Re: Anyone own/built Jim's Caprice?

  • Mike Mulcahy
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
      Chuck,
      Are you still towing Caprice behind a 4 cylinder pickup? I ask because
      I pull my (stretched) Philsboat behind a 4 cylinder (standard
      transmission) pickup and had a little trouble getting the boat up a
      steep ramp with a rocky bottom last summer.
      Mike
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
        No. I traded it in for a four cylinder Xterra. I like this one better as
        it has more room for camping gear that you don't want rained on. Have I spun
        a tire or two when pulling a boat out of the water? Sure, but I really like
        the 24 mpg when I am not towing.
        Chuck
        ________________________

        Chuck,
        Are you still towing Caprice behind a 4 cylinder pickup? I ask because
        I pull my (stretched) Philsboat behind a 4 cylinder (standard
        transmission) pickup and had a little trouble getting the boat up a
        steep ramp with a rocky bottom last summer.
        Mike
      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
          What you think we all don't want to hear that?! I say lay it on the group, man.
          --Rob

          Re: Anyone own/built Jim's Caprice?
          Posted by: "Chuck Leinweber" chuck@...
          momcat_78631
          Date: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am ((PST))

          Thanks, Rob, Chris has contacted me privately and I will try to answer
          his
          questions there. I do want to say that I think the Caprice is the best
          trailer-sailer ever designed. It is light, strong, easy to build,
          seaworthy, fast, simple to rig, economical, shoal draft, commodious,
          can you
          tell I like this boat?
          Chuck

        • joe_mapango
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
            Chuck re-confirmed to me that he still likes the boat. I wanted to
            hear from an actual owner/sailor their opinion. One question I
            asked was what he would change the next time, and he liked it just the
            way it was.

            I ordered the plans a few days ago. Now I just need to finish my
            Philsboat, and convince my wife I'm not going mad to get started.

            Chris Curtis

            P.S. Nice (new) article Rob. Each time I read one of your articles,
            I get a bit closer to being comfortable enough to buy/own an outboard.

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
            wrote:

            > What you think we all don't want to hear that?! I say lay it on the
            group, man.
            > --Rob
            >

            > Re: Anyone own/built Jim's Caprice?
            > Posted by: "Chuck Leinweber" chuck@...
            > momcat_78631
            > Date: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am ((PST))
            >
            > Thanks, Rob, Chris has contacted me privately and I will try to answer
            > his
            > questions there. I do want to say that I think the Caprice is the best
            > trailer-sailer ever designed. It is light, strong, easy to build,
            > seaworthy, fast, simple to rig, economical, shoal draft, commodious,
            > can you
            > tell I like this boat?
            > Chuck

          • vexatious2001
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2007
              > I pull my (stretched) Philsboat behind a 4 cylinder (standard
              > transmission) pickup and had a little trouble getting the boat up a
              > steep ramp with a rocky bottom last summer.

              I used to tow the AF4 behind a 4-cylinder manual
              transmisison 2 wheel drive Mazda pickup and never
              had any problems.

              A truck scale said the boat on trailer weighed
              1300 lbs (until I started throwing things out of
              it.)

              Jim M now uses the very truck for towing his AF4
              and Birdwatcher (I made him a deal on it.)

              Max