Re: [Michalak] Re: Luff Tension When Reefed

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 29 11:19 PM
      The modern high-tech, low-stretch ropes are expensive -- when you compare
      the same diameter ropes. But you can use much smaller diameter low-stretch
      rope in many applications, bringing the price down to only slightly
      spendy. The low-stretch rope _does_ stretch a bit until well loaded, then
      it settles in and stretches less than wire. The rope makers like to call
      it "creep." There's actually an advantage to using small diameter
      low-stretch rope because it gets the "creep" out of the way sooner than
      larger rope. But you've got to use large enough rope for you to get a grip
      on, unless you're using winches... I'm using Amsteel for the halyard,
      downhaul and snotter on Sage, my JB, Jr. It wasn't scarily expensive at
      the local commercial fishing supply store.

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long