Re: [Michalak] Re: Polyester resin

  • john h wright
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
      Come on guys. Polyester is a good product. If it is still liquid it is
      good to go. Done it many times even when only a part of the can is
      still liquid. The life in a can is a couple of years, generally, then it
      starts getting hard and won't pour out of the can....Toss it! I helped
      my father cover a boat in about 1953 and have had great success ever
      since.

      Ever product that comes along is considered the answer to all
      problems....until the limits are found. Stay within the limits. As Mr.
      Harry said "You gotta know the products limitations".

      John in Bastrop
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john h wright
        <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:

        > Come on guys. Polyester is a good product. If it is still liquid
        it is
        > good to go. Done it many times even when only a part of the can
        is
        > still liquid. The life in a can is a couple of years, generally,
        then it
        > starts getting hard and won't pour out of the can....Toss it! I
        helped
        > my father cover a boat in about 1953 and have had great success
        ever
        > since.
        >
        > Ever product that comes along is considered the answer to all
        > problems....until the limits are found. Stay within the limits.
        As Mr.
        > Harry said "You gotta know the products limitations".
        >
        > John in Bastrop

        The difference in price between polyester and epoxy is not nearly as
        great as it used to be, and shipping more than one gal. of polyester
        usually involves an additional hazardous material fee than makes
        the price difference even less.

        Plus, while some would argue that, for coating, the polyester is OK,
        fewer argue that it can be used for glueing as well, and it is an
        advantage to have just one resin that can be used for both purposes,
        rather than (2) resins; one for glueing and another for coating.

        Max

      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
          Polyester resin is not a glue. Its original use was to be the "plastic" in "glass re-enforced plastic" or GRP. It has been used for literally thousands of stitch and glue boats, most notably the Mirror Dinghy. It will stick fiberglass tape or cloth to plywood and is still the material of choice for mass produced fiberglass boats.

          Epoxy does everything polyester does, is an effective glue with considerable gap filling properties, and is somewhat less permeable to water than polyester. Epoxy is a superior product. It is also more expensive than polyester.

          It has been my experience that the cost of materials which are used in making a boat constitute a very small part of the total cost of the boat. In my old age, I can afford superior materials and I use expensive plywood (either marine grade okume or sign grade MDO) and epoxy. However, if you are building on the cheap (been there, done that), it doesn't make much sense to me to use el cheapo plywood and expensive epoxy. The el cheapo plywood will do the job for awhile, anyway, and the polyester resin will too.

          JohnT

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
            I wondered too about the shelf life of polyester resin. A friend gave me a gallon of it still in the unopened can. He can't remember when he got it. It was from west marine so I went over to their store here (they have 6 in Jacksonville,FL.) and asked about it's shelf life. I was told that "west marine" (connot say for an other brand) polyester still in an unopened can has a shelf life of one year. After that they said to dispose of it according to safe handling methods at which point I was deferred to the fire department hazmat unit so as to find out these said safe methods. They wouldn't even recommend testing it, just get rid of it. I've bought some fresh catalyst and plan on trying it out on a test piece of ply to see how it does. If it doesn't work, then I'll contact the hazmat unit and find out about disposing of it.

            I'll let you all know the results here.

            Geoff