  cubic foot, a tabernacle would add around 25 pounds to the total mast
                                  weight at a spot two feet ahead of the current mast position. Â

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 24, 2013
                                    I'm thinking something on the lines of a balanced jib like Reuel Parker has on some of his sharpies.  See page 123 of the Sharpie Book.  They're for light air days like we get down here on the Gulf Coast in the summers.  I can make a removable bowsprit that's not very long.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 24, 2013
                                      Probably much like Bolger has on his light schooner. Should be fun to
                                      see how it compares with Fiddlestix.

                                      http://www.instantboats.com/images/lschoonerprof.gif
                                      <http://www.instantboats.com/images/lschoonerprof.gif>

                                      Too bad it won't enlarge. In the top right corner is the drawing for his
                                      home-made rudder gudgeons.

                                      Nels
                                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

                                      > I'm thinking something on the lines of a balanced jib like Reuel
                                      Parker has on some of his sharpies. Â See page 123 of the Sharpie
                                      Book. Â They're for light air days like we get down here on the Gulf
                                      Coast in the summers.  I can make a removable bowsprit that's
                                      not very long.Â