Re: Caroline

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 2, 2008
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Caroline Gould" <c2go2002@...> wrote:

      > Hello Group!
      >
      > I admit to have been lurking for a couple of years.
      >
      > I admit to building:
      > a Toto; etc.
      etc.

      > I admit to growing up on Cape Cod etc. etc.
      >
      > I admit to learning a lot from you all....

      Yes, we see that you admit to all that, but do you
      admit to drinking beer ??

      Don't know much about Cape Cod other than Arey's Pond
      is actually Joe Arey's Pond.

      I mailed off an order today for a set of "Caroline" plans.

      Post photos of progress.

      Max
    • Mike Mulcahy
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 5, 2008
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mulcahy" <kakwariver@> wrote:
        >
        > > I gotta protest this besmirching of the junk rig's efficiency. A
        > > totally flat junk sail made of modern nonstretch material is not
        so
        > > good I'll admit but it is easy to build camber into them. I
        > > frequently sail with a guy who has a 17 foot marconi rigged sloop
        (a
        > > CL 17) and in all but light wind conditions I could sail as fast
        and
        > > point slightly closer into the wind with my polytarp junkrig (his
        > > observations).
        >
        > So perhaps if your sail was one panel taller you could even sail as
        fast
        > if not faster in light winds?
        >
        > Not that it matters as I am not interested in racing. However if....
        >
        > Nels

        Of course any sail will be better in light winds if it is made
        larger. The gurney flap on my sail, which is very efficient at
        creating lift in medium and stronger winds, ceases to creat lift at a
        certain point in light winds. My friend and I will be sailing along
        evenly in a dying breeze and at a certain point he suddenly walks
        away from me.
        Compared to the rig designed for Philsboat, my sail is one panel
        taller. I've considered making a sail one panel taller yet but I
        don't think I'll do it. It seems almost ideal as it is.
        Probably a junk sail with all of its camber built into the panels
        (and no gurney flap) would be better in light winds. But, I think
        most people would say that when the wind is that light (under 5
        knots?) it's not much fun trying to sail anyway.
        Mike