Re: Piragua's bulkhead

  • pitoufifi
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2008
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury112@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pitoufifi" <twiggyr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you Max for answering, based on what you are saying I will
      > > leave it as it is. I have never been in that kind of boat so I
      think
      > > I will be paddling. I'm around 250lb (with a lot of dieting)so I
      not
      > > sure if the boat is big enough for me.
      > >
      > > Euclide
      > >

      > Just one comment:
      >
      > Sight along the sides and bottom of the hull
      > and see if there is any distortion to the hull
      > due to the bulkhead being placed a couple inches
      > too far forward.
      >
      > It there is no distortion (and I doubt there is)
      > or if it is minor, I would leave it as is.
      >
      > Most people tend to "lean back" against that
      > bulkhead, but as Jim M points out, that places
      > the weight too far aft. Moving the bulkhead
      > forward is probably a change that Jim would endorse,
      > except that he was probably trying to maximize the
      > utilization of the plywood.
      >
      > As long as the hull looks pretty straight I would leave
      > the bulkhead right where it's at.
      >
      > I aint never built a boat that was perfect, but every one
      > of them was perfectly adequate for the job intended.
      >

      > Max

      No distortion noted but I must admit I had a hard time keeping the
      boat aligned when I attached the two bulkheads. The boat is not
      exactly straight but I think it will float. Thanks again for your
      help Max.

      Euclide
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "pitoufifi" <twiggyr@...> wrote:

        The boat is not
        > exactly straight

        To quote Dick Cheney, "So?"

        My old AF3 had one corner of the stern about 1/2 inch
        higher than the other corner.

        If one measures from the chines to the keel of the my
        AF4, one will find the measurements vary by over an inch
        from one side of the boat to the other.

        When I built my Larsboat I totally screwed-up and the boat
        ended up 6 inches shorter than designed.

        It'll be just fine and you will forget all about the
        little "issues."

        By the way, if you think buying a profesionally-made
        boat will get you a higher quality boat than you can
        build, read here;

        http://www.yachtsurvey.com/HullFailPart1.htm

        Max
      • pitoufifi
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2008
          From the pictures I saw, all the boats you built are very nice. I
          realy liked your af3 and the way it was rigged (I know...Its gone).
          The link you posted is very interesting. It is hard to understand why
          well known Companies would put their reputation at risk.