Re: Big Twin Jumping out of Gear after many attempts to fix

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2008
      Hey Dan,

      No problem on the articles, man. Like I tell Chuck, it's like Tourette's--just can't hold it back.

      Anyhow, I recently noticed something interesting on the bleeder drain. When the carb is adjusted just right and the motor is being used at 3/4 throttle or over, almost nothing comes out the bleeders. (Good design on their part.) But if the carb is running a little rich, or you throttle down really low, it starts producing oil again. Interesting.

      In any case, sounds like you have the lower unit well in hand.

      --Rob

      Re: Big Twin Jumping out of Gear after many attempts to fix
          Posted by: "stone4140" stone4140@... stone4140
          Date: Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:21 pm ((PST))

      Well I got the initiative to take the lower end off again and after
      getting a email from Max he suggested just replacing the clutch (if I
      had access to a cheap one).  So after the initiative to rip the first
      lower end apart again  I got into the 54 lower end.  Unfortunately the
      lower end itself bolts on different so I had to just take the gears
      out.  The clutch and fwr gear looked great so I just swap the whole
      gear box  into the 56. And I dislike the cowel so much on the 54 I
      just ripped every part off of it that I think I could ever need as a
      spare.  Oh ya that's how I had the shift lever adjusted I just didn't
      make it clear. It was interesting to rip apart the motor almost down
      to the bare powerhead.  I was able to explore and see some of the
      areas that were a mystery to me that I saw in an article you wrote
      about making the motor more "green" by taking the excess oil out and
      salvaging it.  So thanks for the advice and the good articles you have
      written.  I switched to fully synthetic 2-stroke oil this summer after
      reading your article. By the way one more question if anybody has any
      experience with using lubriplate gear lube on a shifting motor.  Even
      after replacing the seals last year it still leaks. I have read some
      things about using it but it always sounds like a last resort.  I
      wouldn't mind saving my local creek a couple ounces of walmart's
      finest lower end oil.

      Thanks.  Dan