Pickup Squared for newbie sailor seniors

  • Bryant Owen
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
      An older couple has recently asked me if I'd consider building them an
      Optie. A friend bought one recently and they (OK, the wife) thought
      it'd be nice to do some sailing. They are slowing down "active"
      seniors with some age problems. I'd question if an Optie would be a
      good choice. First, while active caneoists and power boaters, they
      have AFAIK no sailing experience. Second, I think an Optie would be a
      bit too "exciting". Third, they're both large adults - not fat but the
      husband is a sturdy 6'2".

      Anyhoo... I've been thinking that a slightly larger boat would be a
      better choice. It would need to be "Optie" like and a quick,
      inexpensive build. Pickup Squared struck me as a pretty close match.

      Questions:

      1. For a couple of reasons I think they may have problems with a
      balanced lug. I've been wondering about a scaled up version of the
      sprit Optie rig. Thoughts?

      2. Any thoughts about making this or any other choice senior-friendly?
      Actually, I'm getting closer to that point myself.

      Bryant
    • Carl
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
        What about Ladybug? Seems a perfect match...
[...]

      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
          For what it is worth, Stuart Reid built a scaled up Opti for adults that might work.

          As and older sailor, I find that I value chair height seating with reasonable back support over most other characteristics. My impression of pic up (both original and squared) is that the crew sits on the floor and I find this to be uncomfortable.

          I am very fond of a balanced lug rig because: 1) It uses a short mast which is easy to step and short spars. 2) It is more or less self vanging which prevents rhythmic rolling downwind. 3) It can be relied upon to come down quickly when the halyard is released. 4) I like the way it looks. A sprit rig has the major advantage that the foot can be brailed up out of the way while rowing.

          JohnT

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
            Hey Bryant. I always thought the balanced lug on the piccup was pretty easy to handle. But if there's a problem I don't know about, I don't see why you couldn't just rig the same sail as a sprit.
            --Rob

            Pickup Squared for newbie sailor seniors
            Posted by: "Bryant Owen" mariner@... b_owen_ca

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
              If they already have a canoe, you might consider setting that up for
              sailing. I've been sailing a canoe for about 5 years now with an Opti
              sail and it works quite well. The mast steps right behind the front
              seat on a 16' canoe so the front seat is available. I use a clamp-on
              rigging deck so everything is removable for lighter car-topping and
              paddling use only. Most canoes are more stable sailors than you'd
              think they'd be and in wind speeds less than 10 mph that Opti sail
              is quite easy to deal with.

              - Rob

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

              > An older couple has recently asked me if I'd consider building
              them an
              > Optie. A friend bought one recently and they (OK, the wife) thought
              > it'd be nice to do some sailing. They are slowing down "active"
              > seniors with some age problems. I'd question if an Optie would be a
              > good choice. First, while active caneoists and power boaters, they
              > have AFAIK no sailing experience. Second, I think an Optie would
              be a
              > bit too "exciting". Third, they're both large adults - not fat but
              the
              > husband is a sturdy 6'2".
              >
              > Anyhoo... I've been thinking that a slightly larger boat would be a
              > better choice. It would need to be "Optie" like and a quick,
              > inexpensive build. Pickup Squared struck me as a pretty close
              match.

              > Questions:
              >
              > 1. For a couple of reasons I think they may have problems with a
              > balanced lug. I've been wondering about a scaled up version of the
              > sprit Optie rig. Thoughts?
              >
              > 2. Any thoughts about making this or any other choice senior-
              friendly?
              > Actually, I'm getting closer to that point myself.
              >
              > Bryant

            • Bryant Owen
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                Thanks John.

                Do you have a link or some other info for Stuart's Optie?

                I was thinking about seating too. Definitely an issue with me with
                arthritis in my left hip and knee. These people are fairly used to
                canoeing and know that the Optie has no seat so I was presuming this
                to be a lesser issue. Now that you mention it though, I should think
                about it more.

                Re balanced rig. Certainly my preference. Part of my thinking of a
                spritsail was keeping the boat Optie looking and I was wondering if
                "hardening" the halyard/tack line would be an issue with older sailors.

