Re: Mast glue presure

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "freedomseeker25"
      <freedomseeker25@...> wrote:

      > I am going to glue the mast for my puccup pram this week. I was
      > thinking of using 2 inch drywall screws on 1 ft. centers for pressure.
      > Anyone tried this and does it look bad after putty and varnish? Or I
      > can use concrete blocks for pressure.

      Jim Michalak, in his boatbuilding book suggests the mono fishing line
      if one does not have at least a dozen clamps. I have also seen
      electrical tie-wraps used for mast clamping. One might make the boom
      first to test the method. (He uses Titebond II to glue up the
      laminations.)

      I would not drill unnecessary screw holes in a mast lay-up.In my mind
      it might have the potential to encourage stress cracks, but I could be
      wrong.