Re: Petesboat: How many built or started?

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
      I like that Canal Cruiser. I can envision myself in that thing
      motoring up the Pascagoula River...maybe even making the turn up into
      the Chickasawhay. A good sign.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickasawhay_River

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Don Schultz" <donschultz@> wrote:
      >
      > > I brought PetesBoat over on the Bolger list for use as a powered
      > river/canal
      > > cruiser. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.
      > Petesboat is
      > > a really versatile design and very easy to build. It is capable
      of
      > many
      > > different missions as a camp cruiser or day boat, sail or
      power. IMO
      > about
      > > 15-25 hp 4 stroke would give great economical cruise with plenty
      of
      > reserve
      > > hp.
      > >
      > > Don Schultz
      >
      > Have to agree Don.
      >
      > It would also work great with a "renewed" Evinrude as well and a 4
      or 5
      > HP Tohatsu 4-stroke for probably a total outlay of about 1500 bucks.
      >
      > The Tohatsu could give you no-wake quiet speeds in canals and small
      > rivers and then you have the bigger engine for crossing lakes, as
      well a
      > lugsail if you want to try sailing.
      >
      > Would that not be a sublime and economical way to do the Trent
      Severn
      > Bryant - so long as you picked your route and time to allow for big
      > winds on the lakes?
      >
      > Some curtains and a couple planters and a cat. And a canoe on tops -
      or
      > even a couple PD Racers for impromptu sailing competitions to see
      who
      > cooks dinner:-)
      >
      > A bow centerboard like on Eisbox might be useful for low speed
      > maneuvering at the dock. Maybe even a clamp on trolling motor which
      > could also be used on the tenders:-)
      >
      > I also really like the raised captains seat Bolger designed into his
      > simple canal cruiser.
      >
      > http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2612924559/

    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
        Well, the big question is what kind of boating, if any, would SHE be interested in? (If all goes well, that question will get bigger and bigger for you.)
        --Rob

        Re: Petesboat: How many built or started?
            Posted by: "Don Schultz" donschultz@... donschultz8275
            Date: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:01 pm ((PDT))

        Nels,

        You paint a beautiful picture.  Yes, the pair of outboards is just the way
        to do it.  Seems to me the pics of the Petesboat on Duckworks has a pair of
        ob's of about the sizes you suggest.  A canoe, or Larsboat, or pair of
        Bricks, and the big lug sail add to the fun.   Michalak's designs are not
        blue water craft, but a well built Petesboat with care taken up front to
        build strong hatches, a hard cover on the slot, and maybe the cutwater
        suggested before would be just fine for even the biggest rivers, and inland
        lakes, understanding the Great Lakes can put down even the mightiest, and
        must be respected.

        Never thought to try a cat on board.  With my new marriage, I won't likely
        ever do the river cruising I was thinking about 2 years ago.  That's ok,
        'cause this girl is worth staying home with.  ;-D  But, the multi-power
        capability, along with, IMO, reasonable seaworthiness makes Petesboat a
        winner.

        Michalak's smaller birdwatcher hulls would also be good for smaller crews,
        and missions, and will save both in construction and towing costs.

        Don Schultz

      • Outboardr
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi Rob and all,
          I just got the plans for Petesboat, am still looking them over. First set of plans from Jim.
          (I really wanted to build Jeff Gilbert's Low Impact catamaran Hector, but he's in midst of getting settled into retirement so have to wait. I had my first catamaran this past year, boy do they ride nice...)
          So in meantime I thought what's the easiest most functional boat to build with provision for sail or power cruising, of Jim's boats we thought his Petesboat was most suitable. I have an old Homelite 55 that runs excellent for power at modest speeds.
          Good points brought up in this thread. Like the looks subject, looking at Reuel Parker's boats, his sharpies are so graceful. But look at Bolger/Michalak and which one gets on the water faster.
          Both have their place.
          Gimme the box.
          (don't know if I'll build Petesboat, or just enjoy the plans, at this point)
          I'm up near Seattle, so an enclosed station for motoring is a must, or at least covered, otherwise I have a two season boat..........

          Thanks much,
          Outboardr@...

          Enthusiast & Hobbyist for:
          Homelite 55 & Fisher Pierce Bearcat 85 outboards
          Power Cat, Skagit, Bell Boy boats
          And more!

              Posted by: "Don Schultz" donschultz@iname. com donschultz8275

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2008
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Outboardr <outboardr@...> wrote:
            > Like the looks subject, looking at Reuel Parker's boats, his sharpies
            are so graceful. But look at Bolger/Michalak and which one gets on the
            water faster.
            > Both have their place.
            > Gimme the box.
            > (don't know if I'll build Petesboat, or just enjoy the plans, at this
            point)
            > I'm up near Seattle, so an enclosed station for motoring is a must, or
            at least covered, otherwise I have a two season boat..........

            From where I sit (British Columbia) you are 'down' near Seattle so we
            are much in the same boat season wise.

            I think a raised sliding doghouse addition can be added to any of the
            larger BW-type slot-tops, combined with an inside steering station with
            a flip-down captains seat at bar stool height for forward vision.

            If you go to this site and click on the second photo you get some good
            ideas. Both of the little houses are removable I believe and easy to
            incorporate in a sliding hatch configuration as well. They could be
            replaced with soft covers for summer sailing.

            http://pandoradom.org/

            The other thing about box boats - you will be amazed at the interior
            space and stability of this hull-form in addition to the building
            simplicity.

            Other useful additions would be a small force 10 furnace, perhaps some
            foam insulation and double glazed plastic windows.

            By the way - the AS29 is up for sale. Not sure about "Somethin Else"
            which is a really nice little river and canal cruiser itself! It has the
            little furnace as well.

          • pindimarscram
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2, 2008
              It's a big boat though, Jewellbox is still quite a size at 19ft so
              maybe think about that boat. How many Jewellbox boats have been done,
              just the one? I've only ever seen mention of Karl James boat

              Both look good to me but Petesboat is BIG

              Greg F

            • daschultz2000
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 9, 2008
                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Outboardr <outboardr@> wrote:
                > .........But look at Bolger/Michalak and which one gets on the
                > water faster..........

                Very good point. Then pick between Bolger's Fast Motor Sailer and
                Petesboat. IMO the Michalak design wins the "fastest to the water"
                race. Of course the designs are so different it may not matter.

                I think Bolger's Whalewatcher may be the most similar to Petesboat,
                both are "Birdwatchers" and larger. But Petesboat was designed as a
                motorsailer from the start.

                Don Schultz