Re: [Michalak] Trees and Wood

  • pgochnour@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2008
      Here on the Island there are lots of trees that folks call yews, which
      are not the English yews of longbow fame, but actually podacarpus. Have any of
      you guys in the Southern Hemisphere ever heard of this wood and do you know
      whether or not there is any useful application for it in construction of any
      kind, including boats?

      Tyson in Galveston

    • Brian Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2008
        Hi Tyson,

        If this is the same tree, sounds like you have a treasure there:

        http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/podocarplati.htm

        Very sought-after furniture making wood, relatively hard and often
        used for floors, doesn't split easily, and was often used for railroad
        ties, so probably would also be useful for boats.

        If it is podocarpus totara from New Zealand as you think, it should
        also be great, said to be hard, strong and extremely rot resistant,
        also used for railroad ties, fence posts, and pilings for buildings,
        and interestingly, the wood the Maoris often used for carving, so
        apparently not too hard to work.

        But JW would know exactly, I'm sure.

        Cheers, Brian

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, pgochnour@... wrote:

        > Here on the Island there are lots of trees that folks call
        yews, which
        > are not the English yews of longbow fame, but actually podacarpus.
        Have any of
        > you guys in the Southern Hemisphere ever heard of this wood and do
        you know
        > whether or not there is any useful application for it in
        construction of any
        > kind, including boats?
        >
        > Tyson in Galveston

      • Michael Rose