Re: More Dorado thoughts

  • daschultz2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
      Mario,

      Did JM suggest a length limit for a simple extension of the aft
      straight run?

      Dorado is a handsome boat, and IMO Michalak's best power boat design.

      You have a bunch of good thoughts. To get a bigger "Dorado Grande"I
      had thought to take Caprice plans, and make a power version with a
      simple straight run aft. I was thinking I'd buy Dorado plans also for
      clues about how to build the power boat transom.

      Building a model would seem your next step.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Mario Korf <retrosub@...> wrote:

      >......I got a nice email back from Jim about some changes I wanted to
      make.....

      > Length: He said making it longer is probably a good idea. The aft
      sections are parallel and it would be easy to do......

      > ......I had another thought, which was a 2" layer of Nidacore on the
      sole, and that would make an even 48" across the cockpit floor,
      leaving 6" of exposed chine panel on each side.....

      > ......it would be very easy to make an AF4 style boat
      > using the Dorado plans........This should be a plan to add to the
      AF4 family: AF4B, AF4G... and call it the AF4D.

      > Open: I had another thought recently which was to make an open boat
      from the Dorado plans, like a lightweight panga.......
      > Well, yeah, time to build a model.
      >
      > Mario Korf
      > San Carlos, CA

    • Mario Korf
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
        > Did JM suggest a length limit for a simple extension of the aft
        > straight run?

        Nope, he just said that the design would work better if it was longer.

        Personally, I'd like to see it taller in the cabin, but to do that I
        think you'd have to go wider. And then you have a completely different
        boat.

        -Mario

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2009
          Which gets to my point about starting with Caprice, which is 25'x6'.
          Or Cormorant, which is 32'x8', and probably to big a boat to trailer
          regularly. Then build with a straight run aft from the point where
          the sailboat bottom starts to sweep upward.

          Then there is Bolger's first Fast Motor Sailer which is a 26' Diablo
          w' a cuddy. IMO it would be a fun straight power boat, and is a
          completed and built design. There is a pic in "Boats with an Open
          Mind", and here;

          http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/mckib/Page.html

          She's called "ADA". Note the later version with more cabin.

          Perhaps the thing to do is commission the design desired from
          Michalak. I would not commission Bolger.

          Don Schultz