Re: Launching At the Arkansas Messabout

  • Phillip Lea
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
      Graeme,

      I did see the Family Skiff. I chose Toon2 for simple aesthetics. I
      prefer the shape of the bow and flair in plank. And once removing
      Toon2 cabin, was able to redraw Toon2's sheer to suit.

      Have added a new photo of sailing.

      Thanks for your interest,

      Phil

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
      <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

      > Hi Phil,
      >
      > congratulations, nice one - thanks for sharing the pics.
      >
      > A couple of queries below. if ya don't mind.
      >

      > Did you consider the Family Skiff? (I don't think any have been
      > built, and I don't know why. FS seems to fit most of the
      > requirements you wanted.) If you considered it, why did you pass
      > over that one?
      > (Hmmm... your stretched Toon2 open boat should have a hull speed a
      > bit higher than Family Skiff. The FS bow treatment shortens
      > waterline length... )
      >
      > Do you know if Jim is going to include that open boat option in
      the
      > stretch plans? As for the plans, has Jim drawn all the
      modifications
      > you include, or did you just wing it yourself a fair bit?
      >
      > cheers
      > Graeme
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Lea" <phillip_lea@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The enclosed compartments fore
      > > and aft are plenty large enough to hold any amount of
      > > equipment, gear and supplies that we would reasonably
      > > need. There are numerous arrangements for tents rigged
      > > over cockpits to provide for sleeping arrangements, and at
      > > the appropriate time, we will go that route. Inspiration from:
      > > Dinghy Cruising Association http://www.dca.uk.com/aims.htm.
      > > And, "There are few pleasures in life that come close to the
      > > joy of cruising on an open boat." from
      > > http://www.openboat.co.nz/.

    • Phillip Lea
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        Graeme, I adapted all this myself. Jim did not draw any of my
        modifications. I do not know if he will draw an open boat version.