Re: [Michalak] Re: More JB Jr. questions

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hi Rob,
      I think have seen your boarding ladder someplace at the time I
      didn't need one but now I am finshing up an Elver and she is high
      sided. I am not real sure I'll be able to step aboard off the top of a
      trailer fender much less neck deep in the Chesapeake Bay. I looked on
      this groups home page and articles but have not found it. Can you post
      a link if it's on line?

      Thanks Doug

      Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:

      > Sounds like a really good setup, Rick. --Rob
      >

      > Re: More JB Jr. questions
      > Posted by: "Rick Bedard" sctree@... <mailto:sctree%40yahoo.com>
      > sctree
      > Date: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:44 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > Hey Garth,
      >
      > I guess I did not write clearly. The cleats are on the decks, (with
      > good backing - so you could lift the entire boat with just one). They are
      > tucked up close to the cabin bulkheads. The original idea was to have
      > good cleats (large) out of the way, as the decks are small. I recall
      > they are set just over an inch from the bulkhead windows and parallel to
      > them. What I quickly learned was the trick of using two, typically one
      > forward and one aft, and getting the boat to lie at an angle to
      > wavelets, often starboard stern quarter to the wind as the mast
      > downwind keeps
      > the hull from dancing on the rode. Keep in mind I always had the bitter
      > end of the rode tied to a bow eye in case things got wild and I needed
      > to lie bow to, and tied in a way that I could easily release it
      > completely in case I had to get out of Dodge in a rush.
      >
      > As to sleeping onboard, with the mattress forward to the maststep there
      > is no real dip in the middle, just a gentle slope to your knees the
      > level from there. This also allows a bunch of space at the foot of the
      > bunk for nighttime storage, and the mast base can be used to hang a
      > reading lantern and whatever you might need in the middle of night.
      >
      > Rick

    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2007
        No problem, here 'tis: