Re: Toto question

  • Chris Feller
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 11, 2008
      I usually put the rough side on the outside when I build plywood
      boats. It is easier to fill the holes and smooth it that way. Also
      there is usually more material on the rough side since it is not as
      well sanded. However I would say that it does not really matter.
      Either way works well.

      Chris Feller

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette"
      <robertpaquette@...> wrote:

      > Hi, everyone,
      > I've joined the two sheets of plywood, end to end. With the rough
      > side of the joined sheets facing up, I've laid out the lines as per
      > the plans. Now my question is, will the rough side be inside or
      > outside the boat? I plan on starting my cuts tomorrow morning, so
      > I've decided to ask the board before starting. My take on the plans
      > is the bottom bilge shape is the starboard side, and the bottom side
      > panel is the port side. Is that correct? Does it matter? Of
      > course, I would like the rough side of the plywood to be inside. Any
      > Toto builders, or someone with the Toto plans out there, that can
      help me?
      > Robert

    • Robert Paquette
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 11, 2008
        Hi, Chris,

        My question remains. As laid out on the plan sheet, if I've scribed
        the lines on the rough side. Will the rough side end up being inside
        or outside.

        Robert

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Feller" <chrisbfeller@...> wrote:

        > I usually put the rough side on the outside when I build plywood
        > boats. It is easier to fill the holes and smooth it that way. Also
        > there is usually more material on the rough side since it is not as
        > well sanded. However I would say that it does not really matter.
        > Either way works well.
        >
        > Chris Feller
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette"
        > <robertpaquette@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi, everyone,
        > > I've joined the two sheets of plywood, end to end. With the rough
        > > side of the joined sheets facing up, I've laid out the lines as per
        > > the plans. Now my question is, will the rough side be inside or
        > > outside the boat? I plan on starting my cuts tomorrow morning, so
        > > I've decided to ask the board before starting. My take on the plans
        > > is the bottom bilge shape is the starboard side, and the bottom side
        > > panel is the port side. Is that correct? Does it matter? Of
        > > course, I would like the rough side of the plywood to be inside. Any
        > > Toto builders, or someone with the Toto plans out there, that can
        > help me?
        > > Robert

      • Chris Feller
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 11, 2008
          If you laid out the sides as mirror images of each other then you
          could put the boat together either way. I always visualize putting
          them together after drawing them. That way I don't end up with two
          right sides or two left ones.

          <robertpaquette@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Chris,
          >
          > My question remains. As laid out on the plan sheet, if I've scribed
          > the lines on the rough side. Will the rough side end up being inside
          > or outside.
          >
          > Robert
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Feller" <chrisbfeller@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I usually put the rough side on the outside when I build plywood
          > > boats. It is easier to fill the holes and smooth it that way. Also
          > > there is usually more material on the rough side since it is not as
          > > well sanded. However I would say that it does not really matter.
          > > Either way works well.
          > >
          > > Chris Feller
          > >
          > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette"
          > > <robertpaquette@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi, everyone,
          > > > I've joined the two sheets of plywood, end to end. With the rough
          > > > side of the joined sheets facing up, I've laid out the lines as per
          > > > the plans. Now my question is, will the rough side be inside or
          > > > outside the boat? I plan on starting my cuts tomorrow morning, so
          > > > I've decided to ask the board before starting. My take on the plans
          > > > is the bottom bilge shape is the starboard side, and the bottom side
          > > > panel is the port side. Is that correct? Does it matter? Of
          > > > course, I would like the rough side of the plywood to be inside.
          Any
          > > > Toto builders, or someone with the Toto plans out there, that can
          > > help me?
          > > > Robert

        • captreed48
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 11, 2008
            I think the problem is that we don't know how you laid them out. If
            you drew them both at the same time, in a mirror image, then it's easy
            to tip them up so the rough side is inside. With your drawn lines
            inside it's easy to place the frames.

            First I fill the dips or knot holes in the rough side and sand them
            before I put the lines down. I usually draw out one side, cut it out
            and then flop it over and draw the second side by tracing around the
            first side. This cuts down on the measuring. Then I put the smooth
            side outside. That way I get a yacht finish that everyone can see.
            (Oh. You didn't believe that? You heard that my finish jobs are great
            from 50' feet away?...true.) But I do start with the smooth side
            outside.

            Reed
          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 14, 2008
              Hi Robert,

              Hopefully when you got done cutting this weekend, you ended up with
              something like the top photo on this page:
              http://www.kolbsadventures.com/toto_1.htm , perhaps with the panels
              already scarfed in the middle. Once you are at this point, it's
              completely up to you which side goes in or out.

              I like to put the bad side out, mainly because nowadays I glass every
              boat. I didn't glass the outside of my first Toto, but I did on my
              second and it's actually easier to do that way, in my view. Since
              Toto is so small, it's simple to omit taping the outside seams and
              just glass the whole exterior instead. Doing so requires that you
              tape the inside seams first, building "right side up" to start.

              On the other hand, if you don't want to glass the exterior, but you
              are planning to deck both ends of the boat, putting the bad side in
              means you can hide more of the rough panel faces under the fore and
              aft decks, and not worry about smoothing out those areas.

              Jon Kolb
            • David Meyer
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 17, 2008
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette" <robertpaquette@...>
                wrote:

                Robert... I agree that if you are using AB, or one side rough plywood,
                it makes sense to put the bad side out, as it is much easier to fair
                the outer surface than the inner. look at the totos on my site:
                http://www.meyerboatworks.com and see if the first six photos answer
                you question(s).