Yawl [was re: JB Jr photos]

  • sctree
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2002
      The short answer is no, no mizzen.

      The undecked sharpie I had was a cat-yawl. The mizzen was very useful
      while at anchor to keep the boat from trying to sail around the anchor,
      and also to keep the bow to the wind when raising the main. It really
      added very little to sailing performance. On the JB Jr. with the hollow
      mast being lighter, and with the comfort of the cabin around me, it will
      be easier to unstep at anchor than dancing up on the bow of the sharpie
      I had. Also the cabin top (once I add chocks) will be a great "out of
      the way" place to store it. So those times at anchor when a stern anchor
      can't be set and there is not enough room to flit around, I can unstep
      the mast. When raising the main on JB Jr. the sprit boom can swing
      whatever way is downwind because the round mast can rotate freely and
      I'll be inside the cabin, out of harm's way.

      Rick