Harmonica Question

  • my48cj2a
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2008
      How much rough water can the harmonica handle? Our Indian river lagoon
      is two miles wide at the widest point 3 foot chop is rare in my area.It
      would just be to get it to sheltered water. And is it safe to change
      the beam from 5 to 8 feet wide? It is a nice looking little shantyboat.
      I feel kinda drawn to it.when I look at a picture it is saying -Build
      Me-. The Dockbox Will be a great bonding project for my 8 year old
      grandson and I to build at the same time also. I know he will like it
      he is just the right size.
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2008
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "my48cj2a" <my48cj2a@...> wrote:

        > How much rough water can the harmonica handle? Our Indian river
        lagoon
        > is two miles wide at the widest point 3 foot chop is rare in my
        area.It
        > would just be to get it to sheltered water. And is it safe to change
        > the beam from 5 to 8 feet wide? It is a nice looking little
        shantyboat.
        > I feel kinda drawn to it.when I look at a picture it is saying -Build
        > Me-. The Dockbox Will be a great bonding project for my 8 year old
        > grandson and I to build at the same time also. I know he will like it
        > he is just the right size.

        Recommend you contact Jim and ask him. I don't think it could be widened
        that much without adding extra framing or heavier plywood. But he would
        know.

        Here is another option that is already 8' wide. It is a heavily framed
        "barge" with a house atop it. Sam uses a lot of epoxy as well.

        http://store.devlinboat.com/milliehillstudyplans.aspx

        Maybe join the shanty boat group for further ideas and feedback?

        While deciding - build the Dockbox - and keep us updated!

        Nels
      • Tom Vitti
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2008
          if i may piggyback on this, how about the erie canal? it looks like it would be great as a canal boat, just right for two people. i think i remember a blog somewhere about someone who built one on the erie canal...

          Tom

          "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees, for the trees
          have no tongues"

          Dr. Suess

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
            > Posted by: "my48cj2a" my48cj2a@... my48cj2a
            >
            > How much rough water can the harmonica handle? Our Indian river
            > lagoon is two miles wide at the widest point 3 foot chop is rare in
            > my area.It would just be to get it to sheltered water. And is it safe
            > to change the beam from 5 to 8 feet wide?

            The boat can take more rough water than you can. We had our Harmonica
            out in 3-4 foot waves. The boat handled it surprisingly well. If you
            keep your weight down, the boat is buoyant and a little corky. But we
            had some real fun in waves that no one else would go out in, including
            sailboats.

            BTW, changing the beam will DECREASE handling in rough water. The tight
            interior makes wedging yourself into a corner (or standing up in the
            slot) handy and safe. It's not possible with an 8ft beam.

            > Posted by: "Nels" arvent@... recree8 Here is another option
            > that is already 8' wide. It is a heavily framed "barge" with a house
            > atop it. Sam uses a lot of epoxy as well.
            >
            > http://store.devlinboat.com/milliehillstudyplans.aspx

            This is a delightful shantyboat, but the expense is 4-10 times the
            expense of Harmonica. They are not comparable boats--Millie Hill is a
            much more expensive boat with a real interior.

            > Posted by: "Tom Vitti" tomvitti@... tomvitti Date: Mon Sep 29,
            >
            > if i may piggyback on this, how about the erie canal? it looks like
            > it would be great as a canal boat, just right for two people. i think
            > i remember a blog somewhere about someone who built one on the erie
            > canal...
            > Tom

            Yes, they enjoyed the Erie Canal with an electric motor. Their blog
            looked awfully nice. The Harmonica would travel canals beautifully, I
            think. The pictures on the old Herk 'n' Perk website looked terrific.
          • my48cj2a
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
              It looks like the Harmonica and the dockbox it is.I have a welding fab
              shop and I am going to be building wooden boats.That should throw a
              few people off.But I have to start somewhere.Two similar shantyboats
              will be the way to go.There will be many pictures.The Harmonica will be
              called THE MUD MULLET and the Dockbox nanoshanty will be called THE
              FINGER MULLET.
              Thanks all