More Harmonica stuff!

  • BGN5731@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
      Greetings!

      This past week the weather has been much warmer in Oklahoma City, so I was
      able to do a little work on my Harmonica. The majority was building the
      cabinet work for the operator's seat, and the most important feature of all...a
      cabinet to hold my trusty-never-go-anywhere-without PORTA-POTTY!! Hey, when you
      get to my age such things are very important. And, if you want the fair ladies
      to go boating with you....

      Anyway, if you are interested I have added some more photos at:

      If you just want to see the porta-potty cabinet, stove shelf, and storage
      area just click here:

      Think good thoughts...Spring is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Bill

      http://www.aol.com

    • ccurtis-keyword-sailboat.a927b9@mval.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
        Greetings Bill. Thanks for posting your shots, your build is comming
        along nicely!

        Chris Curtis

        > Greetings!
        >
        > This past week the weather has been much warmer in Oklahoma City, so I
        > was
        > able to do a little work on my Harmonica. The majority was building the
        > cabinet work for the operator's seat, and the most important feature of
        > all...a
        > cabinet to hold my trusty-never-go-anywhere-without PORTA-POTTY!! Hey,
        > when you
        > get to my age such things are very important. And, if you want the fair
        > ladies
        > to go boating with you....
        >
        > Anyway, if you are interested I have added some more photos at:
        >
        > If you just want to see the porta-potty cabinet, stove shelf, and storage
        > area just click here:
        >
        > Think good thoughts...Spring is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        >
        > Bill
        >

        > <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free
        > email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at
        > http://www.aol.com

      • Bryant Owen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
          Looking good. Great pics. Will definitely help when I build mine.

          Bryant

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, BGN5731@... wrote:

          > Greetings!
          >
          > This past week the weather has been much warmer in Oklahoma City,
          so I was
          > able to do a little work on my Harmonica. The majority was building
          the
          > cabinet work for the operator's seat, and the most important feature
          of all...a
          > cabinet to hold my trusty-never-go-anywhere-without PORTA-POTTY!!
          Hey, when you
          > get to my age such things are very important. And, if you want the
          fair ladies
          > to go boating with you....
          >
          > Anyway, if you are interested I have added some more photos at:

          > If you just want to see the porta-potty cabinet, stove shelf, and
          storage
          > area just click here:
          >
          > Think good thoughts...Spring is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now
          offers free
          > email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at
          > http://www.aol.com

        • howgegoboat
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2007
            Great pictures how do you think you will finish interior?
            Paint, stain? epoxy? stain looks good with pine. and allows it to
            breath, I heard that epoxying wood both sides is not good for it as
            it cannot brrathe but not sure of it. Paint often creates rot thouth
            esp when wood is damp and wood cannot breath.
            It looks good though an inspiration to me.
            Yours James

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bryant Owen" <mariner@...> wrote:

            > Looking good. Great pics. Will definitely help when I build mine.
            >
            > Bryant
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, BGN5731@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings!
            > >
            > > This past week the weather has been much warmer in Oklahoma City,
            > so I was
            > > able to do a little work on my Harmonica. The majority was
            building
            > the
            > > cabinet work for the operator's seat, and the most important
            feature
            > of all...a
            > > cabinet to hold my trusty-never-go-anywhere-without PORTA-POTTY!!
            > Hey, when you
            > > get to my age such things are very important. And, if you want the
            > fair ladies
            > > to go boating with you....
            > >
            > > Anyway, if you are interested I have added some more photos at:

            b=82&m=t&o=0_

            b=82&m=t&o=0)

            > > If you just want to see the porta-potty cabinet, stove shelf, and
            > storage
            > > area just click here:
            > >
            > > Think good thoughts...Spring is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            > >
            > > Bill
            > >

            > > <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now
            > offers free
            > > email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at
            > > http://www.aol.com

          • Bill Nolen
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2007
              Thanks Guys,

              I keep changing my mind about the painting, but, at this moment I
              plan on painting all interior surfaces with a acrylic based paint. I
              have read that acrylic paint will breath unlike epoxy, but frankly
              don't have the foggiest idea whether or not this is a good or bad
              thing. My decision is based solely on cost factors!

