Re: [Michalak] Re: OT: beer: Wisconsin vs Texas

  • pgochnour@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 2, 2008
      "Would you rather have a Coors or a Fat Tire?" That's like asking would
      you rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick or eat a cheeseburger?
      Actually, Fat Tire is a bit sweet for my taste, but New Belgium, which is
      up in your neck of the woods in Fort Collins and makes F.T., also makes a
      beer called 2 Below, which is really really good and more my style.
      In the brewpub world the joke was as follows..guy walks into a brewpub
      and asks for a Coors.
      Bartender explains "This is a brewpub sir, and the only beers we sell are
      the ones we make here."
      Guy says "well, gimme the closest thing you got to a Coors."
      Bartender gives him a glass of ice water.

      Happy Trails, Tyson in Galveston

    • Don Swearingen
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 2, 2008
        Praise the Lord for the great NW! How do they grow hops there? When I was stationed in Deutchsland (longer ago than I want to admit.) we'd drive to Munich, and there were these telephone poles put at crazy angles in fields. In the summer they'd have vines growing up them and on the lines stretched between them. I had to ask someone to find out those were hops fields.

        To: Michalak@yahoogroups.comFrom: arvent@...: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 00:58:51 +0000Subject: [Michalak] Re: OT: beer: Wisconsin vs Texas

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Don Swearingen <opaswearingen@...> wrote:>> > Don't know about the hops. I understand a lot of it comes from thePacific NW. But Miller and Busch will have to suck wind if there's abarley shortage. Coors gets all of it from the San Luis Valley. But... would you rather have Coors or Fat Tire? BTW, I don't knowabout anyone else, but Coors invested a lot of money in micro-brewingin this state. Apparently they don't feel threatened by it. Prosit! > Anybody want hops - my front porch is covered with them and theythreaten to take over my trailer.(Pacific NW location.)And I would bet there is a lot more malting barley grown around theworld each year than we could ever drink up. A lot of it ends up beingused for feed.I expect the whole shortage deal is artificially created by thebrewing companies who only want "exclusive" varieties which keep theretail prices up.Same with wines.Here is a link to one small malt plant in Sask,, which has an annualcapacity to produce 220,000 metric tonnes.http://www.prairiemaltltd.com/index.html"Prairie Malt Limited is located in Biggar, Saskatchewan, Canada, inthe heart of Canada's vast prairie region. Some of the best barley inthe world is grown within a one hundred kilometre radius of thismalthouse, which has an annual capacity of 220,000 metric tonnes.""Each year, more than 293,000 metric tonnes of malting barley are usedto make 220,000 metric tonnes of malt, which we ship to our customersthroughout Canada, the United States, Mexico, the Pacific Rim, SouthAfrica and Latin America."So we have malt and hops for ya if you run short:-)Nels

      • Don Swearingen
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2008
          Well... what can I say? Although I think I'd rather have Coors than Jax. Or do they still make that?

          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.comFrom: pgochnour@...: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:07:27 -0500Subject: Re: [Michalak] Re: OT: beer: Wisconsin vs Texas

          "Would you rather have a Coors or a Fat Tire?" That's like asking would you rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick or eat a cheeseburger? Actually, Fat Tire is a bit sweet for my taste, but New Belgium, which is up in your neck of the woods in Fort Collins and makes F.T., also makes a beer called 2 Below, which is really really good and more my style. In the brewpub world the joke was as follows..guy walks into a brewpub and asks for a Coors. Bartender explains "This is a brewpub sir, and the only beers we sell are the ones we make here."Guy says "well, gimme the closest thing you got to a Coors."Bartender gives him a glass of ice water. Happy Trails, Tyson in Galveston **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Jerry E. Fletcher
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2008
            There are worse beers than Coors, not many, but there are some. Jax
            is not longer made. Thank the Lord for small favors. It was
            notorious for giving one the runs. Still better than Pabst, though.

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Don Swearingen <opaswearingen@...> wrote:

            > Well... what can I say? Although I think I'd rather have Coors than
            Jax. Or do they still make that?

            > To: Michalak@...: pgochnour@...: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:07:27
            -0500Subject: Re: [Michalak] Re: OT: beer: Wisconsin vs Texas

            > "Would you rather have a Coors or a Fat Tire?" That's like asking
            would you rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick or eat a
            cheeseburger? Actually, Fat Tire is a bit sweet for my taste, but New
            Belgium, which is up in your neck of the woods in Fort Collins and
            makes F.T., also makes a beer called 2 Below, which is really really
            good and more my style. In the brewpub world the joke was as
            follows..guy walks into a brewpub and asks for a Coors. Bartender
            explains "This is a brewpub sir, and the only beers we sell are the
            ones we make here."Guy says "well, gimme the closest thing you got to
            a Coors."Bartender gives him a glass of ice water. Happy Trails, Tyson
            in Galveston **************************************See AOL's top rated
            recipes
            (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)[Non-text
            portions of this message have been removed]

          • Nels
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 2, 2008
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Don Swearingen <opaswearingen@...> wrote:

              > Praise the Lord for the great NW! How do they grow hops there?

