Re: Philsboat

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 6, 2008
      > It would be interesting to know what type of timber the ply that you
      > used is, I used Australian produced Hoop Pine but I can't pick from
      > your photos what yours are. "Pine" of some kind, no doubt. I know
      > that NZ is producing "Oregon" from plantations now so I'm wondering if
      > plywood is being produced from that source now across The Pond?

      Just a note: "Oregon" pine is not pine, it's Douglas Fir, which isn't a
      fir, either, alas. It's a Pseudotsuga (false hemlock) menziesii. It's a
      great tree, grows like a weed and straight, too, and a great wood, for
      dimensional lumber and plywood. Light and strong, and prone to moisture
      cycling (because of the difference is the earlywood and latewood). Many
      people do not like the look of the roto-cut grain (and I pretty much agree).

      Old growth doug-fir is an outstanding boatbuilding wood, works well,
      strong, relatively light, good rot and decay resistance. Newer growth,
      which is what is mostly available and/or affordable, isn't quite as
      good, but it's just fine for what most of us build.

      Because of the moisture cycling, DF plywood checks (small openings
      appear in the face of the plywod) which is ugly, invites more
      cycling/checking, and ultimately rot/decay. This is why DF plywood boats
      are often recommended to be covered with epoxy and glass (or other
      fabric), which inhibits checking. Paint and/or epoxy alone are not
      enough to stop checking.

      -Chris
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 22, 2016
        Loved this article. Bit of an enlarged version.

        Duckworks Magazine