              My plan is to keep the Harmonica inside out of the weather when not
              in use. With any luck at all I should be able to use it for several
              years without any major wood rot.

              I read on another boating site that people were using auto anti-
              freeze on wood as a rot preventive. Anyone know anything about the
              merits of doing this? Dangers??

              Bill

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "howgegoboat" <howgegoboat@...>
              wrote:

              > Great pictures how do you think you will finish interior?
              > Paint, stain? epoxy? stain looks good with pine. and allows it to
              > breath, I heard that epoxying wood both sides is not good for it as
              > it cannot brrathe but not sure of it. Paint often creates rot
              thouth
              > esp when wood is damp and wood cannot breath.
              > It looks good though an inspiration to me.
              > Yours James

            • Chris Feller
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2007
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nolen" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Guys,
                I believe if you keep your boat inside most of the time except when
                being used you will probably never see any rot. I sometimes think
                people worry more about rot than they need to. My house trim just now
                is starting to rot. It is cheap pine and my house is 15 years old.
                Your boat will probably never see as hard use as the trim on a house.

                Chris Feller

                > I keep changing my mind about the painting, but, at this moment I
                > plan on painting all interior surfaces with a acrylic based paint. I
                > have read that acrylic paint will breath unlike epoxy, but frankly
                > don't have the foggiest idea whether or not this is a good or bad
                > thing. My decision is based solely on cost factors!
                >
                > My plan is to keep the Harmonica inside out of the weather when not
                > in use. With any luck at all I should be able to use it for several
                > years without any major wood rot.
                >
                > I read on another boating site that people were using auto anti-
                > freeze on wood as a rot preventive. Anyone know anything about the
                > merits of doing this? Dangers??
                >
                > Bill
                >

                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "howgegoboat" <howgegoboat@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Great pictures how do you think you will finish interior?
                > > Paint, stain? epoxy? stain looks good with pine. and allows it to
                > > breath, I heard that epoxying wood both sides is not good for it as
                > > it cannot brrathe but not sure of it. Paint often creates rot
                > thouth
                > > esp when wood is damp and wood cannot breath.
                > > It looks good though an inspiration to me.
                > > Yours James

              • howgegoboat
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
                  HI
                  Might be worth drilling some 1" holes at the bottom of cabinets so as
                  too allow vetilation (these could be covered by brass louvered
                  plates, but not of course bouyancy tanks, which are best served with
                  inspection hatches, which if possible would be left off whilst in
                  storage to prevent moisture encroaching. Use a good wood preserver
                  before you paint and thin paint 50 / 50 thinners for first coat as
                  this will cut rot opportunities.
                  Yours James

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Nolen" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Guys,
                  >
                  > I keep changing my mind about the painting, but, at this moment I
                  > plan on painting all interior surfaces with a acrylic based paint.
                  > have read that acrylic paint will breath unlike epoxy, but frankly
                  > don't have the foggiest idea whether or not this is a good or bad
                  > thing. My decision is based solely on cost factors!
                  >
                  > My plan is to keep the Harmonica inside out of the weather when not
                  > in use. With any luck at all I should be able to use it for several
                  > years without any major wood rot.
                  >
                  > I read on another boating site that people were using auto anti-
                  > freeze on wood as a rot preventive. Anyone know anything about the
                  > merits of doing this? Dangers??
                  >
                  > Bill
                  >

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "howgegoboat" <howgegoboat@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Great pictures how do you think you will finish interior?
                  > > Paint, stain? epoxy? stain looks good with pine. and allows it to
                  > > breath, I heard that epoxying wood both sides is not good for it
                  as
                  > > it cannot brrathe but not sure of it. Paint often creates rot
                  > thouth
                  > > esp when wood is damp and wood cannot breath.
                  > > It looks good though an inspiration to me.
                  > > Yours James

                • Chris Crandall
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
                    >Might be worth drilling some 1" holes at the bottom of cabinets so as
                    >too allow ventilation (these could be covered by brass louvered
                    >plates, but not of course buoyancy tanks, which are best served with
                    >inspection hatches, which if possible would be left off whilst in
                    >storage to prevent moisture encroaching. Use a good wood preserver
                    >before you paint and thin paint 50 / 50 thinners for first coat as
                    >this will cut rot opportunities.