              Darned if I know - they were here when I moved from Saskatchewan:-)

              I harvested malting barley though when I was a kid back on the prairies.

              Lots of fruit and grape growing around here too, so probably the same
              climate is conducive for all of these potential brew items, I am
              sipping a bottle of local apple lime cider as I type - made locally.
              Cheaper than beer and 7% alkie hol.Dry and tangy:-)

              If you google "growing hops at home" you get about 332,000 links.

              Nels
            • Chris Partridge
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                Boat content:
                Why is Watney's Red Barrel like making love in a punt?
                Because it's f*^%%$* close to water....

                --
                "It cannot be too clearly understood that this is not a free country, and it will be an evil day for the legal profession when it is." A.P.Herbert
              • Brian Anderson
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                  I was reading in the Economist news magazine the other day that what
                  happened this year with the hops was that lots of land got changed over to
                  growing corn because of the big new ethanol subsidies. Apparently it is kind
                  of a disaster for the smaller brewers. The big companies have a bunch of
                  farmers on contract to grow, so they don't have any big problems, but the
                  little guys are hurting because the prices have tripled or more, and some of
                  the more unusual strains used only in microbrews aren't even available at
                  any price this year.

                  But since the prices have gone up so much, that should get fixed next year.
                  I was reading though that some of the more marginal operations have been
                  forced to close. Bummer. And we are all going to be paying more for our beer
                  down the road. Even here in Germany the beer prices are up because of it.
                  The Germans are not pleased...

                  I read a funny thing last year here in Cologne. Cologne and Dusseldorf both
                  have their own city syles of beer. Kolsh is the Cologne beer (and also the
                  name of the local dialect of German) and Dusseldorf makes Alt Bier, and
                  there is a rivalry between the two. The Rhine was nearly over its banks here
                  in my neighborhood and I was checking out the Cologne water level forcast
                  online.

                  There was a "newsflash" like you sometimes see on the site and apparently
                  the levees had failed in Dusseldorf a couple of days before and the
                  fermentation tanks and store rooms of the Alt bier brewers were flooded.
                  This was a catastrophe for the brewers, obviously, as they were looking at
                  tremendous losses. Then somebody had the bright idea of just pumping the
                  flood waters into the kegs and distributing that. The brewers held their
                  breaths.... and nobody noticed. In fact they got letters complimenting them
                  on the new recipe.

                  So I was reading this, and wondering, as often happens, if I had missed some
                  important word somewhere. But it turned out that the important bit I had
                  forgotten was the date... April 1.

                  Cheers, Brian

                  On Jan 3, 2008 4:52 AM, Nels <arvent@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>, Don
                  > Swearingen <opaswearingen@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Praise the Lord for the great NW! How do they grow hops there?
                  >
                  > Darned if I know - they were here when I moved from Saskatchewan:-)
                  >
                  > I harvested malting barley though when I was a kid back on the prairies.
                  >
                  > Lots of fruit and grape growing around here too, so probably the same
                  > climate is conducive for all of these potential brew items, I am
                  > sipping a bottle of local apple lime cider as I type - made locally.
                  > Cheaper than beer and 7% alkie hol.Dry and tangy:-)
                  >
                  > If you google "growing hops at home" you get about 332,000 links.

                • Rob Rohde-Szudy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Aw hell, I knew I was opening a can of worms...

                    I'll only add that hops will grow damned near anywhere once you get them established. Henry VIII once banned them as a "noxious weed". Which they sort of are. But they're the kind of weed I like. I say let 'em take over the lawn and quit wasting time on mowing.

                    --Rob

                    Re: OT: beer: Wisconsin vs Texas
                    Posted by: "Don Swearingen" opaswearingen@... opaswearingen

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Brian, I was somewhat embarrassed to contribute to the beer thread, since I was originally
                      unaware of the Six Degrees Principle and didn't come here looking for beer. However I
                      must mention that kolsch is my official favorite beer from my first visit to Germany. I
                      sampled the local brews of about ten cities there last summer. All of my German beer
                      tasting was full of freshness and character. I was impressed. Perhaps the other favorite
                      memory of my visit (which wasn't really a vacation, it was for work) was the Rhine.
                      Beautiful! That's some challenging current, right? Are there amateur-built stitch and glue
                      vessels out there? What kind of water is available to you? By the way, I was completely
                      sucked in by that April First story about the flooded breweries. First mild panic, then
                      laughter. (The altbier was quite good in my experience...)

                      Prost,
                      Richard

                    • pgochnour@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Nothing wrong with a can of worms , Rob.....prob'ly better'n a can of
                        Coors..

