Questions about 1975 15 HP Johnson Outboard

  • Chris Feller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
      I just got a great deal on a 15 HP Outboard and have a few questions.

      The motor is a 1975 15 HP Long Shaft Johnson model number 15EL75C

      I am planning on using it on an AF4 or like boat. I need a prop and
      was wondering if there was a specific one to use. In other words
      would I use a different prop for an AF4 vs. a 10,000 pound sail boat.
      Also what is a good source of propellers.

      I ran the engine today and it seems to run quite well however the
      spark plugs seem to fowl easily requiring me to remove and clean them.
      Would this indicate that I need to rebuild the ignition system, carb,
      both or something else.

      And last but not least the tiller is missing and I wondered where I
      might find a replacement. The engine did include remote controls so I
      could use that with a steering wheel however I just wanted the option
      of a tiller.

      Thanks
      Chris Feller
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Feller" <chrisbfeller@...>

        http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC%20info.htm

        http://www.miwheel.com/MIWheel/pdf/99021208.pdf

        "...tiller is missing and I wondered where I
        might find a replacement..."

        http://www.aomci.org/webads.htm

        http://www.aomci.org/events/

        Max
      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
          Hey Chris, what Max said. But also, see The Propeller Handbook by Dave Gerr. He has equations to get you in the right ballpark with the prop. I have a spreadsheet already programmed, though. Him me off list when you know what design you're looking at so we can estimate all-up weight to plug it in. Then we can figure how fast 15 hp can make that much weight go, and from the speed, what prop you'd want.
          Best,
          --Rob

          Questions about 1975 15 HP Johnson Outboard
          Posted by: "Chris Feller" chrisbfeller@... chrisbfeller

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
            Max,
            Thanks for the links. They have answered all of my questions
            along with others I did not even know to ask. I did not expect to
            find sources of information that good.

            Thanks again!
            Chris