Gypsy Harmonica Stuff!

  • Bill Nolen
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
      just a note to state that while I'm not working very fast these days I
      am making progress with the building of my Harmonica. I'm still planing
      on having it on the water in May...2007...I hope!

      I have posted a few more photos in the Photo Section. These photos most
      likely won't be of interest to anyone except a Harmonica fan...and
      those folks who like to view very poor workmanship...so their work
      won't seem so shoddy...but, all are welcome to take a peek if you so
      desire!

      Best wishes,

      Bill
    • Bryant Owen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
        Doing great, Bill. Keep it up.

        Bryant

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nolen" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

        > just a note to state that while I'm not working very fast these days I
        > am making progress with the building of my Harmonica. I'm still planing
        > on having it on the water in May...2007...I hope!
        >
        > I have posted a few more photos in the Photo Section. These photos most
        > likely won't be of interest to anyone except a Harmonica fan...and
        > those folks who like to view very poor workmanship...so their work
        > won't seem so shoddy...but, all are welcome to take a peek if you so
        > desire!

        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Bill

      • Chris Crandall
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
          > 3a. Gypsy Harmonica Stuff!
          > Posted by: "Bill Nolen" BGN5731@... billnolen66
          > Date: Mon Apr 2, 2007 7:39 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > just a note to state that while I'm not working very fast these days I
          > am making progress with the building of my Harmonica. I'm still planing
          > on having it on the water in May...2007...I hope!
          >
          > I have posted a few more photos in the Photo Section. These photos most
          > likely won't be of interest to anyone except a Harmonica fan...and
          > those folks who like to view very poor workmanship...so their work
          > won't seem so shoddy...but, all are welcome to take a peek if you so
          > desire!

          Looks interesting! Keep in mind you'll want limber holes everywhere,
          because water *will* get in, and you want it to drain and evaporate.

          One must assume that there will be water in the boat often, and will get
          everywhere along the hull bottom.

          I am very interested in how the high seats work out--if they work out,
          Jim should adopt the design idea. My seats are LOW.

          -Chris
        • Bill Nolen
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

            > Looks interesting! Keep in mind you'll want limber holes everywhere,
            > because water *will* get in, and you want it to drain and evaporate.
            >
            > One must assume that there will be water in the boat often, and will
            get
            > everywhere along the hull bottom.
            >
            > I am very interested in how the high seats work out--if they work
            out,
            > Jim should adopt the design idea. My seats are LOW.
            >
            > -Chris

            Chris,
            I did place limber holes in the outer edges of the two center bulkheads
            as called for by the plans. However, now that I am futher along with
            the construction I can see that more limber lines would be desirable.
            With two 1" by 4" boards running crosswise across the hull, there are
            just too many places where water can, and most likely collect! At this
            point I'm not sure how a person would go about adding additional limber
            holes. Any suggestions?

            I also need to add several vent holes in the seat fronts. Other than
            having ballast higher up in the hull, I can't think of any reason why
            the higher seats shouldn't work just fine. But, the real test will come
            with the actual use of the boat!

            I have added a 1-inch drain in the center of the stern bulkhead Which I
            hope will aid in draining water from the boat. I was planning on being
            able to store the boat in my little barn/boatworks/workshop, but the
            trailer may be too long. I'll just have to wait and see once I get the
            trailer modified for the Harmonica. Otherwise I'll use a good tarp and
            hope for the best!

            I spent the morning painting the sides with primer. I sure hate sanding
            and painting!!

            Bill