boat porn

  • Gene Lueg
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 28, 2008
      The first time I mentioned "boat porn" to my wife she did a double take. I
      guess the closest thing to that would be "car porn" best typified by the
      late fifties American automobiles. I believe some of those fins were even
      carried over into the plastic boat world. In fact the most popular car of
      the era, the '57 Chevy, had front bumpers, not to be confused with the
      chrome bar underneath them that could almost pass for porn by themselves.
      Smile.

      Gene in Dubach

      On 3/28/08, pgochnour@... <pgochnour@...> wrote:

      > I expect most of us would admit that we are drawn to the beauty of boats
      > and ships, and this is probably pretty widely so, or there would be a lot
      > less boat porn..
      >
      > Tyson in Galveston

    • Chris Partridge
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 29, 2008
        There was a massive fad for boats that looked like autos in the 1950s
        and 60s when fibreglass made them easy to produce. I discovered this
        amazing site a few days ago - look, step back in horror, then burst
        out laughing: http://www.fiberglassics.com/

        Chris

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:

        > The first time I mentioned "boat porn" to my wife she did a double
        take. I
        > guess the closest thing to that would be "car porn" best typified by the
        > late fifties American automobiles. I believe some of those fins were
        even
        > carried over into the plastic boat world. In fact the most popular
        car of
        > the era, the '57 Chevy, had front bumpers, not to be confused with the
        > chrome bar underneath them that could almost pass for porn by
        themselves.
        > Smile.
        >
        > Gene in Dubach

      • Chris Partridge
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 29, 2008
          This is one of my favourites
          http://www.fiberglassics.com/galleries/bitb/default.htm

          Note how the boat has been matched with the car in front. Brilliant!

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:

          > The first time I mentioned "boat porn" to my wife she did a double
          take. I
          > guess the closest thing to that would be "car porn" best typified by the
          > late fifties American automobiles. I believe some of those fins were
          even
          > carried over into the plastic boat world.
        • Douglas Pollard
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
            Those nonboating boats were sold to the nonboating public in nonboating
            towns in nonboating places usually a long way from real boating
            waters. Along the Chesapeake bay they were nearly laughed out of
            existence where ever they showed their silly looking profiles. There
            owners were generally laughed out of town as well. Those poor fellows
            found themselves the butt of jokes and derision. The sorry period of
            time when some boats were designed by the same Hollywood types that
            found their way into automobile design and boat design, as well as the
            Art Deco styles, and this bad taste that infected the the building world
            later found it's way into the womens clothing design business. They did
            and still do make fools of unsuspecting women and the general public
            even today.
            Designs of all things have been slowly and deliberately making
            progress over many years using new materials and design methods and
            these people come along with no understanding of use, engineering or
            any kind of practicality with there utterly foolish notions. They have
            no integrity they grab their money and run away laughing at those they
            have duped.
            I realize you are making fun of the foolishness But I don't even
            find that worthy of your or my attention.
            The problem for me is the whole thing irritates me. That stuff was
            put together in laughter by people without the moxie to study design,
            engineering or any other useful endever but instead laugh at us all with
            their lack of integrity. The trash they dump on the world borders on
            uselessness and is equivalent to carnival barkers, Tin salesmen and
            slight of hand chartists.
            Sorry, but you have really struck a nerve in
            me. This kind of thing is among my all time beefs and seems a slap in
            the face to any boatbuilder, designer or manufacturer of lagitemate
            products of any kind. aaagh!!

            Doug

            Chris Partridge wrote:

            > This is one of my favourites
            > http://www.fiberglassics.com/galleries/bitb/default.htm
            > <http://www.fiberglassics.com/galleries/bitb/default.htm>
            >
            > Note how the boat has been matched with the car in front. Brilliant!
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The first time I mentioned "boat porn" to my wife she did a double
            > take. I
            > > guess the closest thing to that would be "car porn" best typified by the
            > > late fifties American automobiles. I believe some of those fins were
            > even
            > > carried over into the plastic boat world.

          • vexatious2001
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Pollard <Dougpol1@...>
              wrote:

              > Those nonboating boats were sold to the nonboating public in
              nonboating
              > towns in nonboating places usually a long way from real boating
              > waters. Along the Chesapeake bay they were nearly laughed out of
              > existence where ever they showed their silly looking profiles.
              There
              > owners were generally laughed out of town as well. Those poor
              fellows
              > found themselves the butt of jokes and derision. The sorry
              period of
              > time when some boats were designed by the same Hollywood types
              that
              > found their way into automobile design and boat design, as well as
              the
              > Art Deco styles, and this bad taste that infected the the building
              world
              > later found it's way into the womens clothing design business.
              They did
              > and still do make fools of unsuspecting women and the general
              public
              > even today.
              > Designs of all things have been slowly and deliberately making
              > progress over many years using new materials and design methods
              and
              > these people come along with no understanding of use, engineering
              or
              > any kind of practicality with there utterly foolish notions. They
              have
              > no integrity they grab their money and run away laughing at those
              they
              > have duped.
              > I realize you are making fun of the foolishness But I don't
              even
              > find that worthy of your or my attention.
              > The problem for me is the whole thing irritates me. That stuff
              was
              > put together in laughter by people without the moxie to study
              design,
              > engineering or any other useful endever but instead laugh at us
              all with
              > their lack of integrity. The trash they dump on the world borders
              on
              > uselessness and is equivalent to carnival barkers, Tin salesmen
              and
              > slight of hand chartists.
              > Sorry, but you have really struck a
              nerve in
              > me. This kind of thing is among my all time beefs and seems a
              slap in
              > the face to any boatbuilder, designer or manufacturer of
              lagitemate
              > products of any kind. aaagh!!
              >

              > Doug

              Now, don't hold back, Doug.

              Tell us what ya really think.

              Max
            • Gene Lueg
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in the US
                are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that the
                ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am all for the
                capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.

                Gene in Ruston

                On 3/30/08, Douglas Pollard <Dougpol1@...> wrote:

                > Sorry, but you have really struck a nerve in
                > me. This kind of thing is among my all time beefs and seems a slap in
                > the face to any boatbuilder, designer or manufacturer of lagitemate
                > products of any kind. aaagh!!
                >
                > Doug

              • Nels
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:

                  > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                  > residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in
                  the US
                  > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that the
                  > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am all
                  for the
                  > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                  >
                  > Gene in Ruston

                  I don't blame either the promoters nor the capitalistic system.There
                  are stupid people no matter what the system and you can't legislate
                  against stupidity they say.

                  Nels
                • jhargrovewright2
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                    Gean,
                    I have studied people all my life. One thing I know is that P T
                    Barnum almost had it right. His mistake was that many fools, not
                    just one, are born every day. What capitalism does is provide what
                    people want enough to pay for. Unfortunately that system has also
                    found a way to influence, just a little, what the fools want to buy.
                    Much of that is bad, useless, ugly, stuff....Just like people, what a
                    coincidence... The ignorant fool is the guilty party in that
                    transaction. The capitalistic system is a genius at providing
                    whatever one is willing to pay for be it good bad or ugly. That is
                    it strength, its sustenance and its only criteria for existence.
                    Ain't it wonderful?

                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:

                    > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                    > residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in
                    the US
                    > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that
                    the
                    > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am
                    all for the
                    > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                    >
                    > Gene in Ruston
                    >
                    > On 3/30/08, Douglas Pollard <Dougpol1@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Sorry, but you have really struck a
                    nerve in
                    > > me. This kind of thing is among my all time beefs and seems a
                    slap in
                    > > the face to any boatbuilder, designer or manufacturer of
                    lagitemate
                    > > products of any kind. aaagh!!
                    > >
                    > > Doug

                  • Gene Lueg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                      Then can we agree that the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for other
                      people's stupidity?

                      Gene

                      On 3/30/08, jhargrovewright2 <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:

                      > Gean,
                      > I have studied people all my life. One thing I know is that P T
                      > Barnum almost had it right. His mistake was that many fools, not
                      > just one, are born every day. What capitalism does is provide what
                      > people want enough to pay for. Unfortunately that system has also
                      > found a way to influence, just a little, what the fools want to buy.
                      > Much of that is bad, useless, ugly, stuff....Just like people, what a
                      > coincidence... The ignorant fool is the guilty party in that
                      > transaction. The capitalistic system is a genius at providing
                      > whatever one is willing to pay for be it good bad or ugly. That is
                      > it strength, its sustenance and its only criteria for existence.
                      > Ain't it wonderful?
                      >

                      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                      > > residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in
                      > the US
                      > > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that
                      > the
                      > > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am
                      > all for the
                      > > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                      > >
                      > > Gene in Ruston

                    • Douglas Pollard
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                        I agree and with huge numbers of cables hips and valleys and broken
                        lines they are ugly as home sin. At least in my opinion.

