2007 Harmonica RIP

  • CSC
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2008
      I have put a short, poignant slideshow about the life of the first
      Michalak Harmonica, Occam's Razor. It's in the Photos section labeled
      2007 Harmonica RIP.

      After 9 seasons, and a pending trip to Seattle for a sabbatical, I took
      the Harmonica off of her trailer with a sawz-all. She had withstood the
      ravages of fresh rainwater for too many winters and springs--one year
      we had to chase out insect larvae in the water.

      This puts me in the embarrassing situation of having only three boats--
      a Bolger Teal, a Michalak QT power skiff, and a Sunfish. This summer
      will find me constructing something new, that can hold at least 6
      adults (see the photos for why).

      -Chris
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2008
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CSC" <crandall@...> wrote:

        > After 9 seasons, and a pending trip to Seattle for a sabbatical, I
        took
        > the Harmonica off of her trailer with a sawz-all.

        My AF4 is heading the same way. Extensive rot in
        the inner plys of the bottom.

        When I built the thing I noticed that some of the
        inner veneers in the BC pine plywood looked a bit
        brown & powdery. That should have set-off alarms.

        Max
      • daschultz2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury112@...> wrote:

          >> My AF4 is heading the same way. Extensive rot in
          > the inner plys of the bottom.
          >
          > When I built the thing I noticed that some of the
          > inner veneers in the BC pine plywood looked a bit
          > brown & powdery. That should have set-off alarms.
          >

          > Max

          Too bad. Considering replanking the bottom? Or perhaps build
          something different?

          Don Schultz
        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
            > 1b. Re: 2007 Harmonica RIP
            > Posted by: "vexatious2001" cadbury112@... vexatious2001
            > My AF4 is heading the same way. Extensive rot in
            > the inner plys of the bottom.
            >
            > When I built the thing I noticed that some of the
            > inner veneers in the BC pine plywood looked a bit
            > brown & powdery. That should have set-off alarms.

            Aha. There is much talk on builders' forums about lifetime of a boat and
            rot in the materials. However, there is very little complaint from boat
            owners who say that there boats outlived the builder's interest.

            But here are two in a row.

            -Chris
          • Bryant Owen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 29, 2008
              Chris. I know I've asked you this before but considering
              the "autopsy", what advice would you give new Harmonica builders.

              Bryant

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CSC" <crandall@...> wrote:

              > I have put a short, poignant slideshow about the life of the first
              > Michalak Harmonica, Occam's Razor. It's in the Photos section
              labeled
              > 2007 Harmonica RIP.
              >
              > After 9 seasons, and a pending trip to Seattle for a sabbatical, I
              took
              > the Harmonica off of her trailer with a sawz-all. She had withstood
              the
              > ravages of fresh rainwater for too many winters and springs--one
              year
              > we had to chase out insect larvae in the water.
              >
              > This puts me in the embarrassing situation of having only three
              boats--
              > a Bolger Teal, a Michalak QT power skiff, and a Sunfish. This
              summer
              > will find me constructing something new, that can hold at least 6
              > adults (see the photos for why).
              >
              > -Chris

            • vexatious2001
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2008
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...>
                wrote:

                > Too bad. Considering replanking the bottom? Or perhaps build
                > something different?

                Oh, it could be repaired, but then there are some other issues
                and a few things I would do differently the second time
                around.

                I will probably build another one out of higher quality
                plywood. I have enough 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch (12 mm & 6 MM)
                BS 1088 on hand to build another one.

                Other than making a few changes here and there, it is a
                perfect design for what I do with the thing.

                Max