Re: More Dorado thoughts

  • Mario Korf
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
      > Did JM suggest a length limit for a simple extension of the aft
      > straight run?

      Nope, he just said that the design would work better if it was longer.

      Personally, I'd like to see it taller in the cabin, but to do that I
      think you'd have to go wider. And then you have a completely different
      boat.

      -Mario

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...>
      wrote:

      > Mario,
      >
      > Did JM suggest a length limit for a simple extension of the aft
      > straight run?
      >
      > Dorado is a handsome boat, and IMO Michalak's best power boat design.
      >
      > You have a bunch of good thoughts. To get a bigger "Dorado Grande"I
      > had thought to take Caprice plans, and make a power version with a
      > simple straight run aft. I was thinking I'd buy Dorado plans also for
      > clues about how to build the power boat transom.
      >
      > Building a model would seem your next step.

    • daschultz2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2009
        Which gets to my point about starting with Caprice, which is 25'x6'.
        Or Cormorant, which is 32'x8', and probably to big a boat to trailer
        regularly. Then build with a straight run aft from the point where
        the sailboat bottom starts to sweep upward.

        Then there is Bolger's first Fast Motor Sailer which is a 26' Diablo
        w' a cuddy. IMO it would be a fun straight power boat, and is a
        completed and built design. There is a pic in "Boats with an Open
        Mind", and here;

        http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/mckib/Page.html

        She's called "ADA". Note the later version with more cabin.

        Perhaps the thing to do is commission the design desired from
        Michalak. I would not commission Bolger.

        Don Schultz