                        Doug

                        Gene Lueg wrote:

                        > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                        > residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in the US
                        > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that the
                        > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am all
                        > for the
                        > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                        >
                        > Gene in Ruston
                        >
                        > On 3/30/08, Douglas Pollard <Dougpol1@...
                        > <mailto:Dougpol1%40comcast.net>> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Sorry, but you have really struck a nerve in
                        > > me. This kind of thing is among my all time beefs and seems a slap in
                        > > the face to any boatbuilder, designer or manufacturer of lagitemate
                        > > products of any kind. aaagh!!
                        > >
                        > > Doug

                      • jhargrovewright2
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                          Yes! Without reservation. John in Bastrop

                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:

                          > Then can we agree that the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for
                          other
                          > people's stupidity?
                          >
                          > Gene
                          >
                          > On 3/30/08, jhargrovewright2 <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Gean,
                          > > I have studied people all my life. One thing I know is that P T
                          > > Barnum almost had it right. His mistake was that many fools, not
                          > > just one, are born every day. What capitalism does is provide
                          what
                          > > people want enough to pay for. Unfortunately that system has also
                          > > found a way to influence, just a little, what the fools want to
                          buy.
                          > > Much of that is bad, useless, ugly, stuff....Just like people,
                          what a
                          > > coincidence... The ignorant fool is the guilty party in that
                          > > transaction. The capitalistic system is a genius at providing
                          > > whatever one is willing to pay for be it good bad or ugly. That
                          is
                          > > it strength, its sustenance and its only criteria for existence.
                          > > Ain't it wonderful?
                          > >

                          > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens
                          in
                          > > > residential houses. I think most of the houses being
                          repossessed in
                          > > the US
                          > > > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities
                          that
                          > > the
                          > > > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am
                          > > all for the
                          > > > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                          > > >
                          > > > Gene in Ruston

                        • Douglas Pollard
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                            It may be wonderful but would you want your daughter to marry such a
                            man that had no more self respect than to design and sell such crap??
                            Could you set in your liveing room and set with a straight face and talk
                            to your new Son in Law.

                            jhargrovewright2 wrote:

                            > Gean,
                            > I have studied people all my life. One thing I know is that P T
                            > Barnum almost had it right. His mistake was that many fools, not
                            > just one, are born every day. What capitalism does is provide what
                            > people want enough to pay for. Unfortunately that system has also
                            > found a way to influence, just a little, what the fools want to buy.
                            > Much of that is bad, useless, ugly, stuff....Just like people, what a
                            > coincidence... The ignorant fool is the guilty party in that
                            > transaction. The capitalistic system is a genius at providing
                            > whatever one is willing to pay for be it good bad or ugly. That is
                            > it strength, its sustenance and its only criteria for existence.
                            > Ain't it wonderful?
                            >

                            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                            > > residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in
                            > the US
                            > > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that
                            > the
                            > > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am
                            > all for the
                            > > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                            > >
                            > > Gene in Ruston
                            > >
                            > > On 3/30/08, Douglas Pollard <Dougpol1@...> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Sorry, but you have really struck a
                            > nerve in
                            > > > me. This kind of thing is among my all time beefs and seems a
                            > slap in
                            > > > the face to any boatbuilder, designer or manufacturer of
                            > lagitemate
                            > > > products of any kind. aaagh!!
                            > > >
                            > > > Doug

                          • Douglas Pollard
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                              I agree!!
                              Doug

                              Gene Lueg wrote:

                              > Then can we agree that the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for other
                              > people's stupidity?
                              >
                              > Gene
                              >
                              > On 3/30/08, jhargrovewright2 <jhargrovewright2@...
                              > <mailto:jhargrovewright2%40juno.com>> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Gean,
                              > > I have studied people all my life. One thing I know is that P T
                              > > Barnum almost had it right. His mistake was that many fools, not
                              > > just one, are born every day. What capitalism does is provide what
                              > > people want enough to pay for. Unfortunately that system has also
                              > > found a way to influence, just a little, what the fools want to buy.
                              > > Much of that is bad, useless, ugly, stuff....Just like people, what a
                              > > coincidence... The ignorant fool is the guilty party in that
                              > > transaction. The capitalistic system is a genius at providing
                              > > whatever one is willing to pay for be it good bad or ugly. That is
                              > > it strength, its sustenance and its only criteria for existence.
                              > > Ain't it wonderful?
                              > >

                              > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                              > > > residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in
                              > > the US
                              > > > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that
                              > > the
                              > > > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am
                              > > all for the
                              > > > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                              > > >
                              > > > Gene in Ruston

                            • Gene Lueg
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                                This is my last post on houses as this is a boat forum BUT

                                If anyone is interested in home architecture the best book in my opinion is
                                "The Not So Big House" by Sarah Susanka available from Taunton Press.

                                If anyone would like to see pictures of my house, designed by me, but not
                                nearly so nice as Sarah's contact me off list at genenkay@...

                                Gene Lueg
                                Ruston, Louisiana

                                On 3/30/08, Douglas Pollard <Dougpol1@...> wrote:

                                > I agree and with huge numbers of cables hips and valleys and broken
                                > lines they are ugly as home sin. At least in my opinion.
                                >
                                > Doug
                                >

                                > Gene Lueg wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Doug, I studied architecture. The same thing and worse happens in
                                > > residential houses. I think most of the houses being repossessed in the
                                > US
                                > > are large very wasteful, frequently uninsulated monstrosities that the
                                > > ignorant public was duped into buying by selfish promoters. I am all
                                > > for the
                                > > capitalistic system but that is it's weakness, greed run amuk.
                                > >
                                > > Gene in Ruston

                              • Nels
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 30, 2008
                                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:

                                  > Then can we agree that the rest of us shouldn't have to pay for other
                                  > people's stupidity?
                                  >
                                  > Gene

                                  The biggest threat with stupid people is that they often don't realize
                                  the benefits of birth control so the population is gradually swinging
                                  towards stupidity forming the dominant gene pool.

                                  Seriously - I saw some big social science guy saying that on TV - so
                                  it must be true!

                                  Nels
                                • rhaldridge
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Lueg" <genenkay@...> wrote:

                                    > This is my last post on houses as this is a boat forum BUT
                                    >
                                    > If anyone is interested in home architecture the best book in my
                                    opinion is
                                    > "The Not So Big House" by Sarah Susanka available from Taunton Press.

                                    That's a good book, but the very best book on architecture (and city
                                    planning) is _A Pattern Language_.

                                    The authors undertook to examine a whole lot of houses that had stood
                                    the test of time-- mostly houses designed and built without the
                                    services of architects, by the people who would live in them. Their
                                    premise was that houses which were loved by their owners-- good
                                    houses-- would be maintained and endure, while bad houses would
                                    gradually fall into ruin, as no one would love them enough to keep
                                    them up. The authors observed a large number of "patterns" or rules
                                    of thumb that distinguished good houses from bad. As an example of a
                                    pattern: a good room always has outside light coming in from at least
                                    two sides. Think about the submarine rooms you've seen-- or can be
                                    found in your own house. That's a room with a window on only one
                                    side, often at the far end of the room. Not very good.

                                    I wish a similar batch of bright people would work out a pattern
                                    language for boats. There are wooden boats that have survived a
                                    hundred years-- such boats are the equivalent of houses that have
                                    stood for many generations, and probably have many lessons to teach
                                    us. Or consider Bolger, an original genius who actively rejects the
                                    influence of the past in his work. Many of his boats are very good,
                                    but... a few are very bad. Contrast this with boats whose design
                                    roots sprout from older working boats-- say, Iain Oughtred or John
                                    Welsford. They never seem to design a bad boat, and I think part of
                                    the explanation is that their designs appear to grow out of what was
                                    successful in small boats in the past. They stand on the shoulders of
                                    giants.

