Re: Gulf Cruising and Jewelbox Jr

  • hawkinsamps
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
      Thanks Garth ,

      Did the sctree search here on the board . Haven't read it all , but
      I'm sold . I read the "Peaches" article on Duckworks a couple days ago
      and really enjoyed it .

      Chad

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "hawkinsamps" <hawkinsamps@> wrote:
      > > I'm leaning towards the JB jr , but my only reservation is ; how does
      > > it handle chop or rough water ?
      >

      > I coulda sworn Rick Bedard wrote somewhere about how JB Jr. handles
      > chop. But after about five minutes of searching this group's messages,
      > and searching Duckworks, I haven't found what I thought I remembered.
      > Anyway, the gist of my (possibly illusory) memory is: if you sail it
      > heeled over a bit it presents a V to the waves, and does surprisingly
      > well.
      >
      > He also wrote about his technique for rigging a bridle to hold the
      > boat at anchor at an angle to the waves to eliminate wave-slap. Back
      > in August-September 2007 we had a great go-round of questions and
      > answers about JB Jr.
      >
      > Search for "sctree" in this group -- it'll bring up all Rick's
      > postings. Also, check out
      > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/outings/peaches/ and do a quick
      > Google search of the Duckworks site for his other articles. It's hard
      > to read them and not begin immediately building a JB Jr.
      >
      > Garth
      > (still just in the dreaming-of-JB-Jr phase, watching the rain fall and
      > melt our snow)

    • Alan
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
        See MSG#12472...That the one?
        also 12428 "100 nights" some sort of record?
        Lots of others around then as you said.
        Alan.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "hawkinsamps" <hawkinsamps@> wrote:
        > > I'm leaning towards the JB jr , but my only reservation is ; how
        does
        > > it handle chop or rough water ?
        >

        > I coulda sworn Rick Bedard wrote somewhere about how JB Jr. handles
        > chop. But after about five minutes of searching this group's
        messages,
        > and searching Duckworks, I haven't found what I thought I
        remembered.
        > Anyway, the gist of my (possibly illusory) memory is: if you sail it
        > heeled over a bit it presents a V to the waves, and does
        surprisingly
        > well.
        >
        > He also wrote about his technique for rigging a bridle to hold the
        > boat at anchor at an angle to the waves to eliminate wave-slap. Back
        > in August-September 2007 we had a great go-round of questions and
        > answers about JB Jr.
        >
        > Search for "sctree" in this group -- it'll bring up all Rick's
        > postings. Also, check out
        > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/outings/peaches/ and do a
        quick
        > Google search of the Duckworks site for his other articles. It's
        hard
        > to read them and not begin immediately building a JB Jr.
        >
        > Garth
        > (still just in the dreaming-of-JB-Jr phase, watching the rain fall
        and
        > melt our snow)

      • vexatious2001
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

          > He also wrote about his technique for rigging a bridle to hold the
          > boat at anchor at an angle to the waves to eliminate wave-slap.

          I think I would move gear over to one side, and also swing the
          boom/sprit out to one side with a bucket of water or something
          on the end of it, to give the boat some heel to help with
          the wave slap.

          Max
        • John Kohnen
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
            JB, Jr. is initially pretty tender. I like to sleep over in the starboard
            bilge so I can prop my pillow up against the aft bulkhead, and leave a
            space waddling (4' headroom <g>) to port. This heels the boat over a fair
            amount. So far, slapping at anchor hasn't kept me awake, but I haven't
            given it a good test yet. My roughest night was tied up at the end of a
            dock in St. Helens and the seas were coming from aft. Sage (an honorary
            steamboat that weekend) jumped around quite a bit, but I managed to sleep
            pretty well anyway...

            I know that heeling the boat doesn't eliminate being awakened in the
            middle of the night, though. Last September at the Port Townsend Wooden
            Boat Festival I was tied up at a sheltered piece of dock, but on both
            Friday and Saturday nights I was awakened by well intentioned (but well
            lubricated) passers by who thought Sage was sinking because she was heeled
            over! I think I'll make a big sign for next time -- "THIS BOAT ISN'T
            SINKING, I'M JUST TRYING TO SLEEP!" ;o)

            --
            John <jkohnen@...>
            School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of