Re: Lead pour in Two tries OOPs

  • Alan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      If its in a square recess, surrounded by wood, why not just fill any
      remaining voids with epoxy and then put glass-cloth over the whole lot
      both sides?
      Cheers,
      Alan.
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "northwords44" <northwords44@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello all
      >
      > I am making a kick up rudder out of wood. I cut a square hole in
      > it to put in a lead sink weight. I melted the lead and poured it in
      and
      > oh no not enough lead, just over half full. I hurried to melt some
      more
      > and poured the rest in about 15 mins later. Any problem with this?
      Will
      > it still be melted together or is it very likly to fall out in 2
      pieces
      > when it hits its first rock?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for the help

    • petersimmons55409
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Greg
        I've made two kick up rudders, one for af3, and one for Skat, and I didn't melt enough lead
        either time, at first. Ended up pouring multiple layers both times. I've never had a
        problem.

        Also, I think the important question is, How did you prepare the cut-out? Did you either
        bevel the edges or hammer some small nails into the edges of the hole to keep the lead
        in? And, if so, does your second layer of lead interact with the bevels or nails sufficiently
        to be held in place?

        You could also smear some thickened epoxy into the seams between lead and wood. If in
        doubt, epoxy!

        Hope that helps. And I hope to see you at Lake Pepin!

        Pete

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "northwords44" <northwords44@...> wrote:

        > Hello all
        >
        > I am making a kick up rudder out of wood. I cut a square hole in
        > it to put in a lead sink weight. I melted the lead and poured it in and
        > oh no not enough lead, just over half full. I hurried to melt some more
        > and poured the rest in about 15 mins later. Any problem with this? Will
        > it still be melted together or is it very likly to fall out in 2 pieces
        > when it hits its first rock?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for the help

      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Pete's right - you should be fine. Sometimes you can close the gap at the edges by hammering the cooled lead to deform it. If you forgot the nails, just drill through the lead and into the wood at angles and set some long ones.
          --Rob

          Re: Lead pour in Two tries OOPs
          Posted by: "petersimmons55409" petersimmons55409@...
          petersimmons55409