Re: Mayfly 16

  • Chris Feller
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 4, 2007
      To your first question. It is to give you the proper height above the
      water for a short shaft engine. The transom does not touch the water
      It will be approx. 3 to 5 inches above the water. If you add that
      amount to the distance from the bottom of the transom to the top of
      the motor board it should be 13 to 15 inches. This is how it is on my
      Philsboat. You can put a motor board on the inside or out. On Mayfly
      and my Philsboat he has placed it on the outside. I like this more
      because you get more room in the motor well and it is easer to build
      as well as offering more protection to the boat. Kind of a bumper.
      The holes in the bottom do not need to be plugged. The motor well is
      free flooding. This means that water can freely move into and out of
      it by design. In regard to the oarports if you want to row the boat
      cut the holes if not don't. People have done it either way. Jims
      designs are very well thought out. Some things at first glance seem
      strange but after you build or use the boat you will see why he
      designed it that way.

      Chris Feller

      > Just purchased the plan for Mayfly 16, and I do not understand 1)why I
      > need to cut the transom that low. I also do not understand the
      > advantages of attaching the motor board on the outside since it will
      > get in the way when installing the rudder. This different from what
      > I saw on the website (George Fulk's prototype) 2)The motor well has
      > holes at the bottom. Do I need to plug the holes when sailing? 3) I
      > understantd the reason for oarports on the side but something tells me
      > I should not cut these holes? I would appreciate any ideas/answers on
      > these topics.

    • ptfrohne
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 31
        I took a different route,  and built up the rudder with stepped 1/8in plywood.   Then faired it with drywall compound before glassing.  On my wife's 18ft Buccaneer, I used paper mache.

        What if it gets a hole in it?  Nothing.  I put a hole in both just to see what happens.  The rudders aren't in the water long enough on any given outing to do much more damage other then the usual wear and tear.  And I'm a reliability engineer.

        Phil
        Uncle Johns skiff

        Sent on the new Sprint Network from my Samsung Galaxy S®4.