Re: Toto with a sail

  • pibracing
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
      What was the problem upwind?

      Mike

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "traidna" <traidna@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > I have sailed my Toto. I mounted a mast step and partner sung
      against
      > the cross brace. I used some u bolts to attached a piece of
      threaded
      > road for the leeboard to rotate on. I mounted a rudded on the back
      with
      > a push pull type tiller. I made a Poly tarp sail to the dimensions
      of
      > the D4 dinghy. (www.bateau.com <http://www.bateau.com> ) I think
      it was
      > on a 8' mast and about 32' sqaure feet of sail.
      >
      > I would say it worked, wind moves the boat, not great upwind. It
      was a
      > load of fun, worth the effort to try.
      >
      > Tom Raidna
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anybody tried sailing a Toto? I was thinking of adding a small
      > sail
      > > and a ptvoting Leeboard with rudder to a Toto.I would probably
      deck
      > > over more of the top also.What do you think?
      > >

      > > Mike

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
        Bolger's 12' Peero is only 24" wide. It has a small gaff sail, but
        people put other types on it. it is said to be a good paddling-
        sailer. Greg Carlson found it too tippy, and added outrigger floats
        making it a trimaran. It went well. Jim's Trilars is based on
        Larsboat which is just a Toto with an 18" plug in the middle. Go for
        it... you can always add outriggers if you want to.

        For sailing, a rudder would be worth the trouble of making. Use push-
        pull pole steering like Meade Gougeon's

        <http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.php/CONTINUOUS/Tiller-
        Connections.html>

        <http://www.epoxyworks.com/16/index16.html>

        or use lines run to foot pedals.

        Cheers
        Graeme

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@...> wrote:

        > Most of the small decked sailing canoes are close to the same
        width.I
        > wouldnt consider 29 inches narrow.I might have to give it a try
        >

        > Mike
        >

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Mike,
        > >
        > > Toto is a rather narrow boat for a sail, and the paddler's
        > > position makes hiking out rather difficult. It may be fun
        > > downwind though ...
        > >
        > > Sincerely,
        > > Ken Grome
        > > Bagacay Boatworks
        > > www.bagacayboatworks.com
        > >

        > > > Has anybody tried sailing a Toto? I was thinking of
        > > > adding a small sail and a ptvoting Leeboard with rudder
        > > > to a Toto.I would probably deck over more of the top
        > > > also.What do you think?
        > > >

        > > > Mike

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
          > <http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.php/CONTINUOUS/Tiller-
          > Connections.html>

          Huh?

          brackets rackets!
        • pibracing
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
            I have a rudder from my old Michalak sailing Dinghy,I also have a ton
            of other sailing parts lying around.I might have to give this a try

            Mike

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
            <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

            > Bolger's 12' Peero is only 24" wide. It has a small gaff sail, but
            > people put other types on it. it is said to be a good paddling-
            > sailer. Greg Carlson found it too tippy, and added outrigger floats
            > making it a trimaran. It went well. Jim's Trilars is based on
            > Larsboat which is just a Toto with an 18" plug in the middle. Go
            for
            > it... you can always add outriggers if you want to.
            >
            > For sailing, a rudder would be worth the trouble of making. Use
            push-
            > pull pole steering like Meade Gougeon's
            >
            > <http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.php/CONTINUOUS/Tiller-
            > Connections.html>
            >

            > <http://www.epoxyworks.com/16/index16.html>
            >
            > or use lines run to foot pedals.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Graeme
            >

            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Most of the small decked sailing canoes are close to the same
            > width.I
            > > wouldnt consider 29 inches narrow.I might have to give it a try
            > >

            > > Mike
            > >

            > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
            <bagacayboatworks@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Mike,
            > > >
            > > > Toto is a rather narrow boat for a sail, and the paddler's
            > > > position makes hiking out rather difficult. It may be fun
            > > > downwind though ...
            > > >
            > > > Sincerely,
            > > > Ken Grome
            > > > Bagacay Boatworks
            > > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

          • traidna
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
              Probably a combination or cockpit error (me) and size and placement
              of leeboard

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@...> wrote:

              > What was the problem upwind?
              >

              > Mike
              >

              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "traidna" <traidna@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Mike,
              > >
              > > I have sailed my Toto. I mounted a mast step and partner sung
              > against
              > > the cross brace. I used some u bolts to attached a piece of
              > threaded
              > > road for the leeboard to rotate on. I mounted a rudded on the
              back
              > with
              > > a push pull type tiller. I made a Poly tarp sail to the
              dimensions
              > of
              > > the D4 dinghy. (www.bateau.com <http://www.bateau.com> ) I
              think
              > it was
              > > on a 8' mast and about 32' sqaure feet of sail.
              > >
              > > I would say it worked, wind moves the boat, not great upwind.
              It
              > was a
              > > load of fun, worth the effort to try.
              > >
              > > Tom Raidna
              > >

              > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Has anybody tried sailing a Toto? I was thinking of adding a
              small
              > > sail
              > > > and a ptvoting Leeboard with rudder to a Toto.I would probably
              > deck
              > > > over more of the top also.What do you think?
              > > >

              > > > Mike

            • gbship
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
                So put a smaller sail on it! Beth is a boat to sparkt he imagination,
                as is a sailing Toto . . .

                Gary

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@...> wrote:

                > I have been drooling over Beth for a while now,It's just to much
                sail
                > area for me.
                >

                > Mike

              • pibracing
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                  I have thought about that but I think the sails on Beth are part of
                  it's beuty.I think it was designed to be sailed healed over and
                  flying.

                  Mike