Re: "Greenland" paddle

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2007

      > Hey Max. That sure looks like the hard way to build one! I made one
      from a red cedar 2x4. It was pretty easy to shape and it did work as
      advertised.

      > However this style of paddle seems to really be made for a narrow
      inuit type kayak - little wider than the paddler's butt. It loses its
      advantages as the beam increases. I'm no expert paddler, but I could
      tell Toto was really too wide to get the most out of it.

      Photos of the paddle I made, and the kayak I designed to
      go with it, are posted in the "photos" section

      Bye

      Max
    • Bill Turnbull
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 9, 2007
        A participant in the watertribe used the greenland style paddle exclusively
        for the race:

        http://kiwibirdkayaker.blogspot.com/2007/03/ec-gear-reflections-from-kiwibird.html

        Her kayak looks to be fairly narrow.

        Bill

        On 4/8/07, vexatious2001 <cadbury112@...> wrote:

        > > Hey Max. That sure looks like the hard way to build one! I made one
        > from a red cedar 2x4. It was pretty easy to shape and it did work as
        > advertised.
        > >
        > > However this style of paddle seems to really be made for a narrow
        > inuit type kayak - little wider than the paddler's butt. It loses its
        > advantages as the beam increases. I'm no expert paddler, but I could
        > tell Toto was really too wide to get the most out of it.
        > >

        > Photos of the paddle I made, and the kayak I designed to
        > go with it, are posted in the "photos" section

        > Bye
        >
        > Max

      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 9, 2007
          That boat looks narrower than Toto. I think you'll like the paddle in that context. I found the Greenland paddle put me more "in touch" with the water. And not just 'cause it dribbled all over me.
          --Rob

          Re: "Greenland" paddle
          Posted by: "vexatious2001" cadbury112@... vexatious2001
          Date: Sun Apr 8, 2007 6:45 pm ((PDT))

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 9, 2007
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
            wrote:

            > That boat looks narrower than Toto. I think you'll like the paddle
            in that context. I found the Greenland paddle put me more "in touch"
            with the water. And not just 'cause it dribbled all over me.
            > --Rob

            26 1/4 inches to outside of hull @ widest point.

            Hopefully wide-enough that it will not put
            me "in touch" with the water, as I am not
            into eskimo-rolling.

            I am trying to "split the difference" between
            what really should be called a double paddle
            canoe, and a "hard-core" kayak.

            Max

            Max
          • Thomas Hamernik
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 9, 2007
              I'm a new kayaker, too. I tried the conventional
              "european" style feathered paddle, then a West
              Greenland style paddle for my 23 1/2 beam kayak.
              Although a tad beamy when compared to a West
              Greenland-style kayak, the W. Greenland paddle works
              great.

              A traditional W. Greenland paddle is sized for the
              user, not the boat (the boat is sized to the user, as
              well, so by association, the boat and paddle are sized
              for each other), so you may have to make some
              adjustments to the paddle for a boat that is beamier
              than a traditional W. Greenland kayak for a given user
              (make it longer).

              --- vexatious2001 <cadbury112@...> wrote:

              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy
              > <robrohdeszudy@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > That boat looks narrower than Toto. I think you'll
              > like the paddle
              > in that context. I found the Greenland paddle put me
              > more "in touch"
              > with the water. And not just 'cause it dribbled all
              > over me.
              > > --Rob
              > >

              > 26 1/4 inches to outside of hull @ widest point.
              >

              > Hopefully wide-enough that it will not put
              > me "in touch" with the water, as I am not
              > into eskimo-rolling.
              >
              > I am trying to "split the difference" between
              > what really should be called a double paddle
              > canoe, and a "hard-core" kayak.
              >

              > Max
              >

              > Max

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
            • Thomas Hamernik
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 9, 2007
                I should add that I much prefer the W. Greenland
                paddle over the conventional paddle.

                TJH

                --- Thomas Hamernik <awellbalancedgun@...>
                wrote:

                > I'm a new kayaker, too. I tried the conventional
                > "european" style feathered paddle, then a West
                > Greenland style paddle for my 23 1/2 beam kayak.
                > Although a tad beamy when compared to a West
                > Greenland-style kayak, the W. Greenland paddle works
                > great.
                >
                > A traditional W. Greenland paddle is sized for the
                > user, not the boat (the boat is sized to the user,
                > as
                > well, so by association, the boat and paddle are
                > sized
                > for each other), so you may have to make some
                > adjustments to the paddle for a boat that is beamier
                > than a traditional W. Greenland kayak for a given
                > user
                > (make it longer).
                >

                > --- vexatious2001 <cadbury112@...> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy
                > > <robrohdeszudy@...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > That boat looks narrower than Toto. I think
                > you'll
                > > like the paddle
                > > in that context. I found the Greenland paddle put
                > me
                > > more "in touch"
                > > with the water. And not just 'cause it dribbled
                > all
                > > over me.
                > > > --Rob
                > > >

                > > 26 1/4 inches to outside of hull @ widest point.
                > >

                > > Hopefully wide-enough that it will not put
                > > me "in touch" with the water, as I am not
                > > into eskimo-rolling.
                > >
                > > I am trying to "split the difference" between
                > > what really should be called a double paddle
                > > canoe, and a "hard-core" kayak.
                > >

                > > Max
                > >

                > > Max

                > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail