Re: RAIDER, part 2
- This is a set of photos related to Norm's report:
> RAIDER, part 2
> Posted by: "Norm Wolfe" norman.wolfe@... normwolfe1
> Date: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:37 am ((PDT))
> Raider, part 2
> Summary so far. Raider was designed by Jim M. for me to build and sail
> in Estonia and in RAID Finland. After two years of looking, RAIDER was
> built by a non-boating Estonian carpenter (who spoke some English) and
> his some time employer, using local Baltic plywood and local pine
> lumber and local epoxy. Her mast is a 6 meter fiberglass flag pole,
> and the yard is a piece of broken aluminum Laser mast. The boom was
> hastily and poorly constructed from local lumber.
> She was built in about 2 months, with me helping the second month. She
> was launched off a trailer in Loviisa, Finland on 19 July 2008 and
> began serious sailing in RAID Finland noon Sunday, 20 July. The boom
> sprung part way (failed to stagger the joints properly) and we
> replaced it by cutting down a pine sapling and carving the bark off of
> it. Works great.
> Now, part 2:
> Monday, 21 July. Wind 20, waves about 4 feet. Sailed 12 miles on a
> broad and beam reach. Wojtek Baginski joined Mary McGuire and I while
> Ed McGuire sailed in Mike Hanyi's authentic (cotton sails and lines)
> Rivera by Nat Herreshoff.
> We began with 1 reef, tucked in behind the first island and dropped
> the anchor on 80 feet of rode about 50 feet from shore. No bottom, but
> it slowed our drift. Tied in the second reef. No change in speed.
> Still felt overpowered, so about 20 minutes later, tied in the third.
> Still no change in speed, but the motion was much better. Finally
> turned west to approach the anchorage. We were sailing nearly down
> wind and had to do several 360's so that the Haven 12 1/2 could enter
> first, as he had local knowledge. We struck the sail and winded into
> the beach through a passage in the weeds about 10 feet wide, using 3
> meter oars. It was so narrow that I successfully tried sculling with
> one oar over the stern, tied a cleat with a light line. I will install
> an oar lock.
> On Tuesday the same conditions plus a forecast afternoon thunderstorm
> helped us decide to take a lay day and stay at the nice hotel. Happy
> we did, as the thunderstorm was quite strong. I was able to make some
> minor repairs and install some more convenience features, such as
> slings for storing 4 - 3 meter long oars.
> 23 July we waited until noon for one more crew member for another
> boat, then departed. Wind was forecast for 8-12 knots, but was
> measured on the water at 21 knots. We tied in two reefs shortly after
> starting, and another after about an hour, while beached for a late
> lunch on the lee side of a small island. Our destination that night
> was much more populated with a ferry bringing a crowd for an evening
> of dining and dancing at the only restaurant on the island.
> On 24 July the wind and seas had diminished somewhat, and leaving the
> harbor under oars with rudder and leeboards up, we cut across a rocky
> strewn area "forbidden" to boats, without incident.
> We had a great sail with all reefs shaken out, 10 knots of wind and
> the sea only about 1 foot. I again had to do several 360's so that I
> did not get too far ahead.
> On Friday we retrieved boats, visited the Kotka wooden boat center,
> and planned next year's event.
> I return to the US in a few days.
> Norm Wolfe
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]