Re: Mayfly 14 - complete list of lumber?

  • svagene
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Feller" <chrisbfeller@...>
      wrote:

      > Jim is pretty good about giving you the plywood requirements on his
      > plans but does not include a lumber list. You can calculate it
      pretty
      > easily by adding up the length and dimensions from the plans.
      Don't
      > forget to account for waste from saw cuts and lengths that don't
      > divide equally.
      >
      > I usually just get more than enough and have some left over for the
      > next boat. I have found I build a boat every 1-2 years so extra
      wood
      > is never a problem for me.
      >
      > Chris Feller
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "svagene" <svagene@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello!
      > > Does anyone have a total overview of the lumber needed for a
      Mayfly
      > > 14? I already have the plywood.
      > >
      > > The book (Yes, I bought it - TWICE - darn airport people lost my
      first
      > > one) says the dimensions, but a lot of places it only
      says "enough
      > > 3/4inch x 1,5inch", "some 2x4" etc. I'm just looking for an easy
      > > shopping list if anyone has any experience to share. Thanks!
      > >
      > > Sig
      > > Bergen, Norway
      > >
      > > PS: Will post my first pictures this weekend of the shop and the
      start
      > > of the boat. And heck, I might even throw in one of all the snow
      > > outside.

      Ok, thanks for the tips!

      I will just buy enough so I have some left overs then, I guess I can
      always use it for something...

      Have a nice day!

      Sig
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "svagene" <svagene@...> wrote:
        > Nels,
        > "
        > The word "Kryssfinèr" is the Norwegian word for "plywood",
        > and "plater" is the word for "sheet". "Lauan-Meranti" is the name of
        > the wood it self, I believe this is a kind of lower-quality wood.
        > I've seen on some other forums that they recommend against using
        > Meranti (which is a sort of fast-growing pine), since it often
        > contains voids and air inside the sheets.
        >
        > I use Marine quality Okoume plywood in what is known as a BS 1088-
        > standard.
        >
        > As for plywood, I'm all set for my Mayfly, it's 3 sheets of 1/4" and
        > 2 sheets of 1/2".
        >
        > Have a nice day!
        >
        > Sig

        Thanks Sig,

        I believe there is some meranti that is BS1088 certified - but I doubt
        this was it - based on the price mentioned. Here is a quote from the
        person who inquired.

        2'x4' is called Justert (adjusted) K-virke C-18, 48x098mm I
        guess. It cost kr.16,90 per length meter.

        Plywood is Kryssfinèr Lauan-Meranti plater (sheets) ("as used
        commonly in building houses in America," the guy said):

        All are 122x244 (I guess that is CM in this case)

        Thicknesses as follows: 6mm=kr.189

        9mm=kr.289

        12mm=kr.369

        15mm=kr.459

        22mm=kr.679

        This from an American lady now living near Drammen.

        2X4 "adjusted price" is about $3/ft USD - so I can see why you don't
        want to buy more than you require!

      • svagene
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2009
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "svagene" <svagene@> wrote:
          > > Nels,
          > > "
          > > The word "Kryssfinèr" is the Norwegian word for "plywood",
          > > and "plater" is the word for "sheet". "Lauan-Meranti" is the
          name of
          > > the wood it self, I believe this is a kind of lower-quality wood.
          > > I've seen on some other forums that they recommend against using
          > > Meranti (which is a sort of fast-growing pine), since it often
          > > contains voids and air inside the sheets.
          > >
          > > I use Marine quality Okoume plywood in what is known as a BS
          1088-
          > > standard.
          > >
          > > As for plywood, I'm all set for my Mayfly, it's 3 sheets of 1/4"
          and
          > > 2 sheets of 1/2".
          > >
          > > Have a nice day!
          > >
          > > Sig
          >
          > Thanks Sig,
          >
          > I believe there is some meranti that is BS1088 certified - but I
          doubt
          > this was it - based on the price mentioned. Here is a quote from
          the
          > person who inquired.
          >

          > 2'x4' is called Justert (adjusted) K-virke C-18, 48x098mm I
          > guess. It cost kr.16,90 per length meter.
          >

          > Plywood is Kryssfinèr Lauan-Meranti plater (sheets) ("as used
          > commonly in building houses in America," the guy said):
          >
          > All are 122x244 (I guess that is CM in this case)
          >

          > Thicknesses as follows: 6mm=kr.189
          >
          > 9mm=kr.289
          >
          > 12mm=kr.369
          >
          > 15mm=kr.459
          >
          > 22mm=kr.679
          >
          > This from an American lady now living near Drammen.
          >
          > 2X4 "adjusted price" is about $3/ft USD - so I can see why you
          don't
          > want to buy more than you require!
          >

          > Nels

          Nels,

          Actually, wood is not a very expensive material here in Norway
          compared to other things. (Everything else is though, pint of beer =
          $10, gallon of gas = $9.50)

          A price of 16.90kr per length meter equals to about $2.20 per meter
          or about $0.70 per foot. I have no idea what the prices are in USA
          though :-)

          Real marine plywood however, is VERY expensive. For the top quality
          stuff I bought, I paid about $1000 for 5 sheets, 2*1/2" and 3*1/4".

          Sig
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2009
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "svagene" <svagene@...> wrote:

            > Nels,
            >
            > Actually, wood is not a very expensive material here in Norway
            > compared to other things. (Everything else is though, pint of beer =
            > $10, gallon of gas = $9.50)
            >
            > A price of 16.90kr per length meter equals to about $2.20 per meter
            > or about $0.70 per foot. I have no idea what the prices are in USA
            > though :-)
            >
            > Real marine plywood however, is VERY expensive. For the top quality
            > stuff I bought, I paid about $1000 for 5 sheets, 2*1/2" and 3*1/4".
            >
            > Sig

            The NOK has dropped in value from the last time I was there 4 years ago.

            I live in BC Canada and can often get "construction grade" SPF
            (Spruce/pine/fir) 2X4's for about that price and the yard I go to
            allows going through the pile - now they trust that I will re-stack it
            properly.

            But clear douglas-fir or spruce is very expensive. Clear meranti
            "mahogany" ironically is about the best buy and is really nice to work
            with.

            http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/meranti.htm

            I have advised the lady to purchase 1/2 sheet of that meranti plywood,
            cut off a piece and run it through the dish-washer a few times to see
            how it holds up. She asked about marine grade paint and the guy
            mentioned 2-part epoxy porch and deck enamel would work if the boat
            was stored ashore. What do you think of that idea?

            I imagine epoxy is quite pricey as well?