                                    Ray
                                  • john h wright
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                      Nels,

                                      My theory is that the decline of the human stock has deteriorated since
                                      extinction of the sabre tooth tiger. We have become less intelligent,
                                      lazy, fatter, and slower. No! I am not serious about the tiger as a
                                      creature.
                                      The tiger represents the lack of incentive to work and to risk to survive
                                      in our current welfare system in the US.
                                      I think that building and sailing boats is an exercise that demonstrates
                                      that we still have the instincts to extend our abilities to survive in
                                      this rather hostile world. If our society/economy crashed I would head
                                      to the sea, under sail, to escape the less innovative horde. Anyone have
                                      a suitable deck gun? Joke?

                                      John in Bastrop

                                    • Douglas Pollard
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                        Go take a look at this catamaran. I got this link off a post and found
                                        this design at the website and thought it really weired looking with the
                                        vertically rounded bow and also with it extreme reverse shear. I
                                        dismissed it entirely but saved the link so there must have been
                                        something there. I went back and looked at it several times and through
                                        a fog of disapproval realized that maybe that odd looking bow made some
                                        sense. With that rounded bow sharp on top should it dive into a wave it
                                        would not have to pick up a few hundred pounds of water as it comes up
                                        through the top of the wave as a decked bow might. I'm sure there is a
                                        way of doing the same thing that would have been more acceptable to my
                                        eye. The reverse shear if thats the proper term in this case also makes
                                        sense in that it provides the headroom amidships liked for standing comfort.
                                        I have been back to this site a at least six more times and now that
                                        I can see justification for some it's odd profile I at least don't see
                                        the boat as ugly. I'm not sure I personally would want one. It now
                                        seems to me to have certain charm.
                                        One thing about that bow that makes me wonder is, how do you get out
                                        on it to tie it off in a boat slip without slipping off into the water
                                        on a wet day. Maybe a trampoline is need to provide access to the bow
                                        area for this purpose and anchoring as well??
                                        Whether I decide I like her looks or not at least I believe the
                                        designer had a legitimate reason for her slightly odd profile.
                                        Anther word on fools is I think that fools ( having been one more
                                        frequently than I care to admit to ) usually grow out of being a fool at
                                        some point in life and the designer with no integrity is not likely to
                                        ever be true to himself. I is a likely a mark for drugs alcohol, divorce
                                        and other debilitating disappointments in himself. The rest of his life
                                        will probably not cure him and the sad thing is he knows he nothing to
                                        offer and tries duping people all his life rather than owning the
                                        satisfaction of having produced a viable contribution. He is the one
                                        to feel sorry for, not the fool.

                                        Doug

                                        http://www.ikarus342000.com/ECO7page.htm

                                      • pgochnour@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                          William Blake said "If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise." Sadly, wisdom sometimes comes at a high price, and in the last few moments of life on earth. Those of us who? have lived long enouigh to look back on the foolish stunts we survived when we were youngsters should be grateful...if doing foolish things eliminated everyone who did them from the gene pool most of us wouldn;t be here..I sure as hell wouldn't...

                                          Tyson in Galveston

                                          john h wright wrote:

                                          > Nels,
                                          >
                                          > My theory is that the decline of the human stock has deteriorated since
                                          > extinction of the sabre tooth tiger. We have become less intelligent,
                                          > lazy, fatter, and slower. No! I am not serious about the tiger as a
                                          > creature.
                                          > The tiger represents the lack of incentive to work and to risk to survive
                                          > in our current welfare system in the US.
                                          > I think that building and sailing boats is an exercise that demonstrates
                                          > that we still have the instincts to extend our abilities to survive in
                                          > this rather hostile world. If our society/economy crashed I would head
                                          > to the sea, under sail, to escape the less innovative horde. Anyone have
                                          > a suitable deck gun? Joke?
                                          >
                                          > John in Bastrop

                                        • Gene Lueg
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008

                                            > After reading your post and thinking about how much time my destroyer (USS
                                            > Murray DDE-576) spent with it's bow under water and the tremendous quivering
                                            > the ship went through (and how sick I got) when the bow broke through the
                                            > water I remembered the March Popular Science lead cover story was on new
                                            > warships. Look at the picture of the destroyer on page 44. I could hardly
                                            > believe it. You may can get it on popsci.com

                                            Gene Lueg

                                            > Go take a look at this catamaran. I got this link off a post and found
                                            > this design at the website and thought it really weired looking with the
                                            > vertically rounded bow and also with it extreme reverse shear. . . . . .
                                            > . and through
                                            > a fog of disapproval realized that maybe that odd looking bow made some
                                            > sense. With that rounded bow sharp on top should it dive into a wave it
                                            > would not have to pick up a few hundred pounds of water as it comes up
                                            > through the top of the wave as a decked bow might.

