Re: gaff rig running backstays

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      I think you'd have to be in some pretty serious wind before this became an important consideration - far beyond what most of us are likely to find enjoyable.

      As an example, the Aussies who raced a light schooner like mine endured WAAAAAAAY more high wind and high water than I'd ever want to, in pursuit of trophies. They never needed a running backstay, and they had on downwind run, mostly surfing, where the averaged like 16 knots! I'm thinking that if a 3.5" freestanding softwood mast stands up to that, the rest of us are pretty safe.

      Hey, I see you ARE in Australia! Check out http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/INDEX.HTM. Tim Fatchen is the guy. He doesn't seem to answer email on his site anymore, but maybe you're close? (Closer than me, anyhow!)

      --Rob

      gaff rig running backstays
      Posted by: "Chris" julie_chris@... juliechris1
      Date: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:51 am ((PDT))

      with the freestanding mast would it be an idea
      to have running backstays for when you are sailing down wind.
      There tends to be a lot of pressure put on the mast with a gaff rig
      when sailing down wind.
      Has any one any ideas from actual sailing experience.

    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
        Hi Chris,

        > with the freestanding mast would it be an idea
        > to have running backstays for when you are sailing down wind.
        > There tends to be a lot of pressure put on the mast with a gaff
        rig
        > when sailing down wind.
        > Has any one any ideas from actual sailing experience.

        I sail a 23'-6" Bolger Light Schooner with a gaff cat schooner rig.
        The sails are identical at 103 ft**2 each. Although I enjoy running
        her wing-and-wing ("read'n both pages"), I don't do this in much
        wind to avoid the possibility of an unplanned jibe, which could be
        dangerous and destructive. Perhaps more practice with jibing would
        ease my mind, but I'd be concerned that with a running backstay, the
        chance for damage to the rig would be greater if she suddenly jibed
        with the backstay set up. Certainly you would be at more risk of
        taking a swim in this situation, since the backstay might prevent
        the boom from going where it wants to and thus cause a knockdown.

        In any case, all the driving force of the sail is shared between the
        mast and the sheet regardless of the point of sail. Beating and
        reaching, some of this force heels the boat, but then crew and hull
        weight is countering the heel, so there's still considerable bending
        force on the mast on those points of sail as well. If your mast is
        designed to be unstayed, I would leave it that way and possibly beef
        it up before adding a backstay, unless I planned to use it only for
        keeping a jib luff tight when sailing upwind.

        Jon Kolb
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
          <jon@...> wrote:
          >thank you Jon,
          excellent advice, I will do as you suggest