Re: Re: boarding ladders

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
      Interesting problem on the classic aluminum hull! I guess I'd make something like a giant clothespin on top. Like a 2x10 vertically on both outside and inside with a subtantial piece of filler wood between to get it to the right thickness to sandwich the transom. Heavy and awkward, but it should work and would preserve the hull in tact.
      --Rob

      Re: boarding ladders
      Posted by: "Bill Nolen" BGN5731@... billnolen66
      Date: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:27 am ((PDT))

      Hi Rob,

      Thank you very much for the reply. I believe that I will make a
      boarding ladder for the Harmonica using rope hinges, and a second
      ladder for my classic 1957 Richline alumuinum fishing boat using some
      house door hinges. I don't mind drilling holes in the transom of the
      Harmonica for the eye bolts, but, no way will I be drilling holes in
      the aluminum boat's hull!

      So it's a matter of determining how to extend some 3/4" plywood from
      the top of the transom down to the lower edge of the
      transom...without drilling any holes! Something to ponder on!! I seem
      to do much more pondering than actual working!

      Thanks again,

      Bill

    • Bill Nolen
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
        Rob, I ended up taking the easy way out and used the bolt holes that
        the factory drilled to hold the plywood-aluminum-plywood transom
        sandwich. On my boat the aluminum transom is sandwiched between two
        pieces of 3/4" plywood. Here is a photo showing the transom before I
        went crazy and started adding a fishfinder transducer and the ladder.

        http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20transom%20before%
        20changes1.JPG

        And a photo showing my ladder mounted. If you look closely you can
        see the four SS bolts that are holding the 3/4" ladder mounting board
        to the transom plywood. I have a 3/4" spacer under the mounting
        board. I'm going tp have to tweak the rope a bit to get the steps
        where I want them.

        http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%
        20open.2JPG.jpg

        Here is a close of the four house door hinges that I used for the
        step hinges. It will be interesting to see how long they last before
        rust sets in!

        http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%20hinges.jpg

        And two photos showing the ladder folded for travel.

        http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%20transom.jpg

        http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/images/Richline%20ladder%20closed%
        20right%20side.JPG

        If you or anyone else comes up with a design using one or two metal
        rods for the step hinges, i would sure like to view the design. I do
        want to build a boarding ladder for my Harmonica.

        Thanks Rob for all your help,

        Bill

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
        wrote:

        > Interesting problem on the classic aluminum hull! I guess I'd make
        something like a giant clothespin on top. Like a 2x10 vertically on
        both outside and inside with a subtantial piece of filler wood
        between to get it to the right thickness to sandwich the transom.
        Heavy and awkward, but it should work and would preserve the hull in
        tact.
        > --Rob

      • captreed48
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
          Hi Rob,

          I enjoy your comments. It's been hot this week in So. California, so
          I've gone sailing and swimming all week. I've used the Reed Smith type
          of boarding ladder for each as of the last 6 days. It works, but wow
          is it a lot of work to get back aboard.

          Your current boarding ladder looks easy to use...I'm going to give it a
          try.

          Reed Smith
        • Rob Rohde-Szudy
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            Hey Bill, very clever approach, using factory bolt holes. And that sure is a nice-looking ladder, painted to match and all. Almost looks like it came that way!

            As for your door hinges, they look pretty good. I just didn't have the patience to figure out how to do it. I'd smear 'em with some vaseline, and it will be quite a while before they start rusting.

            Good job!

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
              Thanks Reed! This is high praise indeed. Some of you might remember that Reed was the fellow who started Jim thinking on ladders, and then Jim's article got me thinking, and...you get the idea. I gotta remember to tell Kilburn how his idea is getting around!

              In any case, I think you'll really like this type of ladder. It is quite easy to climb, which is of course why I stole...uh, <cough> BORROWED it.

              --Rob

              Re: boarding ladders
              Posted by: "captreed48" captreed@... captreed48

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
                Thanks Rob for the kind words! And also my thanks to everyone who had
                a hand in designing this boarding ladder. It works!!!!!!

                ]