                                          • Bryant Owen
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                              I've heard that as a proof for God.

                                              Bryant

                                              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, pgochnour@... wrote:
                                              <snip>
                                              > Those of us who have lived long enouigh to look back on the foolish
                                              stunts we survived when we were youngsters should be grateful...

                                              > Tyson in Galveston

                                            • Douglas Pollard
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                                Gene, went to your Popular Science science site and ran up on a page on
                                                new solar electric nano cells that will likely in the near future make
                                                the whole topsides of our boats solar generaors. Take a look. Fantastic!

                                                http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bown/2007/green/item_59.html

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                                  Fast little ships are something, with fire power like a battleship.
                                                  Can't imagine her hitting a wave at 45 Knots. The wave would just go
                                                  over top as spray though likely she will never hit a really big wave at
                                                  45 knots. I am near 74 years old and I remember neighbors, local boat
                                                  builders, Mr. Owens of Owens Yacht company was one and they argued
                                                  whether plaining hulls would be faster than displacement hulls.
                                                  Whether cars painted with spray guns would ever catch on. My
                                                  Brotherinlaw was an engineer for The Glen L. Martin co got all bruised
                                                  up by being thrown into the dash panel testing a Martin seaplane when
                                                  they tried out throwing the prop in reverse just before the plane
                                                  landed on rough seas. A fellow still ows me $50.00 when he bet me we
                                                  would never make it to the moon.
                                                  So much has changed in my life. I sure would like to hang around another
                                                  74 years!!! Wonder what folks on this list will be building boats out of
                                                  and what will they look like???

                                                  Doug

                                                  Douglas Pollard wrote:

                                                  > Gene, went to your Popular Science science site and ran up on a page on
                                                  > new solar electric nano cells that will likely in the near future make
                                                  > the whole topsides of our boats solar generaors. Take a look. Fantastic!
                                                  >
                                                  > http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bown/2007/green/item_59.html
                                                  > <http://www.popsci.com/popsci/flat/bown/2007/green/item_59.html>
                                                  >
                                                  > Gene Lueg wrote:
                                                  > >

                                                  > > > After reading your post and thinking about how much time my
                                                  > > destroyer (USS
                                                  > > > Murray DDE-576) spent with it's bow under water and the tremendous
                                                  > > quivering
                                                  > > > the ship went through (and how sick I got) when the bow broke
                                                  > > through the
                                                  > > > water I remembered the March Popular Science lead cover story was
                                                  > on new
                                                  > > > warships. Look at the picture of the destroyer on page 44. I could
                                                  > > hardly
                                                  > > > believe it. You may can get it on popsci.com
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Gene Lueg

                                                • John and Kathy Trussell
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                                    Nothing changes. I've misplaced my copy of The Compleate Cruiser which was written nearly 70 years ago, but I recall a quote to the effect of vessals which looked like a collision between a railroad car and a redwood tree sailed by strange beings who were distinctly unnautical...

                                                    I'm a believer in "form follows function" and have always been intrigued by the similarities of, for example, Japanese traditional furniture, Swedish modern furniture, and Shaker furniture...

                                                    By the same token, domestic architecture is often shaped by climate--A Cape Cod has the maximum volume for the smallest surface area; a Saltbox can face its mainly shingled side to the north and face its two story windows to the south,: a Charleston half house is one room wide to maximize ventilation: etc.

                                                    Boats are somewhat similiar. A Broads gunning skiff is remarkably similiar to a Chesapeake Bay crab skiff, even though they evolved 3000 miles apart. For someone who understands how boats actually function, boats which look right often are right (and vice versa). Unfortunately, many boats are marketed to folks with no experience or understanding. The only thing worse than the boats they buy is being around while they are trying to operate them...

                                                    JohnT

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 31, 2008
                                                      After popsci.com go to Military, Aviation and Space, then Warships, then
                                                      Navy ships of the future, image 2

                                                      Gene