Toto question

  • Robert Paquette
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 11 4:31 PM
      Hi, everyone,
      I've joined the two sheets of plywood, end to end. With the rough
      side of the joined sheets facing up, I've laid out the lines as per
      the plans. Now my question is, will the rough side be inside or
      outside the boat? I plan on starting my cuts tomorrow morning, so
      I've decided to ask the board before starting. My take on the plans
      is the bottom bilge shape is the starboard side, and the bottom side
      panel is the port side. Is that correct? Does it matter? Of
      course, I would like the rough side of the plywood to be inside. Any
      Toto builders, or someone with the Toto plans out there, that can help me?
      Robert
    • Chris Feller
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 11 4:48 PM
        I usually put the rough side on the outside when I build plywood
        boats. It is easier to fill the holes and smooth it that way. Also
        there is usually more material on the rough side since it is not as
        well sanded. However I would say that it does not really matter.
        Either way works well.

        Chris Feller

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette"
        <robertpaquette@...> wrote:

        > Hi, everyone,
        > I've joined the two sheets of plywood, end to end. With the rough
        > side of the joined sheets facing up, I've laid out the lines as per
        > the plans. Now my question is, will the rough side be inside or
        > outside the boat? I plan on starting my cuts tomorrow morning, so
        > I've decided to ask the board before starting. My take on the plans
        > is the bottom bilge shape is the starboard side, and the bottom side
        > panel is the port side. Is that correct? Does it matter? Of
        > course, I would like the rough side of the plywood to be inside. Any
        > Toto builders, or someone with the Toto plans out there, that can
        help me?
        > Robert

      • Robert Paquette
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 11 5:04 PM
          Hi, Chris,

          My question remains. As laid out on the plan sheet, if I've scribed
          the lines on the rough side. Will the rough side end up being inside
          or outside.

          Robert

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Feller" <chrisbfeller@...> wrote:

          > I usually put the rough side on the outside when I build plywood
          > boats. It is easier to fill the holes and smooth it that way. Also
          > there is usually more material on the rough side since it is not as
          > well sanded. However I would say that it does not really matter.
          > Either way works well.
          >
          > Chris Feller
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette"
          > <robertpaquette@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, everyone,
          > > I've joined the two sheets of plywood, end to end. With the rough
          > > side of the joined sheets facing up, I've laid out the lines as per
          > > the plans. Now my question is, will the rough side be inside or
          > > outside the boat? I plan on starting my cuts tomorrow morning, so
          > > I've decided to ask the board before starting. My take on the plans
          > > is the bottom bilge shape is the starboard side, and the bottom side
          > > panel is the port side. Is that correct? Does it matter? Of
          > > course, I would like the rough side of the plywood to be inside. Any
          > > Toto builders, or someone with the Toto plans out there, that can
          > help me?
          > > Robert

        • Chris Feller
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 11 5:08 PM
            If you laid out the sides as mirror images of each other then you
            could put the boat together either way. I always visualize putting
            them together after drawing them. That way I don't end up with two
            right sides or two left ones.

            <robertpaquette@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Chris,
            >
            > My question remains. As laid out on the plan sheet, if I've scribed
            > the lines on the rough side. Will the rough side end up being inside
            > or outside.
            >
            > Robert
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Feller" <chrisbfeller@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I usually put the rough side on the outside when I build plywood
            > > boats. It is easier to fill the holes and smooth it that way. Also
            > > there is usually more material on the rough side since it is not as
            > > well sanded. However I would say that it does not really matter.
            > > Either way works well.
            > >
            > > Chris Feller
            > >
            > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette"
            > > <robertpaquette@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi, everyone,
            > > > I've joined the two sheets of plywood, end to end. With the rough
            > > > side of the joined sheets facing up, I've laid out the lines as per
            > > > the plans. Now my question is, will the rough side be inside or
            > > > outside the boat? I plan on starting my cuts tomorrow morning, so
            > > > I've decided to ask the board before starting. My take on the plans
            > > > is the bottom bilge shape is the starboard side, and the bottom side
            > > > panel is the port side. Is that correct? Does it matter? Of
            > > > course, I would like the rough side of the plywood to be inside.
            Any
            > > > Toto builders, or someone with the Toto plans out there, that can
            > > help me?
            > > > Robert

          • captreed48
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 11 6:02 PM
              I think the problem is that we don't know how you laid them out. If
              you drew them both at the same time, in a mirror image, then it's easy
              to tip them up so the rough side is inside. With your drawn lines
              inside it's easy to place the frames.

              First I fill the dips or knot holes in the rough side and sand them
              before I put the lines down. I usually draw out one side, cut it out
              and then flop it over and draw the second side by tracing around the
              first side. This cuts down on the measuring. Then I put the smooth
              side outside. That way I get a yacht finish that everyone can see.
              (Oh. You didn't believe that? You heard that my finish jobs are great
              from 50' feet away?...true.) But I do start with the smooth side
              outside.

              Reed
            • adventures_in_astrophotography
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 14 6:06 AM
                Hi Robert,

                Hopefully when you got done cutting this weekend, you ended up with
                something like the top photo on this page:
                http://www.kolbsadventures.com/toto_1.htm , perhaps with the panels
                already scarfed in the middle. Once you are at this point, it's
                completely up to you which side goes in or out.

                I like to put the bad side out, mainly because nowadays I glass every
                boat. I didn't glass the outside of my first Toto, but I did on my
                second and it's actually easier to do that way, in my view. Since
                Toto is so small, it's simple to omit taping the outside seams and
                just glass the whole exterior instead. Doing so requires that you
                tape the inside seams first, building "right side up" to start.

                On the other hand, if you don't want to glass the exterior, but you
                are planning to deck both ends of the boat, putting the bad side in
                means you can hide more of the rough panel faces under the fore and
                aft decks, and not worry about smoothing out those areas.

                Jon Kolb
              • David Meyer
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 17 11:19 AM
                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette" <robertpaquette@...>
                  wrote:

                  Robert... I agree that if you are using AB, or one side rough plywood,
                  it makes sense to put the bad side out, as it is much easier to fair
                  the outer surface than the inner. look at the totos on my site:
                  http://www.meyerboatworks.com and see if the first six photos answer
                  you question(s).