                        Tyson in Galveston

                      • Bryant Owen
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                          I grew so called wild hops here in Southern Ontario. Hops were common
                          to many farm gardens. The hops were used to make hop raised bread,
                          home made beer, an herbal tea, etc. North shore of Lake Ontario is, as
                          many know, great for growing grapes. Well, hops are hardier and up
                          until the fifties/sixties, both hops and barley were raised locally
                          for the "beer" market. Quaker Oats plant in Peterborough AFAIK still
                          buys barley but not sure why.

                          BTW - during WWII someone thought that crossing hops with marijuana
                          (related plants) could create faster growing, stronger rope. IIRC it
                          wasn't very successful but the hops cross when used in beer making
                          gave a beer with a mild THC content. Needless to say, the "field" was
                          destroyed when you know what became evil.

                          Bryant

                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

                          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Don Swearingen <opaswearingen@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Praise the Lord for the great NW! How do they grow hops there?
                          >
                          > Darned if I know - they were here when I moved from Saskatchewan:-)
                          >
                          > I harvested malting barley though when I was a kid back on the prairies.
                          >
                          > Lots of fruit and grape growing around here too, so probably the same
                          > climate is conducive for all of these potential brew items, I am
                          > sipping a bottle of local apple lime cider as I type - made locally.
                          > Cheaper than beer and 7% alkie hol.Dry and tangy:-)
                          >
                          > If you google "growing hops at home" you get about 332,000 links.
                          >
                          > Nels

                        • Nels
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

                            > BTW - during WWII someone thought that crossing hops with marijuana
                            > (related plants) could create faster growing, stronger rope.

                            Now there's a marriage made in heaven;-)

                            "But ocifer I was only growing some rope for my sailboat!"

                            Nels
                          • john h wright
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                              Bryan Anderson,

                              Any economy will react to changes which is good or bad but necessary.
                              That change is predictable and unfortunately unpredictable.

                              An economy acts like a watermelon seed when squeezed between your
                              fingers, it pops (or should I say "hops") out at high speed and you never
                              know exactly where. You just know that it will.

                              The poor people in Mexico (and others) can not afford their staple grain
                              now that ethanol demand has raised the price so much. They are hungry.

                              I will stop the rant here before I say what I really "think" about beer
                              drinking gas-alcohol-ics. Shiner Bock is brewed about 40 min. down the
                              road. A favorite stop on my way to the Texas Coast. Interesting clean
                              neat little town with unusual demographics and really good beer.
                            • Brian Anderson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                                Richard, yes the Rhine flows along at a pretty good clip. Around Cologne, it
                                isn't particularly challenging though, as the river has been channelized so
                                heavily for shipping and land reclamation that it is pretty much like a
                                canal. You do have to watch out for the little stone piers they build out
                                from the banks to stop erosion though, at some water levels. Upstream a bit,
                                in the Rhine Gorge area with the vineyards it can still be pretty hairy
                                though. Other than that, there are a lot of nice canoing rivers around here
                                -- lots of dams but they have such an old and popular tradition of canoing
                                here that many of them have little canoe slides built into the dams - kind
                                of like a kid's water slide so you can line a canoe down and even sometimes
                                if you are feeling lucky, just paddle over the edge and slide on down (I
                                don't do this). It is really nice. If you google "Rhine Kanuen" there are a
                                couple of stories I wrote about Rhine Kanuen.

                                I spun the Dusseldorf Alt Bier story for some friends from Cologne when we
                                were drinking Kolsh after a soccer game. One guy snorted and said something
                                like: "Ja, that story was obviously planted by a hacker from Dusseldorf.
                                They don't brew beer there. They have these big buildings, they go to work
                                every day, sit around drinking liters of Kolsh, pump water from the Rhine
                                in, piss in it, and then sell that. That has been their recipe for
                                centuries. The difference was that because of the flood, they couldn't get
                                any Kolsh and so people noticed that the beer didn't taste like piss
                                anymore. Probably they just got caught by the EU recently, and had to make
                                up some story."

                                I think he was kidding. I like Kolsh better, but Alt beer is pretty good
                                too.

                                Cheers, Brian

                              • Nels
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 3, 2008
                                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Anderson" <bawrytr@...> wrote:

                                  > Richard, yes the Rhine flows along at a pretty good clip. Around
                                  Cologne, it
                                  > isn't particularly challenging though, as the river has been
                                  channelized so
                                  > heavily for shipping and land reclamation that it is pretty much like a
                                  > canal.

                                  Ah Cologne! (or Koln as it shows up on the map?) I recall way back
                                  when being there in Feb for the Fasching I think it was called. Buddy
                                  and I got there when it was in full swing and talk about a crazy
                                  place. Met this robust fraulein too I did. After two days and nights I
                                  was a wreck. Took me about a week to recover. Can't actually remember
                                  many of the details though:-)

                                  Oh yes I lost my wallet including my ID card the second night, is why
                                  we had to leave. The day after I got back, the Canadian Consul in Koln
                                  called the guardhouse to say it had been turned in to them. Everything
                                  was in it including all the money and the finder had left no name or
                                  address to even get thanked.