Polyester resin

  • freedomseeker25
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
      I have some polyester resin from an old project, enough to coat my
      puccup sq. below the waterline. Im thinking of coating the bottom
      then painting with primer & paint (latex). Talked to 2 people that
      did this and had no problems. What do you think? Gotta move fast
      before its too cold to paint in Portland Or.

      Greg
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
        I used quite a bit of polyester resin years ago with considerable success. The problems I had were attributed to old or stale hardener. If you're going to use old resin, I would suggest that a) you use fresh hardener and b) you coat a test panel to make sure that the polyester resin will get hard enough to sand. If you test it on the boat and it doesn't get hard, you will have a dreadful mess.

        I suspect that plain resin (polyester or epoxy) will not prevent checking. If you are going to use the polyester with a layer of glass cloth, its probably worth the effort. If you are just hoping to seal the plywood, I think I would skip it and figure on two coats of primer/filler (both well sanded) and two coats of paint. Just make sure you use the same brand for primer and paint (and make sure that the primer is compatible with latex--some of them are formulated for oil based paint).

        JohnT

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "freedomseeker25"
          <freedomseeker25@...> wrote:

          > I have some polyester resin from an old project, enough to coat my
          > puccup sq. below the waterline. Im thinking of coating the bottom
          > then painting with primer & paint (latex). Talked to 2 people
          that
          > did this and had no problems. What do you think? Gotta move fast
          > before its too cold to paint in Portland Or.
          >
          > Greg

          I think polyester has a short shelf life. You better check
          that.

          I think I would just go with epoxy, but if I were to try
          polyester, I would be sure it is fresh stuff.

          Beyond that, I don't know if coating only below the waterline
          (which will change drastically in a small boat depending
          upon the loading) is such a good idea. Coat the whole thing
          or don't coat at all.

          Just my opinion.

          And I always have one.

          Max

          Max
        • vexatious2001
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
            By the way, if using polyester I assume you would need
            to use finishing resin and not laminating resin.

            Or you would need to add the wax stuff to the laminating resin,
            although apparently Payson got laminating resin to harden
            by painting over the wet resin, which I don't think I would
            try.

            Max
          • john h wright
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
              Come on guys. Polyester is a good product. If it is still liquid it is
              good to go. Done it many times even when only a part of the can is
              still liquid. The life in a can is a couple of years, generally, then it
              starts getting hard and won't pour out of the can....Toss it! I helped
              my father cover a boat in about 1953 and have had great success ever
              since.

              Ever product that comes along is considered the answer to all
              problems....until the limits are found. Stay within the limits. As Mr.
              Harry said "You gotta know the products limitations".

              John in Bastrop
            • vexatious2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john h wright
                <jhargrovewright2@...> wrote:

                > Come on guys. Polyester is a good product. If it is still liquid
                it is
                > good to go. Done it many times even when only a part of the can
                is
                > still liquid. The life in a can is a couple of years, generally,
                then it
                > starts getting hard and won't pour out of the can....Toss it! I
                helped
                > my father cover a boat in about 1953 and have had great success
                ever
                > since.
                >
                > Ever product that comes along is considered the answer to all
                > problems....until the limits are found. Stay within the limits.
                As Mr.
                > Harry said "You gotta know the products limitations".
                >
                > John in Bastrop

                The difference in price between polyester and epoxy is not nearly as
                great as it used to be, and shipping more than one gal. of polyester
                usually involves an additional hazardous material fee than makes
                the price difference even less.

                Plus, while some would argue that, for coating, the polyester is OK,
                fewer argue that it can be used for glueing as well, and it is an
                advantage to have just one resin that can be used for both purposes,
                rather than (2) resins; one for glueing and another for coating.

                Max

              • John and Kathy Trussell
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
                  Polyester resin is not a glue. Its original use was to be the "plastic" in "glass re-enforced plastic" or GRP. It has been used for literally thousands of stitch and glue boats, most notably the Mirror Dinghy. It will stick fiberglass tape or cloth to plywood and is still the material of choice for mass produced fiberglass boats.

                  Epoxy does everything polyester does, is an effective glue with considerable gap filling properties, and is somewhat less permeable to water than polyester. Epoxy is a superior product. It is also more expensive than polyester.

                  It has been my experience that the cost of materials which are used in making a boat constitute a very small part of the total cost of the boat. In my old age, I can afford superior materials and I use expensive plywood (either marine grade okume or sign grade MDO) and epoxy. However, if you are building on the cheap (been there, done that), it doesn't make much sense to me to use el cheapo plywood and expensive epoxy. The el cheapo plywood will do the job for awhile, anyway, and the polyester resin will too.

                  JohnT

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
                    I wondered too about the shelf life of polyester resin. A friend gave me a gallon of it still in the unopened can. He can't remember when he got it. It was from west marine so I went over to their store here (they have 6 in Jacksonville,FL.) and asked about it's shelf life. I was told that "west marine" (connot say for an other brand) polyester still in an unopened can has a shelf life of one year. After that they said to dispose of it according to safe handling methods at which point I was deferred to the fire department hazmat unit so as to find out these said safe methods. They wouldn't even recommend testing it, just get rid of it. I've bought some fresh catalyst and plan on trying it out on a test piece of ply to see how it does. If it doesn't work, then I'll contact the hazmat unit and find out about disposing of it.

                    I'll let you all know the results here.

                    Geoff