Re: Launch of the Nocturne

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
      I'm elated! I've been wanting to get a good look at one.
      --Rob

      Re: Launch of the Nocturne
      Posted by: "Jim Tucker" mrballast@... mrballast
      Date: Thu May 31, 2007 11:22 am ((PDT))

      Chris,

      We will be at Rend Lake. We're coming in Friday afternoon. My wife
      will leave almost immediately to pick my son at the Univ of Chicago
      and will return with him Saturday. Although the shakedown sail had
      some 'moments' it convinced me that the Normsboat is a great design
      and well worth building.

    • Jim Tucker
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
        Thanks, Rob. I'd be honored if you'd take the Nocturne for a sail.

        - In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...> wrote:

        > I'm elated! I've been wanting to get a good look at one.
        > --Rob
        >

        > Re: Launch of the Nocturne
        > Posted by: "Jim Tucker" mrballast@... mrballast
        > Date: Thu May 31, 2007 11:22 am ((PDT))
        >
        > Chris,
        >
        > We will be at Rend Lake. We're coming in Friday afternoon. My wife
        > will leave almost immediately to pick my son at the Univ of Chicago
        > and will return with him Saturday. Although the shakedown sail had
        > some 'moments' it convinced me that the Normsboat is a great design
        > and well worth building.

      • nadapesca
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2007
          wrote:

          > I agree on steering with the rudder. It's too fiddly with the motor
          > anyhow. With the rudder you can probably leave the tiller.
          >
          > For backing out a good pole cannot be beaten. Absolute certain
          > positioning with respect to the bottom, regardless of current. No
          motor
          > does that.
          >
          > I feel your pain on backing halfway to the middle of the lake. I
          have a
          > really shallow ramp here in Madison. I'm spoiled by the 24'
          schooner,
          > but this AF4B is tough to launch. I think I need to get rid of the
          13"
          > wheels and get 8" wheels. That'll drop it right down into the water
          AND
          > provide more space to lower the bunks. Food for thought.
          >
          > --Rob

          Thats a fact Rob, when under power, I just give the rudder a nudge
          here and there, stays on course by itself for the most part. I can
          light a cigar, finish my coffee, and reel in the trolling care
          without worring about staying on course.
        • antec007
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2007
            Congratulations on the New Boat.
            "Nocturne"
            Very Nice Name.

            I have a similar problem with my "PK-20" (20 ft. AF4 Type)

            My hull has a similar flat bottom and sits over the 5.70 X 8" trailer
            tires, so is high above the water while launching or retrieving.

            There is little problem with a steep ramp where I can float the boat
            off and on, but with a shallow ramp I have to back the tow vehicle
            rear tires into the water to get the boat off or on the trailer.
            I'm using an old trailer from another boat.
            Luckily this trailer had a 3" box tube tongue, so I was able to cut
            off the existing hitch and insert a 5 foot long piece of 2-1/2" tube
            inside the 3" tube.
            That gives me an tongue extension that, at almost all ramps now, gets
            the boat into the water without wetting tow vehicle tires or my feet.

            Also look into bolt on guides that center the boat when floating it on.
            Similar to these.
            http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=220
            Makes loading a Lot easier when you Can float the boat on, especially
            in a wind.
            I built my guides from some angle iron, padded with wood and Indoor-
            outdoor carpet.
            Much of the time, with the help of guides, I am able to drive my boat
            on the trailer.

            BTW If your are forced to use 8" wheels, check into 5.70 x 8 tires.
            They are conciderably larger so rotate less than little 4.80's and you
            can get load range up to "D" with up to 1075 load, whereas the little
            4.80's can be rated at 590 # or Less.
            The 5.70 tires will make the boat sit higher and make it even harder
            to launch and retrieve, but are better than the little 4.80's.
            Check your tire Ratings to make sure they are up to your boat.

            Hinging the tongue or frame so the trailer will tilt might be a help.
            Rollers Do help if you Have to winch your boat on.