                Bryant

                Comments appreciated.

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
                <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

                > For what it is worth, Stuart Reid built a scaled up Opti for adults
                that might work.

                > As and older sailor, I find that I value chair height seating with
                reasonable back support over most other characteristics. My
                impression of pic up (both original and squared) is that the crew sits
                on the floor and I find this to be uncomfortable.

                > I am very fond of a balanced lug rig because: 1) It uses a short
                mast which is easy to step and short spars. 2) It is more or less self
                vanging which prevents rhythmic rolling downwind. 3) It can be relied
                upon to come down quickly when the halyard is released. 4) I like the
                way it looks. A sprit rig has the major advantage that the foot can
                be brailed up out of the way while rowing.

                > JohnT

                9/2/2007 12:59 PM

              • Bryant Owen
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Thanks for the input, Rob. As a PP builder/sailor (Nice job, BTW!) you
                  have a unique insight. Interesting idea re rigging the sail as a
                  sprit. Will ponder.

                  Bryant

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hey Bryant. I always thought the balanced lug on the piccup was
                  pretty easy to handle. But if there's a problem I don't know about, I
                  don't see why you couldn't just rig the same sail as a sprit.
                  > --Rob
                  >

                  > Pickup Squared for newbie sailor seniors
                  > Posted by: "Bryant Owen" mariner@... b_owen_ca
                  > Date: Sun Sep 2, 2007 9:43 am ((PDT))
                  >
                  > An older couple has recently asked me if I'd consider building them an
                  > Optie. A friend bought one recently and they (OK, the wife) thought
                  > it'd be nice to do some sailing. They are slowing down "active"
                  > seniors with some age problems. I'd question if an Optie would be a
                  > good choice. First, while active caneoists and power boaters, they
                  > have AFAIK no sailing experience. Second, I think an Optie would be a
                  > bit too "exciting". Third, they're both large adults - not fat but the
                  > husband is a sturdy 6'2".
                  >
                  > Anyhoo... I've been thinking that a slightly larger boat would be a
                  > better choice. It would need to be "Optie" like and a quick,
                  > inexpensive build. Pickup Squared struck me as a pretty close match.
                  >
                  > Questions:
                  >
                  > 1. For a couple of reasons I think they may have problems with a
                  > balanced lug. I've been wondering about a scaled up version of the
                  > sprit Optie rig. Thoughts?
                  >
                  > 2. Any thoughts about making this or any other choice senior-friendly?
                  > Actually, I'm getting closer to that point myself.
                  >
                  > Bryant

                • John and Kathy Trussell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                    Stuart is from New Zealand and their boatbuilding sites are interesting, but a little erratic. Try www.woodenboat.net.nz and click on the Stuart Reid block which will get you to an e-mail link. I ordered a set of skiff plans from Stuart a year or so ago (it is still on my 'build it one day' list) and I found Stuart to be helpful, delivery was prompt, and the plans were complete, nicely drafted, and well thought out.

                    JohnT

                    <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

                    > For what it is worth, Stuart Reid built a scaled up Opti for adults
                    that might work.

                    > As and older sailor, I find that I value chair height seating with
                    reasonable back support over most other characteristics. My
                    impression of pic up (both original and squared) is that the crew sits
                    on the floor and I find this to be uncomfortable.

                    > I am very fond of a balanced lug rig because: 1) It uses a short
                    mast which is easy to step and short spars. 2) It is more or less self
                    vanging which prevents rhythmic rolling downwind. 3) It can be relied
                    upon to come down quickly when the halyard is released. 4) I like the
                    way it looks. A sprit rig has the major advantage that the foot can
                    be brailed up out of the way while rowing.

                    > JohnT

                    9/2/2007 12:59 PM

                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Hi,
                      Some info re 'Optimus maximus' at jwboatdesigns.co.nz.
                      I wouldnt bother with a standard Opti for adults as they're just too
                      small to carry the load. Our local club used to have an annual
                      Mums and Dads race for parents of Opti learners, but it was a bit
                      of a non-event as the boats don't go well loaded down that much and
                      get swamped too easily.
                      Cheers,
                      Alan.

                    • Bryant Owen