                    This is all good advice.

                    I used antifreeze at one point in making my Harmonica. The only issue
                    that I worried about was adhesion, post-antifreeze. I experienced no
                    problems.

                    I recommend an excellent latex primer. I used Kilz, and like it.

                    Then, I used a exterior latex paint. I recommend it.

                    The key thing is to keep water out of the boat--it's fresh water inside
                    the boat that is the enemy. If you keep it out, rot will NOT be a problem.

                    -Chris
                  • Philip Frohne
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
                      RE: Boat paint. This is a great article on boat paint: http://www.simplicityboats.com/latexcarnel.html

                      I would be careful of anti-freeze on the outside of the boat. There are laws against hazardous waste at sea/lake/pond/puddle. Try these links (there are many others):
                      http://boatbuilding.com/article.php/ChemotherapyforRot
                      http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/wood/wood5.htm

                      The best way to retardt rot is to keep the boat in an environment where rot is resistant to start. On the other hand, rot gives us an excuse to work on the boat. I discovered rot on my boat after only 1 season (latex housepaint) but I think it was there from the beginning (bad sheet of exterior grade ply with hidden voids). I was looking forward to it because it would give me experience in identifying rot, seeing the effects of rot, watching the propogation of rot, performing a plywood skin repair in removing the rot, and a chance to play with the boat for a couple afternoons. Fortunately, the rot was in a very accessable area easily repaired. If it hadn't, I'd be converting my boat into BTUs in the fireplace.

                      On a 2nd thread, I replaced the twin leeboards with a daggerboard. I didn't want to use a permanent leeboard mount, and the removable thwart idea (same as canoes) was a pain to use. The hardest part was cutting a hole in the bottom of a perfectly watertight hull. I'll just have to remember to pull it up when beaching, like remembering to lower one's landing gear before landing a plane. There are 2 types of pilots - those who have forgotten once, and those who will again.

                      Phil
                      St. Louis

                    • Ken Grome
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
                        > http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/wood/wood5.htm

                        Hannu mentions zinc naphthenate on his web site as an anti-rot treatment, but
                        far more common is copper naphthenate. The copper variety discolors the wood
                        and the zinc does not (from what I've read) but I think copper naphthenate is
                        more effective.

                        The potential problem with these naphthenates is that I don't think anyone has
                        ever done any testing of their effects on epoxy adhesion. West Systems did
                        such tests on 50/50 dilutions of Ethylene Glycol and learned that their epoxy
                        sticks better to EG-treated wood than to untreated wood.

                        They also learned that borates in certain concentrations degrade the
                        epoxy-wood bond, so there's something to watch out for if you're using epoxy
                        to hold your boats together.

                        Sincerely,
                        Kenneth Grome
                        Bagacay Boatworks
                        www.bagacayboatworks.com
                      • Bill Nolen
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
                          Hi Chris C, Chris T, Ken, Paul and Howgegoboat,

                          The paint article was interesting, and I am using Kilz acrylic primer
                          and acrylic paint on the Harmonica, both insides and out. Before I
                          start painting the bunks, seats and cabinets I will drill some
                          ventilation holes.

                          Chris C., as I have stated before…I really like the colors and paint
                          scheme of your Harmonica. I'm trying very hard to control myself and
                          not just copy your boat! I am leaning towards some awful gaudy paint
                          scheme something on the lines of a Chinese Junk.

                          I believe the way you have shaped and painted the motorboard on your
                          Harmonica really makes the stern look attractive. I have been
                          thinking about installing a 1 x 6 inch board, something like your
                          motorboard, on the stern to dress it up a bit. If I go with the
                          Chinese decor I'll add some Chinese characters to the upper stern
                          panels.

                          However, I've found that most times my efforts and accomplishments
                          fall far short to my many idea's…so who knows what I'll actually do!

                          Thanks everyone for the comments.

                          Bill