Re: QT Skiff -power

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi Kevin,

      > I do like the idea of 3/8" on the bottom and perhaps
      > reducing the 3 bilge strips. To how many, I would hope one down the
      middle.
      > Much cleaner and faster.

      I built the rowing version with a 3/8" bottom, and used two grounding
      shoes on the bottom. It's plenty stiff and the boat is still light
      enough to horse over my head long enough to get it on top of the
      pickup. I can't see any reason not to build the power version with a
      3/8" bottom.

      Jon Kolb
    • Chris Crandall
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2009
        I used the 1/4" without regrets. However, I put down a grating on my
        boat that lifts out--it's very nice, artistic even, and raises the
        center of gravity of stuff in the boat by .5 inch (but has little or no
        effect on someone sitting on the thwart).

        Setting this in involved epoxying into place a couple of athwartship
        runners that did serve to stiffen the hull bottom. Since they are
        lighter than another 1/8" plywood, and serve another purpose (holding
        the grating in place), I preferred it.

        But overbuilding is often a bad idea, and when these pile up and pile up
        and pile up--they harm the boat's performance.

        Keep in mind that the boat is designed by an experienced boater,
        designer, and engineer. He probably already knows better than you do.
        Probably.

        -Chris