VOLE

  • woodbutcherboatbuilding
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
      I am current building a Vole and am about to glass the skeg on the
      bottom of the hull. Is the skeg needed if we are going to be sailing
      only or is it just needed in case of rowing?
      Pat H
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "woodbutcherboatbuilding"
        <hollabaugh@...> wrote:

        > I am current building a Vole and am about to glass the skeg on the
        > bottom of the hull. Is the skeg needed if we are going to be
        sailing
        > only or is it just needed in case of rowing?
        > Pat H

        The skeg is needed for (3) reasons, (2) of which
        you have mentioned.

        The third reason to have a skeg is that it acts
        as a "tail skid" when you pick up the bow and
        drag the boat up the shore so as to load it
        onto your car/truck/whatever, saving wear on the
        boat's bottom.

        Max
      • GarthAB
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2007
          Hi Pat --

          You'd need the skeg for rowing to keep such a short round boat from
          spinning in circles. I suppose a really steady rower could go
          straight ahead without it. . . . And for sailing, it has been part of
          Jim's "center of lateral resistance" calculations, so if you dropped
          it, the sail balance would be off.

          I'm in the midst of building a Vole, too, a bit modified from the
          plans -- with a 55 sq. ft. lugsail instead of the taller spritsail. I
          wanted to be able to stow all the spars in my bigger Cormorant, and
          use the Vole for both tender duty (rowing a family of four through
          harbors, etc.) and sailing duty (teaching my daughters to sail solo).
          I transplanted the small Piccup rig, being careful to keep center of
          sail effort the same. I also built in small seats fore and aft for
          when we're rowing. I'll sit on a removable box seat to do the actual
          rowing.

          And to make the forward seat accessible, I had to make the mast
          partner removable. It has a funky tie-down system of my own mad
          design. I sure hope it works.

          I hope to have it on the water sometime soon, and I'll post some
          pictures whenever that happens.

          I think it's a cool little boat -- very roomy and deep for its length,
          but with a surprising grace to her lines -- maybe capable of getting
          up on plane in a strong breeze. Good luck!

          All best,
          Garth