Re: polyester vs epoxy?

  • Ashley
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      --- In Michalak@y..., "egiajack" <jgclayt@e...> wrote:

      > Now there are some advocates of polyester, including Mr. "Instant
      > Boats" Payson, and Mr. Michalak. For those that plan to keep their
      > boats in a dry barn, it could work. Sometimes the planets align

      I'm working on Jim's latest design, Dorado, at the moment. Jim
      specifies epoxy for the fillets, taping and hull glass sheathing.
      This is Jim's highest powered design so far, with 30 hp max. Much
      more hull integrity is required for the greater hull forces at speed.

      > Epoxy is more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
      >
      > If you want it to last, put more money into it.

      I agree. But for me, it's a no brainer if the difference in cost is
      only $30/gallon. This is a small part of the cost in a boat, and
      really doesn't change the completed cost much at all. I'd go for
      integrity every time.

      Regards,
      Ashley

      PS I'll post pics of Dorado soon - haven't taken any yet, coz its
      just a plie of parts right now. Hopefully hull assembled by end of
      the week. Plans will be available soon from Jim.