Adding a Jib

  • David C.
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 1, 2008
      I know some of you out there who are smarter than I will be able to discuss this:

      Can a jib be added to a simple, single sail boat; for instance, my Michalak AF3 (or any other simple sail boat)? What would it do to the sailing qualities of the boat? Would adding a bowsprit, boomkin, stays, etc make a difference? Would the designed mainsail need to be reduced?

      Could it be done, and if so, how?

      DC
    • Mike
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 3, 2008
        OK, here is my two farthings' worth on the topic. Before building my
        Vector, I owned a Lippincott Lightning some years back, with a classic
        Bermuda sloop rig. Yes, I could point higher to windward with the main
        and jib, but I'm not convinced that the extra five degrees or so that
        it gave me were worth all the extra complexity and work.

        When I brought the Vector to Rend Lake, I had no problems getting to
        any point on the lake I wanted. So my take on it is: If you need to
        round the buoy in a race before the other guy, then a main and jib are
        better. But it's a lot of extra work on each tack and jibe compared to
        a single mainsail. I used to be proponent of the more complex rig, but
        no more. I have a LOT more fun with just a mainsail to fuss with!