Re: Toto with a sail

  • pibracing
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
      I have been drooling over Beth for a while now,It's just to much sail
      area for me.

      Mike

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Jim Michaels <james_a_michaels@...>
      wrote:

      > You may want to check out Michael Storer's "Beth" sailing canoe (I
      believe you can obtain info through Duckworks).  What a cool boat.  I
      hope to build one someday.

      > Jim in St. Louis

    • pibracing
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 5, 2008
        What was the problem upwind?

        Mike

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "traidna" <traidna@...> wrote:

        > Mike,
        >
        > I have sailed my Toto. I mounted a mast step and partner sung
        against
        > the cross brace. I used some u bolts to attached a piece of
        threaded
        > road for the leeboard to rotate on. I mounted a rudded on the back
        with
        > a push pull type tiller. I made a Poly tarp sail to the dimensions
        of
        > the D4 dinghy. (www.bateau.com <http://www.bateau.com> ) I think
        it was
        > on a 8' mast and about 32' sqaure feet of sail.
        >
        > I would say it worked, wind moves the boat, not great upwind. It
        was a
        > load of fun, worth the effort to try.
        >
        > Tom Raidna
        >

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anybody tried sailing a Toto? I was thinking of adding a small
        > sail
        > > and a ptvoting Leeboard with rudder to a Toto.I would probably
        deck
        > > over more of the top also.What do you think?
        > >

        > > Mike

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
          Bolger's 12' Peero is only 24" wide. It has a small gaff sail, but
          people put other types on it. it is said to be a good paddling-
          sailer. Greg Carlson found it too tippy, and added outrigger floats
          making it a trimaran. It went well. Jim's Trilars is based on
          Larsboat which is just a Toto with an 18" plug in the middle. Go for
          it... you can always add outriggers if you want to.

          For sailing, a rudder would be worth the trouble of making. Use push-
          pull pole steering like Meade Gougeon's

          <http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.php/CONTINUOUS/Tiller-
          Connections.html>

          <http://www.epoxyworks.com/16/index16.html>

          or use lines run to foot pedals.

          Cheers
          Graeme

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@...> wrote:

          > Most of the small decked sailing canoes are close to the same
          width.I
          > wouldnt consider 29 inches narrow.I might have to give it a try
          >

          > Mike
          >

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Mike,
          > >
          > > Toto is a rather narrow boat for a sail, and the paddler's
          > > position makes hiking out rather difficult. It may be fun
          > > downwind though ...
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Ken Grome
          > > Bagacay Boatworks
          > > www.bagacayboatworks.com
          > >

          > > > Has anybody tried sailing a Toto? I was thinking of
          > > > adding a small sail and a ptvoting Leeboard with rudder
          > > > to a Toto.I would probably deck over more of the top
          > > > also.What do you think?
          > > >

          > > > Mike

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
            > <http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.php/CONTINUOUS/Tiller-
            > Connections.html>

            Huh?

            brackets rackets!
          • pibracing
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
              I have a rudder from my old Michalak sailing Dinghy,I also have a ton
              of other sailing parts lying around.I might have to give this a try

              Mike

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
              <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

              > Bolger's 12' Peero is only 24" wide. It has a small gaff sail, but
              > people put other types on it. it is said to be a good paddling-
              > sailer. Greg Carlson found it too tippy, and added outrigger floats
              > making it a trimaran. It went well. Jim's Trilars is based on
              > Larsboat which is just a Toto with an 18" plug in the middle. Go
              for
              > it... you can always add outriggers if you want to.
              >
              > For sailing, a rudder would be worth the trouble of making. Use
              push-
              > pull pole steering like Meade Gougeon's
              >
              > <http://canoesailingmagazine.com/index.php/CONTINUOUS/Tiller-
              > Connections.html>
              >

              > <http://www.epoxyworks.com/16/index16.html>
              >
              > or use lines run to foot pedals.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Graeme
              >

              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Most of the small decked sailing canoes are close to the same
              > width.I
              > > wouldnt consider 29 inches narrow.I might have to give it a try
              > >

              > > Mike
              > >

              > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
              <bagacayboatworks@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Mike,
              > > >
              > > > Toto is a rather narrow boat for a sail, and the paddler's
              > > > position makes hiking out rather difficult. It may be fun
              > > > downwind though ...
              > > >
              > > > Sincerely,
              > > > Ken Grome
              > > > Bagacay Boatworks
              > > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

            • traidna
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
                Probably a combination or cockpit error (me) and size and placement
                of leeboard

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@...> wrote:

                > What was the problem upwind?
                >

                > Mike
                >

                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "traidna" <traidna@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Mike,
                > >
                > > I have sailed my Toto. I mounted a mast step and partner sung
                > against
                > > the cross brace. I used some u bolts to attached a piece of
                > threaded
                > > road for the leeboard to rotate on. I mounted a rudded on the
                back
                > with
                > > a push pull type tiller. I made a Poly tarp sail to the
                dimensions
                > of
                > > the D4 dinghy. (www.bateau.com <http://www.bateau.com> ) I
                think
                > it was
                > > on a 8' mast and about 32' sqaure feet of sail.
                > >
                > > I would say it worked, wind moves the boat, not great upwind.
                It
                > was a
                > > load of fun, worth the effort to try.
                > >
                > > Tom Raidna
                > >

                > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Has anybody tried sailing a Toto? I was thinking of adding a
                small
                > > sail
                > > > and a ptvoting Leeboard with rudder to a Toto.I would probably
                > deck
                > > > over more of the top also.What do you think?
                > > >

                > > > Mike

              • gbship
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2008
                  So put a smaller sail on it! Beth is a boat to sparkt he imagination,
                  as is a sailing Toto . . .

                  Gary

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pibracing" <mcerio02@...> wrote:

                  > I have been drooling over Beth for a while now,It's just to much
                  sail
                  > area for me.
                  >

                  > Mike

                • pibracing
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                    I have thought about that but I think the sails on Beth are part of
                    it's beuty.I think it was designed to be sailed healed over and
                    flying.

                    Mike