            Before the tongue extension I tried unhitching the trailer a few
            times, but the tongue jack wheel was so tiny it got hung up on rocks
            and stuff and wouldn't pull back in very well when loaded.
            It was also kinda scary to watch the trailer disappear, hoping it
            would come back. <G>

            John Kohnen showed me how to solve that problem.
            He added a Castering 10" OD diameter pneumatic tire on 4" BB wheel to
            his trailer tongue jack.
            Castering wheel and 10" tire about ~$10 on Sale at Harbor Freight.
            Not only would that make rolling the unattached trailer into and out
            of water easier, but makes moving the trailer around on dirt or gravel
            surfaces easier too.
            It took some creative metalwork to mate the flange on the jack with
            the flange on the wheel, but works well.

            I'm hoping to add a wider axle and larger tire to this trailer so the
            boat will sit Between the wheels, lower and closer to the water for
            launching and retrieving and have stronger tires.

            Good Luck
            Have Fun
            Pat

            -- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Tucker" <mrballast@...> wrote:

            > Well, my wife Deb and I launched the Nocturne (Normsboat) yesterday
            > and things went pretty well. The change in the rig worked fine and we
            > found that by fiddling with the balancing sail and the lee board we
            > could produce everything from a fairly strong weather helm to a
            > pronounced lee helm. The boat is surprisingly fast. My wife was
            > particularly pleased with its speed and stability and soon had the
            > tiller out of my hands. We are both thrilled with the boat's design
            > and handling. Did have some problems, though. We bought a used
            > trailer and I adapted the existing bed for the Nocturne. This plan
            > worked perfectly except for the small problem that the boat stood so
            > high it hardly floated at the ramp. Not fine. Determined to sail, we
            > christened her and then pushed her off the trailer into the river.
            > Had a knot in my stomach all day about how in God's name we would ever
            > get the boat back on the trailer. In the end we managed to do it by
            > backing the truck to within a millimeter of the point of no return on
            > the ramp. Then, with Deb cranking and me on the stern jumping and
            > rocking, the winch slowly pulled the Nocturne far enough on to the
            > trailer for us to leave. Somehow all this did not rip the stem out.
            > Still, it wasn't pretty and there are some bass fishermen who got a
            > good story out of it. Redesign of the trailer bed is in progress.
            > Second problem was a traveler I designed (Jim Michalak has no
            > responsibility for this folly) which self destructed minutes after a
            > the mainsail was raised. With the sail up but not under control we
            > rather spoiled our departure by being blown back into the dock in
            > somewhat inelegant way. In time I managed a jury rig for the main
            > sheet and we were off. Kids fishing on the dock were impressed by the
            > boat, but probably not by the skipper. The final problem was that
            > we've mounted a 4hp outboard as auxiliary power, which drives us
            > forward nicely, but offers almost no directional control when in
            > reverse. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

          • Jim Tucker
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 5, 2007
              Thanks for the information and your kind comments. To solve the
              problem with the height Nocturne's trailer, I removed the existing
              bed, which was really meant for a bass boat, and installed three
              points of support similar to what Jim M. suggests in his book. It's
              hard to describe in words, though it's pretty simple when you see it,
              so I'll get a picture next time I launch. In any case, I had the boat
              out this Sunday and the change in the bed lowered the boat enough to
              launch and retrieve easily. That particular ramp is more or less
              average in it's slope, but we'll be using other ramps and if I need to
              drop the height more, I'm thinking of smaller wheels. The wheels on
              the trailer are 13" and I could go smaller, though I like the larger
              size if it doesn't cause trouble. Extending the tongue hadn't
              occurred to me, but it's worth considering if push comes to shove.
              Basically I'm hoping the problem is solved. There are 'goal posts' on
              the back of the trailer, but I'm thinking strongly of adding further
              guides on the center support to make it still easier to locate the
              boat on the trailer. Your suggestion of the bolt-on variety looks
              good. Both my launches with the Nocturne have been under pretty
              optimal conditions, no nasty cross winds and little wave action, but
              sometimes you need all the help you can get when when fate isn't so kind.