Heavy Weather Stories?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
      Just something that popped into my mind during one of my many hours
      of "windshield time"- The majority of the sailing stories we see hear
      are about builders/owners of Michalak designs sailing along placidly on
      their local small lake. But I'm just wondering if anyone has experience
      of dealing with heavy weather or "Big Water" conditions in a Michalak
      design. Any memorable experiences out there, folks? Let us know!

      Mike Sandell, Skipper

      "Valkyrie II"
    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
        Hell, MIke, we've all been waiting for you to go first! You're right by Lake Michigan and all!
        --Rob

        Heavy Weather Stories?
        Posted by: "Mike" michsand@... skua1950

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
          Hey Gents,
          The only thing I've seen/read is by Garth Battista
          off Long Island Sound
          aboard his families Cormorant in Duckworks. Also
          someone in this group wrote about being capsized in a
          storm on a lake in the North West a month or two ago,
          I can't remember the details.
          Dean

          --- Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...> wrote:

          > Hell, MIke, we've all been waiting for you to go
          > first! You're right by Lake Michigan and all!
          > --Rob
          >

          > Heavy Weather Stories?
          > Posted by: "Mike" michsand@...
          > skua1950
          > Date: Wed Dec 5, 2007 6:53 pm ((PST))
          >
          > Just something that popped into my mind during one
          > of my many hours
          > of "windshield time"- The majority of the sailing
          > stories we see hear
          > are about builders/owners of Michalak designs
          > sailing along placidly on
          >
          > their local small lake. But I'm just wondering if
          > anyone has experience
          >
          > of dealing with heavy weather or "Big Water"
          > conditions in a Michalak
          > design. Any memorable experiences out there, folks?
          > Let us know!
          >
          > Mike Sandell, Skipper
          >
          > "Valkyrie II"

          > removed]
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
            The only sailing time I've ever had on Michigan was over a dozen
            years ago, Rob, when I had a Lippincott Lightning I kept dry-moored
            at Montrose harbor. The boat was really too much for me to handle
            with my limited experience at that time, and I made a point of not
            going out if the waves were anything over three feet. I just wasn't
            up to the task back then! :)

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
            wrote:

            > Hell, MIke, we've all been waiting for you to go first! You're
            right by Lake Michigan and all!
            > --Rob
            >

            > Heavy Weather Stories?
            > Posted by: "Mike" michsand@... skua1950
            > Date: Wed Dec 5, 2007 6:53 pm ((PST))
            >
            > Just something that popped into my mind during one of my many hours
            > of "windshield time"- The majority of the sailing stories we see
            hear
            > are about builders/owners of Michalak designs sailing along
            placidly on

            > their local small lake. But I'm just wondering if anyone has
            experience

            > of dealing with heavy weather or "Big Water" conditions in a
            Michalak
            > design. Any memorable experiences out there, folks? Let us know!
            >
            > Mike Sandell, Skipper
            >
            > "Valkyrie II"

          • Rob Rohde-Szudy
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2007
              I don't blame you. You're not likely to catch me out there! More to see on smaller water anyhow. --Rob

              Re: Heavy Weather Stories?
              Posted by: "Mike" michsand@... skua1950

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2007
                We must chat about a trip a friend an I made in my
                Mixer on Portage Lake, U.P., MI. Force 6 - we were
                making 7 knots with both of us hanging over the rail
                to keep the boat on the water. 4 knots to windward
                with no effort at all! The first time I ever put on
                my life jacket!

                TJH