Re: AF 3Tape Seam Help

  • Wayne Farris
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2008
      Is this the outside bottom-side joint or the inside? The inside joint
      is more difficult and you need to use an epoxy/woodflour mix to build
      up the joint so the tape can make the turn. On the outside joint you
      shouldn't have to do anything particularly special except to round off
      the corner. I used a belt sander for that. Maybe the problem was
      that the wood soaked up the epoxy and the fiberglass was glue starved?
      To avoid that problem next time you should paint some epoxy on the
      wood and let it set up to a tacky state, apply more epoxy and then the
      tape and then wet out the tape.

      Sounds like you need to ground out the joint where you didn't get good
      adhesion and apply more epoxy/fiberglass. I would sand the whole
      taped area lightly first and lay the new tape over the old tape in a
      slightly staggered fashion. Might make it easier to fair out later.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "captparnell2000" <captparnell@...>
      wrote:

      > OK, I need some help, guys. Got my bottom on, after a fashion. After
      > looking at Chris F's, I decided to try the tape seam rather than the
      > chine log. I got good adhesion between fiberglass/epoxy and plywood on
      > the bottom but not around the bottom/side joint, then good to finish up
      > the side. I suspect I did not radius the bottom well enough as I have
      > read that almost 90% bend can be difficult with tape. (1) Is that what
      > my problem was? (2) What's the best (I know, not necessarily easiest)
      > fix? Thanks
      > Kevin Burns

    • Kevin Burns
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2008
        Thanks Wayne.  It was the outside. The problem was the radius.  I thought I had rounded it well enough, but obviously did not.  I did apply some epoxy first, then set the tape and more epoxy.  The bottom on the AF3 is put on in two pieces and it was on one of the tape pieces for the aft portion.  One area I was able to slit open with a razon blade and add thickened epoxy.  The other area I ended up grinding off about a five inch area with the belt sander, rounding the radius and reapplied tape/epoxy.  All in all a good learning experience, a couple of hours extra work but no major harm.  Thanks for the response.
        Kevin Burns