Re: Launching At the Arkansas Messabout

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi Phil,

      congratulations, nice one - thanks for sharing the pics.

      A couple of queries below. if ya don't mind.

      Did you consider the Family Skiff? (I don't think any have been
      built, and I don't know why. FS seems to fit most of the
      requirements you wanted.) If you considered it, why did you pass
      over that one?
      (Hmmm... your stretched Toon2 open boat should have a hull speed a
      bit higher than Family Skiff. The FS bow treatment shortens
      waterline length... )

      Do you know if Jim is going to include that open boat option in the
      stretch plans? As for the plans, has Jim drawn all the modifications
      you include, or did you just wing it yourself a fair bit?

      cheers
      Graeme

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Lea" <phillip_lea@...>
      wrote:

      > The enclosed compartments fore
      > and aft are plenty large enough to hold any amount of
      > equipment, gear and supplies that we would reasonably
      > need. There are numerous arrangements for tents rigged
      > over cockpits to provide for sleeping arrangements, and at
      > the appropriate time, we will go that route. Inspiration from:
      > Dinghy Cruising Association http://www.dca.uk.com/aims.htm.
      > And, "There are few pleasures in life that come close to the
      > joy of cruising on an open boat." from
      > http://www.openboat.co.nz/.
    • Phillip Lea
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
        Graeme,

        I did see the Family Skiff. I chose Toon2 for simple aesthetics. I
        prefer the shape of the bow and flair in plank. And once removing
        Toon2 cabin, was able to redraw Toon2's sheer to suit.

        Have added a new photo of sailing.

        Thanks for your interest,

        Phil

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
        <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

        > Hi Phil,
        >
        > congratulations, nice one - thanks for sharing the pics.
        >
        > A couple of queries below. if ya don't mind.
        >

        > Did you consider the Family Skiff? (I don't think any have been
        > built, and I don't know why. FS seems to fit most of the
        > requirements you wanted.) If you considered it, why did you pass
        > over that one?
        > (Hmmm... your stretched Toon2 open boat should have a hull speed a
        > bit higher than Family Skiff. The FS bow treatment shortens
        > waterline length... )
        >
        > Do you know if Jim is going to include that open boat option in
        the
        > stretch plans? As for the plans, has Jim drawn all the
        modifications
        > you include, or did you just wing it yourself a fair bit?
        >
        > cheers
        > Graeme
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Lea" <phillip_lea@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > The enclosed compartments fore
        > > and aft are plenty large enough to hold any amount of
        > > equipment, gear and supplies that we would reasonably
        > > need. There are numerous arrangements for tents rigged
        > > over cockpits to provide for sleeping arrangements, and at
        > > the appropriate time, we will go that route. Inspiration from:
        > > Dinghy Cruising Association http://www.dca.uk.com/aims.htm.
        > > And, "There are few pleasures in life that come close to the
        > > joy of cruising on an open boat." from
        > > http://www.openboat.co.nz/.

      • Phillip Lea
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
          Graeme, I adapted all this myself. Jim did not draw any of my
          modifications. I do not know if he will draw an open boat version.