Re: flotation material

  • lulalake_1999
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
      How about house insulation? Much cheaper.

      --- In Michalak@y..., "ntsrfer" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
      > I now of a few sources. At Wallmart they have those camping bed
      > rolls used for back packing. The inexspensive light blue ones
      there
      > close celled. $4.98 each 24''x 72''x 1/2 or 1/4 '' Or for $34.98
      one
      > of those pool mattresses that are closed cell foam there an inch
      or 2
      > thick. West Marine has closed cell foam cock pit pads in two or
      three
      > different sizes for some 40 to 70 $ a pop.
      >
      > Todd
      >

      > --- In Michalak@y..., "rnlocnil" <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
      > > Anyone know a cheap source of polyethylene foam or other closed
      > cell,
      > > flexible foam suitable for flotation? Will be exposed, and
      > styrofoam
      > > dents too easily. For sorta Roar 2. Was going to use funnoodles,
      > but
      > > that season is past.
    • rnlocnil
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
        This is an exposed application so I don't want it to be all ratty and
        dented, as styrene foam, even extruded styrene, would eventually
        become. Urethane is kind of crumbly. This is a rowboat so there is no
        gas on board, but for people that do have gasoline on board, I should
        think it would make them nervous about their flotation disappearing if
        some of the gas got loose. I'm pretty sure polyethylene,
        polypropylene, or urethane foams wouldn't have the same problem.

        Someone gave a tip about camping pads. Thanks. I made the same
        discovery yesterday. Slightly cheaper per volume, I think, than
        funnoodles, and maybe a neater installation. I found it in a thread
        discussing protective pads for Society for Creative Anachronism
        fighting gear! The net is weird. Will check out the local Ames again.
        --- In Michalak@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
        > How about house insulation? Much cheaper.

      • ntsrfer
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2002
          Also look at those square 4'x4' matts that they sell at lowes you can
          piece them together like a puzzle in red ,yellow and blue there 1''
          thick and there some sort of foamy rubber.

          Todd

          --- In Michalak@y..., "rnlocnil" <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
          > This is an exposed application so I don't want it to be all ratty
          and
          > dented, as styrene foam, even extruded styrene, would eventually
          > become. Urethane is kind of crumbly. This is a rowboat so there is
          no
          > gas on board, but for people that do have gasoline on board, I
          should
          > think it would make them nervous about their flotation disappearing
          if
          > some of the gas got loose. I'm pretty sure polyethylene,
          > polypropylene, or urethane foams wouldn't have the same problem.
          >
          > Someone gave a tip about camping pads. Thanks. I made the same
          > discovery yesterday. Slightly cheaper per volume, I think, than
          > funnoodles, and maybe a neater installation. I found it in a thread
          > discussing protective pads for Society for Creative Anachronism
          > fighting gear! The net is weird. Will check out the local Ames
          again.
          > --- In Michalak@y..., "lulalake_1999" <lulalake_1999@y...> wrote:
          > > How about house insulation? Much cheaper.

        • ozboater
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
            --- In Michalak@y..., "rnlocnil" <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
            > Anyone know a cheap source of polyethylene foam or other closed
            cell,
            > flexible foam suitable for flotation? Will be exposed, and
            styrofoam
            > dents too easily. For sorta Roar 2. Was going to use funnoodles,
            but
            > that season is past.

            Hi Lincoln,

            I was running the same exercise through my head for my Vireo.

            Have you considered putting a thin sheet of ply over the top of the
            foam. This can be finished any way you like to keep the boat looking
            good - paint/varnish, and should be pretty easy to epoxy to the sides
            of the boat. Gives plenty of durability, and hides the flotation.

            I did this on a Dudley Dix designed Argie 10, and used a sheet of
            cardboard to develop the pattern for the bow. (Slight divergence from
            the plan).

            A thought I had was to make a well with very thin ply (coz it's not
            structural), cut as a bulkhead at the rear of the aft crossmember,
            put in a number of PET lemonade bottles, and pour in some marine
            expanding foam mix, smooth off the top and put a sheet of thin ply on
            the top.

            What do you guys think?

            Have fun,

            Ashley
          • rnlocnil
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2002
              Might be a good idea. I have been considering it. After Saturday, when
              I carried it to the water by myself with the gear in it, weight is
              more of a consideration, tho I guess I could put it in the water and
              THEN add the gear.